Crede vs. Ventura

Hideaway Lights

Seasonal career averages for Crede and Ventura, respectively (averages per 162 games played). FYI, Through his first 5 seasons, Ventura had about a .267 average (his career average).

Interestingly, really the only difference is about 50 walks a season and 13 points of batting average (the walks translate to Ventura's higher OBP and OPS). Same number of homers per 162, and nearly identical doubles, strikeouts, hits and runs.

Crede

G      AB    R      H    2B   3B   HR   RBI   BB  SO   SB  CS   AVG    OBP   SLG    OPS
162   555   72    141    29    1   23    80   34  90   1    2  .254   .304  .432   .736

Ventura

G      AB    R      H    2B   3B   HR   RBI   BB  SO   SB  CS   AVG    OBP   SLG    OPS
162   550   78    147    26    1   23    92   84  92   2    3  .267   .362  .444   .806

I think it's interesting because I feel a lot of Sox fans really laud Ventura while bashing Crede, whereas their career numbers aren't all that different.

Edited by Hideaway Lights

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
162   555   72    141  29   1    23    80     34   90   1    2      .254   .304   .432   .736

Ok? :huh:

Only 50 walks different a season? Your acting like that is nothing much. That is so much more than crede it is not even funny. Ventura also played gold glove defense unlike crede contrary to what some believe. There is really no comparison here in my opinion.

Edited by qwerty

The most beautiful thing I saw all weekend, besides AJ's homer, was Crede going to right field twice last night.

I think he is coming around offensively right now and should finish around the .265 mark average wise. For perhaps our 2nd worst offensive player and someone who we count on more for D than we do offense, this is quite alright with me.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 01:53 PM)
well it didn't help him score too many more runs per season, did it?

I think that is what he is getting at. Anyway, if you get on base 50 times more than someone else you have a much better chance of scoring, therefore helping your team out. How about crede gets his ops+ over a hundred in a full season for once? I doubt that's gonna happen. Ventura had an ops+ over 100 ( league average) 12 times... crede has done it once in a third of a season.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 04:04 PM)
41 home runs and 120 RBI's in a season will do that.

Horray for one dimensional players.

What have you done for me lately? Oh yeah, hit .235 w/ RISP and .171 w/ RISp and 2 outs

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
WH and I were talking about this the other day.

Crede = Konerko

However, Konerko definitely gets a huge pass on this board.

They couldn't be much different if you ask me.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 01:49 PM)
The most beautiful thing I saw all weekend, besides AJ's homer, was Crede going to right field twice last night.

Those were two of the most unintentional opposite field hits I've ever seen. The pitch just seemed the hit the bat in the right place and shot into right field, while Crede was still trying to pull.