Jim Rome

TheHammer

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Wait wait wait.  Did Rome say that Buehrle was alluding to Maddux or just "someone" on the Cubs?  Because if they jumped to the conclusion that it was Maddux, that makes me wonder if they already knew that he does that.

Yeah, so far all media outlets just assume he's talking about Maddux. So I'm guessing they suspect the same thing.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 06:58 PM)
I look forward to the day that someone actually says they like a certain sports columnist or TV host.

Well, when they put a likeable one out there...

Seriously though, Rome is an idiot whose idea of a "take" as he so eloquently puts it, is nothing more than regurgitation of the consensus opinion of the media and/or fans. He has nothing to offer, save the abilities to be loud, obnoxious, and annoying to as many people as possible. As others have said here, he shamelessly sacrifices whatever shreds of intelligence and dignity he has on an almost constant basis to try to get people to tune in. His ESPN interview with Jim Everett is a shining example of this. Rather than conductin a mature, intelligible interview, Rome resorts to childish namecalling in a shameless ploy to try to upset the person that has granted him the interview and attempt to garner more ratings from it. Again, as others have said, he's a shameless, spineless, ratings grabber who is willing to tell the public anything they want to hear so that they will keep listening, and most of the time it results in regurgitation of the opinion of the majority of the national media.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
If Mark had said this about any other team besides the Flubs,  Red Sox,  Or Yankees,  we wouldn't hear a damn thing about it.

Exactly, and because he did, every cub-fan, coulmnist, to sport show host is literally crapping their pants because of what MB said.

I think Rome is pretty entertaining. I hate to be the one to remind you guys, but Rome has been on the Sox bandwagon all season. Our guys have been guests several times on his show and he consistently mentions us in a positive light.

I have no problem with what Mark said but I can understand where Rome and others are coming from. The steroid debacle led to a witchhunt, Mark may have just opened the door to another witchhunt.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
I think Rome is pretty entertaining.  I hate to be the one to remind you guys, but Rome has been on the Sox bandwagon all season.  Our guys have been guests several times on his show and he consistently mentions us in a positive light. 

I have no problem with what Mark said but I can understand where Rome and others are coming from.  The steroid debacle led to a witchhunt, Mark may have just opened the door to another witchhunt.

I still think he is annoying as hell.

I look forward to the day that someone actually says they like a certain sports columnist or TV host.

There are plenty of Chicago writers I like. I know the Trib better because I read it everyday, but from the Trib I like Rick Morrisey, Mike Downey, Sam Smith, Phil Rogers, Paul Sullivan, and Sox beat writer Gonzalez is growing on me. Out of the Sun Times, I pretty much like everyone but Kotex-Boy.

we only concentrate on the schmucks here. like Jim Rome, who's show consists of him shouting at a camera for 10 minutes then having an in-depth sports conversation with Roger Lodge. or Mariotti, who only focuses on the bad, even when there's really nothing there. the one I hate most is Skip Bayless. he's like Mariotti, except he doesn't even understand what it's like to play sports on a team. he says that when a basketball players misses a free throw, they shouldn't get any high-fives, just to be ignored. he's just plain ignorant.