Inside the numbers...

Capn12

Thought I'd take a closer look at El Duques stats so far this year to see if anything really stood out at me:

duque.jpg

Granted its limited sample size, but his difference in performance indoors vs. outdoors, and grass vs. turf are quite astounding.

Also, heres the numbers on Duque's last 4 starts:

19.1 IP, 28 H, 20 R, 20 ER, 4 HR, 9 BB, 14K, 9.31 ERA, 1.91 WHIP

Yikes

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 02:52 AM)
For my first post I would like to say.....7-2 looks good to me!

Record does yes, but 4.81 ERA, 1.63 WHIP, .292 BAA makes me want to repeatedly :puke

WHIPs that high are a telling sign that Duque has gotten VERY good support, both defensively and offensively, to have 7 wins

I believe he was 5-1 with a 2.91 ERA through 7 starts. Then he got beat up in 2.2 IP against Texas before he went on the DL.

His first two starts coming back from the DL he went 6 IP gave up 4 ERs and won both decisions before getting beat up by Zona.

Besides the Zona and Texas starts he is 7-1 with a 3.57 ERA in 9 starts. I'll take some overall bad stats if 9 out of 11 starts are that solid. Especially from a guy who isn't in the top 3 in the rotation.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 03:04 AM)
I believe he was 5-1 with a 2.91 ERA through 7 starts.  Then he got beat up in 2.2 IP against Texas before he went on the DL. 

His first two starts coming back from the DL he went 6 IP gave up 4 ERs and won both decisions before getting beat up by Zona.

Besides the Zona and Texas starts he is 7-1 with a 3.57 ERA in 9 starts.  I'll take some overall bad stats if 9 out of 11 starts are that solid.  Especially from a guy who isn't in the top 3 in the rotation.

Welcome, and great post.

You've obviously met the eternal pessimists...

:gosox3:

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 03:04 AM)
I believe he was 5-1 with a 2.91 ERA through 7 starts.  Then he got beat up in 2.2 IP against Texas before he went on the DL. 

Besides the Zona and Texas starts he is 7-1 with a 3.57 ERA in 9 starts.  I'll take some overall bad stats if 9 out of 11 starts are that solid.  Especially from a guy who isn't in the top 3 in the rotation.

His peripherals have been some of the worse in the entire league, especially for a pitcher with as many wins compared to losses like him. Realistically contreras deserves to be seven and two way, way before hernadez does. But that is now how baseball works.

El Duque's WHIP has been s***ty all season. You can't have a 1.63 WHIP and maintain a 2.91 ERA. Sooner or later it was going to come back and bite him in the ass. He was luckily getting out of almost every jam unscathed through those first 7 starts. Not anymore.

Edited by Jabroni

Wins and ERA are NOT a definate form of rating a pitchers effectiveness. The fact that his WHIP has been s*** all season, coupled with the BAA at almost .300, goes a long way to saying how effective Duque has been. The overruling fact is he has gotten the defensive and offensive support to get him 7 wins, not because he went out and had a great command of things.

5.7 runs per game is what the offense is giving Duque.

Lets compare that with our other starters:

3.8 runs per game for Buehrle

3.6 runs per game for Contreras

4.8 runs per game for Garcia

6.2 runs per game for Garland

Now, with that being said, that is runs scored in each game those guys pitched in, not necessarily runs scored WHILE they were in there. But still gives a general observation as to runs scored for each starter. About what we already knew. Garland has been getting a helluva lot of support, Duque too...Buehrle and Contreras on the other hand...

I go back and forth on the Duke but the numbers don't lie here. They aren't just inflated by one game or anything. The truth is that he's been mediocre to bad for quite some time now. I still don't think he's with the Sox in 06. In fact, there is a very good chance he doesn't finish the season with the Sox this year. His contract is actually moveable and there could be a move int he offing a la Contreras for Loaiza involving el Duque

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 12:49 AM)
Well, this should be fun monday when im at the game.

El Duque v. Lima. That game could go either way. With the Royals being 13-6 under Buddy Bell, who knows.

I think his walks get him into trouble more than anything. That's what leads to his big innings most of the time. He's been the most frustrating starting pitcher of the year. Or they brought back from the DL too soon. :huh

Edited by robinventura23

For what its worth his 1.45 WHIP in the 9 starts where he wasn't shelled would put him 78th in the majors. Equivalent to an average #3 starter. The 1.63 WHIP would make him equivalent to an average #4 starter.

So even with those numbers he seems worthwhile as a #5 starter. Plus the fact that he does a better job than most pitching out of trouble and has a history of pitching much more effectively than he is right now and you have a player that isn't going anywhere unless he is hurt or completely implodes.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
There is 1 more set of split lines that we shouldn't forget with El Duque:

ERA  wins losses innings games

Postseason 3.59 16 9 223.0 35

And I am sure that his August and September numbers are pretty similar. Hernandez is money when it counts. Period.