Does Konerko not like Uribe or something?

Jabroni

First, Konerko calls out Uribe for tricking Derek Lee on that foul ball in the Cubs series and now he says this...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Konerko defended former Sox teammate Royce Clayton, whose two miscues for Arizona fueled a 10-run sixth inning Wednesday.

"He's the best shortstop I ever played with, period," Konerko said. "No one is even close to him. I think the wetness of the ball had something to do with [the throwing error]."

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pauly, if I could just show you a couple things right quick...

Year Team G   AB  R   H 2B 3B HR RBI BB  K SB CS AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS     
2001 CWS 135 433 62 114 21  4  9  60 33 72 10  7.263 .315 .393 .708   
2002 CWS 112 342 51  86 14  2  7  35 20 67  5  1.251 .295 .366 .661

What part of The Choice's game was "best ever" may I ask while he was here? His fantastic OBP? Those 15 SBs he got in 247 games? Maybe those 53 Walks he took! I don't doubt that Choice had a pretty solid defensive game, but no way in hell does he posess an arm like Uribe, and Uribe has a HELLUVA lot more offensive ability than K-layton.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 06:02 AM)
Pauly, if I could just show you a couple things right quick...

Year Team G   AB  R   H 2B 3B HR RBI BB  K SB CS AVG  OBP  SLG  OPS     
2001 CWS 135 433 62 114 21  4  9  60 33 72 10  7.263 .315 .393 .708   
2002 CWS 112 342 51  86 14  2  7  35 20 67  5  1.251 .295 .366 .661

What part of The Choice's game was "best ever" may I ask while he was here? His fantastic OBP? Those 15 SBs he got in 247 games? Maybe those 53 Walks he took! I don't doubt that Choice had a pretty solid defensive game, but no way in hell does he posess an arm like Uribe, and Uribe has a HELLUVA lot more offensive ability than K-layton.

Amigo, what do Clayton's offensive stats have to do with his playing shortstop? Clayton has been and remains a pretty good defensive shortstop, his strength being steadiness. He has a good arm, not great and good range, not great but rarely pulls a boner like the other night. His D is what keeps him in the big leagues, so his mistakes were remarkable and Kornerko remarked on them.

Amigo, what do Clayton's offensive stats have to do with his playing shortstop?  Clayton has been and remains a pretty good defensive shortstop, his strength being steadiness.  He has a good arm, not great and good range, not great but rarely pulls a boner like the other night.  His D is what keeps him in the big leagues, so his mistakes were remarkable and Kornerko remarked on them.

Correction: 2 boners. ;)

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 07:14 AM)
Correction:  2 boners. ;)

I debated that too, but only one went for an E so I was conservative. What I think happened on the freeze play is he was the most surprised guy in the park when the ball got through Glaus and never expected to handle the play. Complete brain overload.

I was not a Clayton fan when he was here and am perfectly happy to see him out in the desert, but the truth is the truth and he is usually a good glove man.

Just on Konerko, does anyone not feel he's going to be making Richie Sexson like money next season? FWIW here are Sexson's stats this season thus far;

.243/14HR/49RBI.

.243/.349/.495

74 K's, 34 BB's.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 08:12 AM)
Amigo, what do Clayton's offensive stats have to do with his playing shortstop?  Clayton has been and remains a pretty good defensive shortstop, his strength being steadiness.  He has a good arm, not great and good range, not great but rarely pulls a boner like the other night.  His D is what keeps him in the big leagues, so his mistakes were remarkable and Kornerko remarked on them.

Defense alone does not a player make. If that was the case, no one would ever say Crediocre is bad. Whem someone says that a mediocre hitting, but solid defensive Shortstop is the "best they've ever played with" , then yes I count the EVERYTHING that player does. And if you'll read my post again, I gave props to Choice being a good defensive SS.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 06:42 AM)
Just on Konerko, does anyone not feel he's going to be making Richie Sexson like money next season? FWIW here are Sexson's stats this season thus far;

.243/14HR/49RBI.

.243/.349/.495

74 K's, 34 BB's.

If he gets his average into the .270-.280 range, then I think he has a decent shot a making Richie Sexson like money.

Only on this board can a comment like that be construed as Konerko not liking Uribe. This is a total non story, it's amazing how people here read into the simplest remarks by a player.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
Only on this board can a comment like that be construed as Konerko not liking Uribe.  This is a total non story, it's amazing how people here read into the simplest remarks by a player.

Exactly. And because of who it is, everyone assumes the worst. Read the papers everyday and you will see this kind of stuff. Players praise other players everyday.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
Only on this board can a comment like that be construed as Konerko not liking Uribe.  This is a total non story, it's amazing how people here read into the simplest remarks by a player.

I agree this story has nothing to do with Uribe. But it does go a long way in showing the true retardedness of Paul Konerko.

I really hope the Sox don't do something stupid and give this guy $10-12 million over 5 years.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 08:23 AM)
Exactly.  And because of who it is, everyone assumes the worst.  Read the papers everyday and you will see this kind of stuff.  Players praise other players everyday.

Well.. after what happened with Royce and Frank I have to say it's a bit odd that Paul would speak of Royce at all. There was a time when Royce's head on a platter would have paid a pretty penny...

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 08:26 AM)
Well.. after what happened with Royce and Frank I have to say it's a bit odd that Paul would speak of Royce at all. There was a time when Royce's head on a platter would have paid a pretty penny...

Just a guess but I am sure a reporter asked him about the play in one form or another, and after the screw ups they had that game themselves, maybe he was feeling sorry for him?

I don't know, but beginning with the title of the thread, this is all one big assumption, if you know what I mean.