"Crede Rule" called again

Hideaway Lights

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 08:23 PM)
The Umps love the Red Sox.  Did you see Ortiz swing and then get it called a ball.

Goddamn.

I did see that. F'n ridiculous.

From the ESPN recap:

Game notes

Doumit, a switch-hitter, batted righty against Wakefield. He leaned his elbow into a 1-1 pitch in the first inning and was hit, but home plate umpire Jerry Crawford ruled that he tried to get hit, so the pitch was ruled a strike. ... Red Sox right-hander Curt Schilling will throw a simulated game on Monday instead of batting practice. ... The Red Sox signed 15 draft picks, none of them from the first six rounds, and three undrafted players.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 18, 2005 -> 08:20 PM)
A Pirate leaned into a Wakefield pitch and an ump had him stay put

yeah, it was a knuckleball lol

I'm sure it wasn't that painful even if it was a fastball. Wakefields fast ball is like a changeup anyways.

Hell, the one today was even worse than Crede's call...the guy froze, then moved his elbow 6 inches forwards. He even admitted that he was trying that after the game.

Like I said at the time...the call on Crede was probably the right call, but it was also a judgement call. In a pure vacuum, that's probably the right call on Crede. But that wasn't the only awful call that series. There was a call at the plate. There was the call at first base. There was Crede getting kicked out for slamming the bat down. The strike zones were horrid. The umps did every single thing they could to screw us over that series.

If they had given us a fair series otherwise, then I have nothing to complain about on that call. But with the pattern of behavior by the umps that series...it's just another drop in the bucket.

It is not the same thing. It was called a strike because the pitch was in the strike zone when he was hit. It was NOT thrown in the batter's box.

The pitch that hit Crede was in the batter's box. You can argue Crede didn't do enough to move out of the way of the pitch but it was clearly out of the zone & in the path of the batter. The presence of the DH in the AL means that it accepts the fact that hitters could be weak in mobility to where they can't play the field. The benefit of the doubt then should go to the hitter when a player is hit by a pitch IN THE BATTER's BOX.

As for Crede himself, he's always been weakest moving side-to-side. He's defensive prowress can be seen in moving up & down & front & back. I think he may be the best 3B in MLB in those areas. So even if you consider his personal case it's not surprising he would be slow to avoid the pitch. He should have been award a HBP.