Sox won't be adding an everyday starter

beck72

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
From reading Pittsburgh media, if they decide to trade they'd be looking for corner outfielders and young pitching.

They can't expect to get major league ready guys for both spots in a deal for Mackowiak. Kip Wells, maybe. But two prospects--one AAAA guy like Felix Diaz and a decent AA, high A guy like Chris Young, could do it.

They can't expect to get major league ready guys for both spots in a deal for Mackowiak. Kip Wells, maybe. But two prospects--one AAAA guy like Felix Diaz and a decent AA, high A guy like Chris Young, could do it.

At the moment it doesn't appear the Pirates are in any hurry to dump players. That could change, but McClendon is under a lot of pressure and so is Littlefield. The fans and media there are tired of the constant losing, and tired of dumping guys every July.

The other issue is, they love Mackowiak, he's been there a long time and does a lot of PR stuff for the franchise. Not to mention something has clicked for him at the plate this year.

It will not be easy to pry him away, my guess is quite a number of teams would be interested in Mackowiak and other Pirate players. IMO Felix Diaz would net the Sox next to nothing in a trade. Chris Young might have some value but my impression is the Pirates want someone closer to ML ready, and Young is still rather raw and striking out in bunches. Borchard as you know appears to have very little value, seeing as this is his last option year.

You also correctly identify the Pirates as having a glut of middle IF types, so as you suggest it's doubtful they will want to add anyone there.

Unless the Pirates are hot for some lower level young pitching, I'm struggling with seeing a trade match up. Then again, stranger things have happened.

But I do like Grabow, the lefthander, and I definitely like Mackowiak. Both IMO would be excellent fits here. The Sox can't go on indefinitely with no backup 1B.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
At the moment it doesn't appear the Pirates are in any hurry to dump players.  That could change, but McClendon is under a lot of pressure and so is Littlefield.  The fans and media there are tired of the constant losing, and tired of dumping guys every July.

The other issue is, they love Mackowiak, he's been there a long time and does a lot of PR stuff for the franchise.  Not to mention something has clicked for him at the plate this year.

It will not be easy to pry him away, my guess is quite a number of teams would be interested in Mackowiak and other Pirate players.  IMO Felix Diaz would net the Sox next to nothing in a trade.  Chris Young might have some value but my impression is the Pirates want someone closer to ML ready, and Young is still rather raw and striking out in bunches.  Borchard as you know appears to have very little value, seeing as this is his last option year.

You also correctly identify the Pirates as having a glut of middle IF types, so as you suggest it's doubtful they will want to add anyone there. 

Unless the Pirates are hot for some lower level young pitching, I'm struggling with seeing a trade match up.  Then again, stranger things have happened.

But I do like Grabow, the lefthander, and I definitely like Mackowiak.  Both IMO would be excellent fits here.  The Sox can't go on indefinitely with no backup 1B.

I know you weren't suggesting that Mclendon should be on the hot seat but I personally think he does a fantastic job for what he's given but that's jmo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
I know you weren't suggesting that Mclendon should be on the hot seat but I personally think he does a fantastic job for what he's given but that's jmo.

McLendon is a damn good manager, the Pirates really don't have much on that roster besides Oliver Perez (and he's been struggling), yet they're 30-34. they could be in the thick of things if they still had Giles and Kendall.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
McLendon is a damn good manager, the Pirates really don't have much on that roster besides Oliver Perez (and he's been struggling), yet they're 30-34.  they could be in the thick of things if they still had Giles and Kendall.

but they dont and they havent done anything to say they are a good enough team to compete in the nl central, mclendon is done and the team needs to move on period

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
but they dont and they havent done anything to say they are a good enough team to compete in the nl central, mclendon is done and the team needs to move on period

That's not McLendon's fault. If anyone should go, it should be Littlefield. Actually, it should be the owners.

Im surprised on how well the Pirates are doing. Did anybody expect them to be 4 games under .500 64 games through the season? I didn't. McLendon has done a fabulous job with what he has in Pittsburgh. The Pirates management should go, not him.

Edited by sayitaintso