Which NBA Coach is Greater?

Which NBA coach is/was better  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which NBA coach is/was better

• Phil Jackson
    • Red Auerback

you can see that I said that I hate to hold those megastars against him, which is why I didn't. But, realistically this is a huge challenge coming up the next few eyars and his legacy remains intact either way but status as the greatest coach ever might at least temporarily depend on what he is able to do

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
you can see that I said that I hate to hold those megastars against him, which is why I didn't. But, realistically this is a huge challenge coming up the next few eyars and his legacy remains intact either way but status as the greatest coach ever might at least temporarily depend on what he is able to do

I agree it will be a challenge for phil. I just also want to point out Red always had great players too. red and phil, phil and red, what ever way you look at it.... are 1 and 2. Who ever is # 3 has a long way to go to catch those two.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
I'm not making asinine statements pretending I have a clue when I infact know nothing about the subject.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
This isn't even a question...

:unsure:

In all seriousness, I think it's no big deal. It's a legitimate question and maybe posting it will, in fact, illicit the more educated responses you seem to be hoping for.

I obviously "lived and died" Bulls basketball and watched a lot of Phil's coaching, so I'm going to be partial. People too young to have seen red can look at his coaching record and/or read up on what has been written about him to make some sort of educated response.

I mean, it's just an opinion. No need to feel as if red is being slighted or anything...

So us Chicago fans are biased because we said the Celtics were more talented and had an easier time winning their titles? :huh: If we were so Chicago biased, wouldn't we be saying that the Bulls were the greatest team ever and that our little sister could have coached Jordan and Pippen to 5 titles?

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
You weren't alive during Red's years, your a Bulls fan who lived and died with them at one point in your life.  I would rather listen to somebody who had a clue on the topic because frankly you don't.

Once again, why I don't post at Soxtalk as often as I'd like.

Everything you said to me goes for you as well. You're a Celtics fan so you're biased, you also weren't around during Red's years. All I'm saying is it's a good question and you're acting like it's not even close or worth discussing.

How can someone say ''this isn't even a question...''? Are you f***ing s***ting me? This has been discussed many, many times before on all sorts of message boards, been discussed on t.v, radio, etc... Neither ever blows the other one out on polls or anything of that sort. Would it really be that hard to throw your homerism on to the side and not say ''The fact that this is even being discussed is utterly insane. I don't feel like adding anything because it will just enfuriate me more than I already am.''

The one person that has no clue about this subject is apparently you and three other boston fans in the world. I have seen numerous boston celtics fans make an arguement for red auerbach and phil jackson... none of them have ever thought it wasn't worthy of discussion.

I like how you acting like soxtalk drove you away because of homerism when you are full of it yourself.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 09:56 PM)
Everything you said to me goes for you as well.  You're a Celtics fan so you're biased, you also weren't around during Red's years.  All I'm saying is it's a good question and you're acting like it's not even close or worth discussing.

There is no question in my mind who the superior coach is, so in my opinion I don't think its worth discussing, which is why I said I didn't want to discuss it. Thats all.

:)

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 06:53 PM)
There is no question in my mind who the superior coach is, so in my opinion I don't think its worth discussing, which is why I said I didn't want to discuss it.  Thats all.

:)

Why even comment in the thread if you know what you said was gonna piss people off and make them curious of why you this auerbach is god?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:41 PM)
How can someone say ''this isn't even a question...''? Are you f***ing s***ting me? This has been discussed many, many times before on all sorts of message boards, been discussed on t.v, radio, etc... Neither ever blows the other one out on polls or anything of that sort. Would it really be that hard to throw your homerism on to the side and not say ''The fact that this is even being discussed is utterly insane. I don't feel like adding anything because it will just enfuriate me more than I already am.''

The one person that has no clue about this subject is apparently you and three other boston fans in the world. I have seen numerous boston celtics fans make an arguement for red auerbach and phil jackson... none of them have ever thought it wasn't worthy of discussion.

I like how you acting like soxtalk drove you away because of homerism when you are full of it yourself.

I don't care about polls. This thread shows why polls are pointless. You have thirteen year old kids voting for Phil Jackson, and why wouldn't they? And yes, I said I didn't want to discuss it and today I feel the same way.

I wasn't alive during Red's years, your right, and no I don't study the subject constantly, but I think I have a pretty good background, and with that background came to a conclusion. I guess because you don't agree with the conclusion i've come to I'm a homer, typical.

I like soxtalk, there are alot of amazing posters here, sometimes your included in that list, but there's a reason why SoSH stopped accepting applications, but thats nor here nor there.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 07:04 PM)
I don't care about polls.  This thread shows why polls are pointless.  You have thirteen year old kids voting for Phil Jackson, and why wouldn't they?  And yes, I said I didn't want to discuss it and today I feel the same way.

So why don't you debate?

I wasn't alive during Red's years, your right, and no I don't study the subject constantly, but I think I have a pretty good background, and with that background came to a conclusion. 

Sound like a contradiction to me. What do you mean you have a good background?

I don't care about polls.  This thread shows why polls are pointless.  You have thirteen year old kids voting for Phil Jackson, and why wouldn't they?  And yes, I said I didn't want to discuss it and today I feel the same way.

I wasn't alive during Red's years, your right, and no I don't study the subject constantly, but I think I have a pretty good background, and with that background came to a conclusion.  I guess because you don't agree with the conclusion i've come to I'm a homer, typical.

I like soxtalk, there are alot of amazing posters here, sometimes your included in that list, but there's a reason why SoSH stopped accepting applications, but thats nor here nor there.

I have never said that i don't agree with you have i?

You are a homer until you give a reason why auerbach is far and away the best coach ever. Not giving a reason is just ignorant in my opinion. If you didn't plan on giving a reason why post something in the first place that will just tick others off?

13 year old kids like who? The two 14-15 year olds or younger have even admitted to not knowing anything about red. Everyone else that has commented on this thread has seen plenty of phil jackson and some have probally even read up on auerbach in the past.

Your 13 year old excuse is awfully lame if you ask me. The majority of the posters on real gm and bbb are over the age of 16-17 and many of them are in their twenties, thirties, fourties. One poster is even there sixties posting about basketball. Don't you think 16 years old and up can do the required research to make their case?

Winning Championships causes even ordinary players to seem larger than life. Name someone in any sport that wins that many championships without the best talent around. Would someone pick a coach as greatest that took teams that should have finished 20 games under .500 and made them .500 teams?

Winning, even with the best talent, takes good coaching. Just ask Jerry Manuel.