Report: Brandon McCarthy to Start on Monday

Chisoxfn

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's always a chance that they're just moving BMac's start back entirely as a precaution...they'll see how El Duque feels tomorrow, and if he's not ready to go, they DL Him, pitch Garland, and tell BMac to get on a plane.

Just because he's not pitching tonight doesn't mean for sure he's coming up. They might be just hedging their bets to make sure they don't get caught with Duque unable to go tomorrow and McCarthy on 1 day rest.

I think it probably wouldn't hurt to give Garland the Monday start no matter what, so that he breaks up the 2 Cubans and gives El Duque the extra day of rest even if he is ready to go.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
IMO, they need to rest Orlando as long as needed. I don't think Brandon is ready to steal anyones job, but I think he can at least keep us in games. El Duque will play an important role for us down the stretch, we need him well rested.

Agreed, I want Duque in the best form he can be at the end of the season and possibly the playoffs. I think I'd have the most faith in him in the playoffs, with his track record there.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 08:51 PM)
Agreed, I want Duque in the best form he can be at the end of the season and possibly the playoffs.  I think I'd have the most faith in him in the playoffs, with his track record there.

Yep. As much as people have been down on Hernandez, I think he'll pitch much better once he gets in a little groove. I can't believe that he's suddenly lost "it", after pitching as an above average pitcher over his career. We need to keep that arm healthy first and foremost, so if it means missing one start against KC in June, then that's perfectly OK.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 02:01 PM)
plus having bmac pitch against the royals should help his confidence.

he's used to pitching against minor leaguers

:P

I think the Royals are like 14-6 or something close to that since swapping managers. I don't like them that much as a team either, but don't underestimate them.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
Agreed, I want Duque in the best form he can be at the end of the season and possibly the playoffs.  I think I'd have the most faith in him in the playoffs, with his track record there.

That's why we got him. He was a stud with NYY in the post-season.

PS Let's quit trying to figure out ways to get rid of BMac. Every trade "rumor" or wish I see on this site seems to include him. For some reason, I don't think he's going to be another Ruffin/Ruffcorn type.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 04:01 PM)
plus having bmac pitch against the royals should help his confidence.

he's used to pitching against minor leaguers

:P

Nothing could boost a young pitchers confidence more than starting in U.S. Cellular field. O/U on how many home runs he allows?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
Nothing could boost a young pitchers confidence more than starting in U.S. Cellular field.  O/U on how many home runs he allows?

KC is 24th in home runs hit.

Facing KC is more of a confidence boost than pitching in the Cell is a downer. Does that make sense?

Can we DL Orlando until September 1st, and then have him strong down the stretch and in the playoffs where he is Mr. Clutch? I just hope the Sox keep airing on the side of caution with El Duque and make sure that he's healthy in September and October...

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
KC is 24th in home runs hit.

Facing KC is more of a confidence boost than pitching in the Cell is a downer.  Does that make sense?

Think that ranking may have anything to do with Kauffman stadium having the third lowest park factor when it comes to home runs?

You obviously go to a lot of games, you should know by now it doesn't really matter who we're playing. The ball is going to fly.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
Think that ranking may have anything to do with Kauffman stadium having the third lowest park factor when it comes to home runs?

You obviously go to a lot of games, you should know by now it doesn't really matter who we're playing.  The ball is going to fly.

Let's just say no matter where we are playing this game will be easier on BMac than facing Texas anywhere. I doubt he will have much of a problem with KC but that's JMO.

Flyball pitcher Garcia held KC homerless in the Cell.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 05:35 PM)
I'm not really sure how it works when calling up a guy multiple times.  Does he lose options when this happens?  And are we just going to put Duque on the DL once a month?  I have no problem with this, just looks like that might be happening.

No to the first question and most likely to the second.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 05:48 PM)
No to the first question and most likely to the second.

Thanks. I think it's about time for McCarthy to step it up against a team like the Royals. They've been better recently, but I'm not sure they've been playing any good teams, just like the Indians.