White Sox vs Dodgers 6/19/05 Game Thread

YASNY

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
'Cause he's slumping now?  It's pretty easy to kick a guy when he's down, and Harris is clearly "down" at the plate right now.  I'm pretty confident that if given the AB's he's been getting over the course of the season, he'll get that OBP back up to league average.

Here's my biggest problem with Willie: He doesn't hit the ball hard enough consistently. He grounds out weakly to the right side of the infield way too much. Yes, he has good speed, but how often do you see Willie actually beat out an infield chopper? Very rarely it seems.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:11 AM)
60-odd abs.  If a starter had a .220 avg after only a few weeks, noone would make anything of it, especially if it was just a slump for a week or so that pulled the avg down.

I believe Harris has settled himself into a nice backup player who can be a pretty nice fill-in if a guy goes down. Certainly, he's not a great starter, but there are worse options. When given consistent AB's last year, I think he showed what he could do -- get on-base at a decent clip, and play really, really good defense.

Like I said, a lot worse options.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:09 AM)
My fault. Just hoping they would start calling the game soon. Don't wanna listen to Morgan.

No, I can understand. Doesn't matter how worthy the cause, I get tired of not hearing the call (or the half ass call while they chat up whatever -- sometimes just some promotion for rich guys). And I think mute is better than Morgan.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:16 AM)
And Neal Cotts' career ERA is 5.09.  What's your point?

He's got consistent AB's in just one year, and he played pretty well in that time.

Willie Harris had plenty of time last year to showcase his skills, and he performed in a manner that the Sox decided to go after another player to start at 2nd base. That tells me all I need to know about Harris.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:12 AM)
FYI, Willie's career AVG is .239. :lol:

Oh. Well, his stats were good last year, and his minor league numbers....

Hasn't this debate happened often enough? But .226 this year -- which is what you cited -- is not very impressive.