Draft Signings

Guest JimH

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
Brooks - Rated as a 2nd rounder, was previously drafted by us, RHP.

Depends on who you ask.

The highest pick not signed is Yudelmis Hernandez, 1B, out of a Miami area HS. I was doing my FS writeup on him and it seems like he could be a draft and follow. He is a big time power bat, but missed his senior season due to a torn meniscus. He has a commitment to Broward CC so the Sox may want to see how he performs and sign him next year.

I split and merged all the draft signing talks into here.

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
If you look around in most of draft threads you'll find lots of good stuff, but here's some things off the top of my head;

Broadway - B-Mac clone, great curveball, good change

Brooks - Rated as a 2nd rounder, was previously drafted by us, RHP.

Getz - Michigan 2nd baseman, scrappy guy with good speed.

Rote - Good stuff but a little wild IIRC.

Cunnigham - Flat out raked in his league, good signing, he's an OF.

Cortes - Was committing to San Diego State, RHP.

Richard - Former Football QB, bullpen guy, lefty.

Broadway isn't a McCarthy clone, as his change really isn't as plus as his curve.

Brooks was not projected to be a 2nd rounder, probably more along the lines of a 5th round pick.

With Getz I keep reading Craig Counsell esque.

Rote is a power reliever who hasn't harnessed his mid 90s fastball and his power slider. A project pick.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 06:02 PM)
Depends on who you ask.

The highest pick not signed is Yudelmis Hernandez, 1B, out of a Miami area HS. I was doing my FS writeup on him and it seems like he could be a draft and follow. He is a big time power bat, but missed his senior season due to a torn meniscus. He has a commitment to Broward CC so the Sox may want to see how he performs and sign him next year.

I split and merged all the draft signing talks into here.

The Sox must like these Broward CC guys. Two of our picks, Dan Jordan and Christian Marrero, both played this past season for Broward.

Signing these guys could actually be a help in going after Danks. The fact that 14 of our first 15 have signed so quickly, leads me to believe that they were signed reasonably. We still have 2nd round money open at the very least, and if we signed some of these guys for less than market value so to speak, then we still could throw some money at Danks for the next few months.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
The Sox must like these Broward CC guys.  Two of our picks, Dan Jordan and Christian Marrero, both played this past season for Broward.

Yeah, well Miami is a hotbed. It's easier. They scout one guy and find others they like.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 05:34 AM)
Broadway isn't a McCarthy clone, as his change really isn't as plus as his curve.

Brooks was not projected to be a 2nd rounder, probably more along the lines of a 5th round pick.

With Getz I keep reading Craig Counsell esque.

Rote is a power reliever who hasn't harnessed his mid 90s fastball and his power slider. A project pick.

On Brooks I thought that was generally the case too, but John Sickels wrote up this of him, and there was an article stating the Sox brass had him rated as a 2nd rounder;

Brooks is a draft-eligible sophomore and may be a tough sign, but if he signs he's a fine prospect

Brooks wasn't in most of the rankings because most everyone thought he was going to demand big bucks. It appears he wanted to go to a 4 year school (got up way too early this AM and was on a plane so I forget which school exactly), but if he wasn't, it appears he would of been a 2nd round talent.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 05:16 PM)
Yeah, well Miami is a hotbed. It's easier. They scout one guy and find others they like.

The Sox scout Southern Florida and the Florida CC's as well as anyone in baseball. If they wait to sign Hernandez, they probably won't get him, IMO...

He's a huge projectible kid who could vault himself right into the top 3-5 rounds without blinking in his first JuCo year.

Chirino and Hernandez are great value picks where they took them. Higher round talen but due to extenuating circumstances, they weren't on other teams' radars...

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Signing these guys could actually be a help in going after Danks. The fact that 14 of our first 15 have signed so quickly, leads me to believe that they were signed reasonably. We still have 2nd round money open at the very least, and if we signed some of these guys for less than market value so to speak, then we still could throw some money at Danks for the next few months.

I think Danks was a back-up plan if they couldn't sign some combo of Brooks/Cortes/Cunningham...

I doubt they throw more than 1-1.5 million at him, and I would think it would take a minimum of 2.1 to get him to sign...

The Sox scout Southern Florida and the Florida CC's as well as anyone in baseball.  If they wait to sign Hernandez, they probably won't get him, IMO...

He's a huge projectible kid who could vault himself right into the top 3-5 rounds without blinking in his first JuCo year.

Chirino and Hernandez are great value picks where they took them.  Higher round talen but due to extenuating circumstances, they weren't on other teams' radars...

It will be interesting to see how it plays out re: Hernandez. It's a quandry. The kid missed his senior season with an injury so it's very possible he's not close to ready for professional baseball at any level (just a guess on my part). Letting him go to JC is a plus and a minus. If he blossoms, they might have trouble signing him although the "wait and see" program may have already been discussed with him. The plus side is, they still have control until 5/31/06 and can essentially try before they buy.

One thing is, the Sox seem to have a knack for signing most guys they really like.

Another factor to consider is, the Sox system is not particularly strong with promising 1B types, they can use at least 1-2.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
It will be interesting to see how it plays out re: Hernandez.  It's a quandry.  The kid missed his senior season with an injury so it's very possible he's not close to ready for professional baseball at any level (just a guess on my part).  Letting him go to JC is a plus and a minus.  If he blossoms, they might have trouble signing him although the "wait and see" program may have already been discussed with him.  The plus side is, they still have control until 5/31/06 and can essentially try before they buy.

One thing is, the Sox seem to have a knack for signing most guys they really like.

Another factor to consider is, the Sox system is not particularly strong with promising 1B types, they can use at least 1-2.

Well, it was just a torn meniscus from the reports we've heard. That is not a serious injury to a non-catcher, although it obviously requires inactivity and rehab that apparently cost him most or all of his season.

That being said, Rogo and Allen are the only true 1B prospects, and Allen is still extremely raw.

I don't know, I'd still try to sign Hernandez and get him to Arizona and get some AB's at Bristol, in the instructional leagues this fall... That would further his development a lot more than letting him go to Broward CC and playing himself back into the draft...

I don't think it would take much more than standard 7th-10th round money to sign him, but what do I know? If that's the case, it's really a low-risk high-reward scenario...