Keith Foulke is a wacky guy...

Jabroni

Latest News  Jun. 17, 2005 - 7:52 am et

Keith Foulke said yesterday that it's ''very possible that this might be my last year'' in Boston.

''Baseball's a business,'' Foulke said. ''I've been traded before, and I didn't expect it.'' Foulke also said he only does his weekly radio appearance because he gets a free truck (''If you give me a free truck, I'll talk to you more'') and said what he likes about closing are the two paydays each month.

Source:  Boston Globe

In Thursday's The Hartford Courant, Keith Foulke said, ''It's very possible that this might be my last year [in Boston]. Baseball's a business. I've been traded before, and I didn't expect it." Foulke said he doesn't like being in the newspaper or on television. Asked about his weekly radio segment on WEEI, he said, ''That's fine. That's more answering questions about different things. And I get a free truck. If you give me a free truck, I'll talk to you more." Asked if he likes to close as opposed to starting, Foulke said, ''I like to pitch. Honestly, what I like about closing, I love the first and 15th day [of the month]. That's payday." Foulke reiterated he will not talk about his health.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
Why would we want him?

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but he is horrendous this year. He has probaly worn out his welcome in Boston, and some GM would be willing to take a chance on him. I could defiantly see him being traded.

We made the mistake of trading him because he soured on our manager after a bad few months. Keith's a great closer he'll be perfectly fine, imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
We made the mistake of trading him because he soured on our manager after a bad few months.  Keith's a great closer he'll be perfectly fine, imo.

That manager is gone now so i could see him fitting in well among the rest of the players.

The same thing happened to Foulke with us that's happening to him now...he lost the bite and location on his changeup back in late 2000 or in 2001...that's why he ended up in the minors and that's why we traded him to Oakland.

Foulke is just a roller coaster. He has these absolutely amazing highs like he hit last year or like when he got our closer role in 2000, and then he just loses it for a year or so.

Boston just has to hope he finds whatever it is he lost before the end of the year. On the other hand, he'll probably come at a reduced price if anyone does want to trade for a closer. I don't want him back...if we need anything we need longer relief, but he's a good guy to take a chance on.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
Why would we want him?

I don't know if you guys have noticed, but he is horrendous this year. He has probaly worn out his welcome in Boston, and some GM would be willing to take a chance on him. I could defiantly see him being traded.

remember he had this kind of year in 2002? then after the break, he rolled of 20+ innings without an earned run, 10+ of no hit ball, and wasn't made closer, traded for Bill Koch, went on to save 75 games in 2 years and pitched the last out of the World Series? he's most likely not going anywhere, but if he is, I hope it's to the South Side.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
The same thing happened to Foulke with us that's happening to him now...he lost the bite and location on his changeup back in late 2000 or in 2001...that's why he ended up in the minors and that's why we traded him to Oakland.

Foulke is just a roller coaster.  He has these absolutely amazing highs like he hit last year or like when he got our closer role in 2000, and then he just loses it for a year or so.

Boston just has to hope he finds whatever it is he lost before the end of the year.  On the other hand, he'll probably come at a reduced price if anyone does want to trade for a closer.  I don't want him back...if we need anything we need longer relief, but he's a good guy to take a chance on.

he lost it for the first half of 2002. numbers that year:

Pre All-Star - 41 innings, 40 hits, 22 ER, 4.83 ERA, 31 Ks, 10 BBs, 5 HR

Post All-Star - 36.2 innings, 25 hits, 3 ER, 0.74 ERA, 27 Ks, 3 BBs, 2 HR

other than that first half of 2002 and this part of 2005, he's been a premier closer. and the final half of 2002, but that's because Jerry Manuel was too much of a bonehead to have the guy that was lights out again close games.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
he lost it for the first half of 2002.  numbers that year:

Pre All-Star - 41 innings, 40 hits, 22 ER, 4.83 ERA, 31 Ks, 10 BBs, 5 HR

Post All-Star - 36.2 innings, 25 hits, 3 ER, 0.74 ERA, 27 Ks, 3 BBs, 2 HR

other than that first half of 2002 and this part of 2005, he's been a premier closer.  and the final half of 2002, but that's because Jerry Manuel was too much of a bonehead to have the guy that was lights out again close games.

Good old Jerry Manuel, what would Sox baseball have been like without him? :wub: I can just see the possibliltes.