Buehrle's Fielding

maggsmaggs

We had some great Buehrle talk the other night after the game.

The real focus was whether or not Mark was a true ace.

I argued from the point that he was and asked everyone around to name 15 pitchers they'd rather have than Buehrle. There may have been 10 or so, but not very many more. Perhaps there aren't as many true aces around the game these days, but just from a durability and his consecutive streak of starts with 6 innings pitched, I think he qualifies as ace material.

Buehrle, to me, is perhaps the most underrated starter in all of baseball.

How well of a reputation does he have as a good fielder? Most people talk about the number of innings he pitches and his quickness. The Gold Glove is moslty based on reputation. I know Maddux is good but I'm sure there are some other picthers that had better fielding than he did in years he won it.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)

I argued from the point that he was and asked everyone around to name 15 pitchers they'd rather have than Buehrle.  There may have been 10 or so, but not very many more.  Perhaps there aren't as many true aces around the game these days, but just from a durability and his consecutive streak of starts with 6 innings pitched, I think he qualifies as ace material. 

He always will be an underrated pitcher just because he doesn't strike out a ton of guys. Also there is no doubt in my mind anymore Mark is a true ace, period.

Does anyone else think that Mark is primed for a monster second-half of this year?

I think this might be the time when he pulls it all together. He's got everything working. He's got catchers he likes. He's got a good defense behind him. And the offense has finally gotten out of bed.

I can see him getting some hardware this year for damn sure.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 02:34 PM)

I argued from the point that he was and asked everyone around to name 15 pitchers they'd rather have than Buehrle.  There may have been 10 or so, but not very many more.  Perhaps there aren't as many true aces around the game these days, but just from a durability and his consecutive streak of starts with 6 innings pitched, I think he qualifies as ace material. 

MB = ACE

In fact, Buehrle's latest effort raises his victory total to 75 since 2001, tied with Boston's Curt Schilling for third best in all of baseball during that span. St. Louis' Mark Mulder leads all hurlers with 81 wins, followed by Colon (77). Roger Clemens and Randy Johnson stand one victory behind Buehrle."

Nuff Said

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
Hopefully, Kenny Rogers helped MB's cause with this week's outbursts.

Good call...Kenny Rogers has a good number of gold gloves. I can't imagine the MLB will be huge on issuing him any sort of awards after his little outburst. Advantage Mark.

In addition...Jon Garland is an extremely solid fielder himself. But Mark is more highly regarded as such.

I just conducted a bit of research on Quality Start percentages. Here are your Top 10 in the majors:

1. Roger Clemens 87% (14/16)

2. Chris Carpenter 87% (14/16)

3. AJ Burnett 86% (13/15)

4. Roy Oswalt 82% (14/17)

5. Livan Hernandez 82% (14/17)

6. Mark Buehrle 81% (13/16)

7. Dontrelle Willis 81% (13/16)

8. Mark Redman 81% (13/16)

9. Andy Pettite 80% (12/15)

10. Kenny Rogers 80% (12/15)

10. Matt Clement 80% (12/15)

Mark Buehrle is numero uno in the AL. Roy Halladay has a 76% Quality Start percentage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...Chris Carpenter is a motherf***ing madman, the best-kept secret in all of baseball. People know that he's good, but not this good.

You're not basing your assesment on Carpenter because of his quality start percentage, are you? He's a good pitcher for reasons other than that.

I don't like to rank pitchers based on QS for the simple fact that the difference between one pitcher's QS and another pitcher's QS could be night and day. Same goes for wins to a certain extent.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
You're not basing your assesment on Carpenter because of his quality start percentage, are you?  He's a good pitcher for reasons other than that.

I don't like to rank pitchers based on QS for the simple fact that the difference between one pitcher's QS and another pitcher's QS could be night and day.  Same goes for wins to a certain extent.

Of course. I started a Top 20 WHIP thread back in early May & I update it every two weeks (Around The Horn Forum). Carpenter shot up to #11 overall recently off of three straight starts (26 IP) in which he allowed only 1 ER, 9 hits, and a couple of walks.

I look at everything, but I always start with WHIP, which is the most definitive stat when analyzing pitchers, IMO. So, while Pedro doesn't make the Top 10 in QS, he is easily the best in WHIP (0.80).

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)

Excellent post per usual Bozley.

Another name to consider when discussing underrated starters: Livan Hernandez. If we were going to hand out awards, I think he'd get the nod.

If Buehrle wins 18+ this season, the gold glove is as good as his. His pitching W's and L's are going to have a big say in the matter.