The Player I want the White Sox to acquire.

JDsDirtySox

This is just me thinking out loud.

With all the talk about trades, and ways to improve the Sox, there is one move I want the Sox to make that I think can be the difference maker. Of course the Sox could try and trade for Roger Clemens, or Barry Zito, or Eric Chavez, etc... BUT I am talking about a trade that is more realistic.

The player I want the Sox to acuire is Mark Redman. Redman is a good left hander who gets the job done. He doesn't have dominating stuff, but has been solid the past 2 1/2 years. My only concern would be that Redman struggled for the Twins and Tigers (in the AL) early in his career, and is now looking good in the NL. I am willing to take the chance. I don't think Redman would come cheap, but at the same time I don't think he would cost the farm.

*This would also be a way to get the coveted Rob Mackowiak to the South Side.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=6285

he wasn't good for Oakland last year, which was a season he spent in the AL after 2003 with the Marlins, where he did well. he was so-so in 2002 with Detroit and has been pretty good this year with Pittsburgh. for some reason, that pitcher's spot has helped his numbers signficantly (although offenses tend to be better all-around in the AL, anyway), so nay.

You say they don't need another SP right now... but its only June, and I don't want to have to depend on Brandon McCarthy. Why wait until El Duque gets hurt?, or until the Trade Deadline when everyone in contention is going to be looking for pitching?

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 04:14 PM)
You say they don't need another SP right now... but its only June, and I don't want to have to depend on Brandon McCarthy. Why wait until El Duque gets hurt?, or until the Trade Deadline when everyone in contention is going to be looking for pitching?

If I'm the sox, and looking to build the roster for the playoffs and the stretch run, adding another SP who hasn't thrown in relief doesn't make that much sense. Esp as BMac can throw every 5th day for August and Sept. if someone went down

However, adding a bullpen pitcher who also can start like Sea's Ron Villone [19 starts in 2003 and 15 last year], does make more sense.

Here's a question to ponder, how many starting pitchers did the Red Sox have on their pitching staff when they won the World Series? I'd have to say it was more than 5, and the rest worked out of the pen. Wasn't Derek Lowe not even in the rotation until the playoffs?

We need to get another Spot Starter/Long reliever, then I'd feel much better.

CWSOX45

Redman is one of those guys who is traded every year that might help a good team make the playoffs, but won't help them win in the playoffs. Kind of like Jeff Suppan to Boston, etc. If we acquire someone, I hope its someone useful in the playoffs because Redman wouldn't start for us in the playoffs. We could use him as a lefty out of the pen. This brings up another point. Contreras has pen experience but is better than El Duque as a starter. My point being that "big game" Hernandez might be of little use in October

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 11:35 AM)
Here's a question to ponder, how many starting pitchers did the Red Sox have on their pitching staff when they won the World Series? I'd have to say it was more than 5, and the rest worked out of the pen. Wasn't Derek Lowe not even in the rotation until the playoffs?

We need to get another Spot Starter/Long reliever, then I'd feel much better.

CWSOX45

Other than maybe BK Kim, the Red Sox had 5 pitchers on their roster last year. And Lowe was a starter all season long (33 GS).

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
Redman is one of those guys who is traded every year that might help a good team make the playoffs, but won't help them win in the playoffs. Kind of like Jeff Suppan to Boston, etc. If we acquire someone, I hope its someone useful in the playoffs because Redman wouldn't start for us in the playoffs. We could use him as a lefty out of the pen. This brings up another point. Contreras has pen experience but is better than El Duque as a starter. My point being that "big game" Hernandez might be of little use in October

Redman was in the rotation for the Marlins Championship Season.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 10:14 AM)

That's a good point. El Duque is gonna some more starts this year. I've always like Redman too. I just think that the Sox have bigger needs right now than a SP who like someone said may help GET you to the playoffs but won't really put you over the top.

If we do get to the playoffs, we're going to end up with at least 1 guy in the bullpen who's been a starter all year.

I'm not sure I want a second guy who has to do that.

And again, I'm quite certain that Redman wouldn't be worth the price we'd have to pay to get him.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
I'll pass. He belongs in the NL, he has been horrible otherwise.

agreed. he's an average NL guy at best. he got lit up in the World Series by the Yankees. and now that i think about it, he looked awful against them a few days ago with Pittsburgh. he stinks.

and just exactly who is he going to replace in the rotation?

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 01:19 PM)
agreed. he's an average NL guy at best. he got lit up in the World Series by the Yankees. and now that i think about it, he looked awful against them a few days ago with Pittsburgh. he stinks.

and just exactly who is he going to replace in the rotation?

Redman gave up 2 earned runs in 6 2/3 against the Yankees... if that is awful, I'd take that any day of the week.

I say it's a good idea, but the wrong player. This team doesn need a long reliever. Currently, instead of stretching out Cotts, we've shortened him. If this team is getting pounded or looks like its about to get pounded in the 3rd inning, we really just have to leave our guys out to dry. We need someone at least as a stopgap so we don't burn out our pen or SP.

Looks like we need a SP now I dont think Hernandez will be healthy and would like B Mac to get more time in the minors..

The pitcher I would like to see the Sox to get and their has been some rumors about this player being traded because he is arbitration eligible next season..

Is Brandon Webb

You got it completely wrong. El Duque has proven to be a much better relief pitcher than Contreras. Take a look at their numbers for pitches 1-15 & 16-30. Contreras is bad. El Duque is better. Plus El Duque has post season experience in relief. Not much. But still he performs best under pressure.

I look for him to be big in our post season.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 05:46 PM)
Looks like we need a SP now I dont think Hernandez will be healthy and would like B Mac to get more time in the minors..

The pitcher I would like to see the Sox to get and their has been some rumors about this player being traded because he is arbitration eligible next season..

Is Brandon Webb

Do you have any article about this? I find it kind of hard to believe.