Best 2B in the league...

nitetrain8601

Let's see.

-Brian Roberts - hasn't proved it over the long haul, great year though.

-Jeff Kent - put up consistent power and RBI numbers not to high average, decent OBP

-Alfonso Soriano - gets my nod despite shotty defense. Consistently great all-around offensive numbers. Low OVP and high K's and defense keep him from superstar status, IMO.

-Chase Utley - putting up good numbers this year emerging to the top tier.

So yeah - Soriano mainly because there is not a lot of competition. Roberts could challenge him if he maintains his pace and adds a few more consistent seasons.

Edited by WHarris1

When healthy, Jose Vidro is near the top of the list.

Chase Utley is having a solid season and making himself a viable candidate.

Brian Roberts is having a great year, but I think he's playing a little over his head.

If Jose Reyes can play up to his potential anytime soon, he'll be right up there.

I can't believe Tadahito Iguchi hasn't gotten even a mention as one of the best yet.

Still, as of right now, I'd take Soriano's combo of power and speed over any other 2B.

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
Tadahito hasn't played a full year in the majors, so he can't possibly be classified as one of the best.

But, as of right now, I wouldn't trade him for any of the other 2B.

Well, maybe Roberts. :ph34r: :D

Soriano is probably the best at the moment, he's probably the 2B closest to being a 5-tool guy (needs to improve fielding).

I do like my 2B to be more of a role-player on a team in terms of offense. A 2B ideally should be the #1 or #2 hitter on the team, I think.

Dunno why, but I've always liked Luis Castillo. Good average, very good steals (will usually be near the top in steals) and can be an excellent leadoff hitter (even though Pierre is the leadoff hitter in Florida, as it should be). Also, good defensively, IIRC.

Some guys who haven't been mentioned so far;

Ronnie Belliard - .289/.330/.451. Not hitting like a 1 year wonder.

Ryan Freel - .287/.401/.407. Now that he's the full - time 2nd baseman, he's starting to get noticed a lot more. 17 SB's as well.

Chone Figgins - Excellent lead off guy, has 21 SB's, hitting .264, room for imporvement.

Craig Counsell - Laugh if you will, but a guy who has a .389 OBP and a .818 OPS is doing a lot better than other 2nd baseman in the league. Has 35 BB's. :wub:

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 03:56 AM)
Dunno why, but I've always liked Luis Castillo.  Good average, very good steals (will usually be near the top in steals) and can be an excellent leadoff hitter (even though Pierre is the leadoff hitter in Florida, as it should be).  Also, good defensively, IIRC.

The defense should be numero uno when discussing Luis Castillo. He is perhaps the best defensive second baseman in the majors (at least top 3).

He is also hitting .330 with a .425 OBP this year.

This is a bizarre thread. Chase motherf***ing Utley gets ranked ahead of Castillo? Tadahito Iguchi, LOL? :ph34r: