Realignment

Winnin Ugly

If I was in charge of Mlb I would make 4 divisons and have the DH play in every park and their will be no wild cards making the playoffs..

Division1 would be the Sox,Cubs,STL,Milw,Clev,Cinn,Det,KC

Division2 would be Balt,Bost,Yanks,Mets,Phillies,Wash, Pitt

Division3 would be Angels,Seattle,Oak,SD,LA, SF,Colo,AZ

Divison4 would be Toronto,TX,Hous,Minn,Atl,Fla,TB

What changes would you make..

Edited by Winnin Ugly

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
If I was in charge of Mlb I would make 4 divisons and have the DH play in every park and their will be no wild cards making the playoffs..

Division1 would be the Sox,Cubs,STL,Milw,Clev,Cinn,Det

And how would you determine who makes the playoffs? Would it be an NBA type system where the top maybe 2 two teams from each division make the playoffs. Are these divisions still divided in to 2 conferences/leagues or is it just four divisions where you only have 4 playoff teams.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)

Division1 would be the Sox,Cubs,STL,Milw,Clev,Cinn,Det

you forgot the Royals...

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
just the 4 divison winners would make the playoffs just like in the past.. It would make the season worth something

The owners and league would never go for it, if you cut the playoff teams in half you lose a s*** load of revenue.

anyway only 8 teams out of 30 makes the playoffs, or 26%. in the NFL it's 12 out of 32, 50%. NBA it's 16 of 30, 53%, same as NHL. so baseball's regular season is the most meaningful of the 4, so no changes are necessary.

Edited by AirScott

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
anyway only 8 teams out of 30 makes the playoffs, or 26%.  in the NFL it's 12 out of 30, 40%.  NBA it's 16 of 30, 53%, same as NHL.  so baseball's regular season is the most meaningful of the 4, so no changes are necessary.

There's 32 teams in the NFL.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
anyway only 8 teams out of 30 makes the playoffs, or 26%.  in the NFL it's 12 out of 32, 50%.  NBA it's 16 of 30, 53%, same as NHL.  so baseball's regular season is the most meaningful of the 4, so no changes are necessary.

And 12 out of 32 isn't 50%.

I would move Colorado to the AL West, Houston to the NL West to make 6 5 team divisions.

Each division would play a 3 game home and 3 away against each team its opposite division, ie Al Central V NL Central. A 2 game home and 2 away series against each team in one of the other interleague divisions (for the AL central, NL East one year, NL West then next). A 3 game home and 3 away against all non-division teams in the same league. And 2 3 game home and 3 game away series against the other 4 teams in it's division.

--This adds up to 158 games which permits the WC series to start earlier -something that should have been done when it started.

--All teams in the same division play the same teams the same number of times home and away.

--Every team in baseball will play at every park at least every other year.

--Keeps the natural rivalry series which makes big bucks for baseball.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)

Division1 would be the Sox,Cubs,STL,Milw,Clev,Cinn,Det,KC

This is why you'll never be in charge of mcdonalds

American League

East

New York Yankees

New York Mets

Boston

Baltimore

Toronto

Central

Chicago White Sox

Chicago Cubs

Cleveland

Detroit

Minnesota

West

Oakland

LA Angels

LA Dodgers

Texas

Houston

National League

East

Washington

Philadelphia

Florida

Tampa Bay

Pittsburgh

Central

St. Louis

Kansas City

Cincinatti

Milwaukee

Atlanta

West

San Diego

San Francisco

Seattle

Arizona

Colorado

That is how I would do it.. And the playoff format seems fine how it is

A few other things.. I would scrap interleague play.. With this alignment I have there is no reason for it anymore, plus its not even enjoyable anymore.. Everyone just wants to see the close cities clash and ive basically set that up to play into regualr scheduling.. I would also say goodbye to the DH, I think making the pitcher have to bat is how it should really be in all leagues.. It helps strategy play into the game more..

EDIT: I swapped Seattle and LA Dodgers to keep the rival cities theme going

Edited by Jimenez4MVP

QUOTE(Jimenez4MVP @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
American League

East

New York Yankees

New York Mets

Boston

Baltimore

Toronto

Central

Chicago White Sox

Chicago Cubs

Cleveland

Detroit

Minnesota

West

Oakland

LA Angels

LA Dodgers

Texas

Houston

National League

East

Washington

Philadelphia

Florida

Tampa Bay

Pittsburgh

Central

St. Louis

Kansas City

Cincinatti

Milwaukee

Atlanta

West

San Diego

San Francisco

Seattle

Arizona

Colorado

That is how I would do it.. And the playoff format seems fine how it is

A few other things.. I would scrap interleague play.. With this alignment I have there is no reason for it anymore, plus its not even enjoyable anymore.. Everyone just wants to see the close cities clash and ive basically set that up to play into regualr scheduling.. I would also say goodbye to the DH, I think making the pitcher have to bat is how it should really be in all leagues.. It helps strategy play into the game more..

EDIT: I swapped Seattle and LA Dodgers to keep the rival cities theme going

Rivalries wouldn't be rivalries anymore. Especially in the city. Plus you give each city less of a chance to win with having both teams of one city in the same division. Cubs-Sox would lose it's luster. There really would be no more Yankees - Red Sox rivalry.

Interleague play is meant for those rivalry games. You mean to tell me you rather see the Sox facing a new opponent like the Rockies for the same opponent in the Royals or Tigers?? Interleague play is no worse than regular play. You might get a lopsided game or you might get a real great game. Same goes as facing your own division. I myself would be sick of seeing the White Sox pound on the Royals 30 games a year.