6/19 Games

BlackBetsy

Winston-Salem doubles up Wilmington 6-3. Good game for Schnurstein, 2-3 with a dinger. Valido with 2 more hits, he's up to .320

Story was Haigwood, though. 6 IP, only 2 hits, 0 ER, 1 walk and 11 Ks!

Birmingham down 4-0 in the 6th, only one hit for the Barons. Southern League Scoreboard

Knights in a slugfest - they are down 8-6 in the 7th. HR for Toca.

Kannapolis yet to play.

Saw Honel pitch today. He was not impressive at all. He did hit 88 mph on the stadium radar (which is typically 2-3 mph off), but he was very inconsistent with his velocity. His fastball floated between 86-91 (assuming radar adjustment).

Even when hit the high side on the radar, it didn't seem very crisp. He was very lucky to only give up what he did. He escaped the 1st allowing only one where it could have been much worse. Granted he is still basically recovering from a lost year, but he certainly was not impressive. He has a long way to go if he wants to think about getting MLB hitters out in the future.

On a side note, his curveball had good bite. It is a big, sharp breaker, which gives him a small margin for error to throw it for strikes. Not sure MLB hitters would not just lay off of it until he hangs it. When he hits its spot, it has nice bite and is a nice pitch though.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:42 PM)
Saw Honel pitch today. He was not impressive at all. He did hit 88 mph on the stadium radar (which is typically 2-3 mph off), but he was very inconsistent with his velocity.  His fastball floated between 86-91 (assuming radar adjustment).

Even when hit the high side on the radar, it didn't seem very crisp. He was very lucky to only give up what he did. He escaped the 1st allowing only one where it could have been much worse. Granted he is still basically recovering from a lost year, but he certainly was not impressive. He has a long way to go if he wants to think about getting MLB hitters out in the future.

On a side note, his curveball had good bite. It is a big, sharp breaker, which gives him a small margin for error to throw it for strikes. Not sure MLB hitters would not just lay off of it until he hangs it. When he hits its spot, it has nice bite and is a nice pitch though.

Was it a straight curve, or was it his knuckle curve?

Mobile 5 Barons 2

W- Overdyz L- Honel

As Rex said earlier Honel wasn't impressive behind a lot of hitters FB around 88 all game long. Pollok was so-so hit a batter with the bases loaded. Meaux and Bull were good out of the pen. Jerry Owens had a 2 hit game hitting .310 on the season. Gonzo had a hit drew a pair of walks. Second half begins in Chattanooga Tuesday with most likely a differnet roster.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
I'm assuming knucklecurve.  I believe that is the only curve he throws??

Right on Rex

Did you see that bat fly into the stands about 2 rows from where I normally sit today I was behind the plate.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 08:08 PM)
I'm assuming knucklecurve.  I believe that is the only curve he throws??

Ya. His knuckle curve is a true 12/6 pitch with a lot of downward action. Personally I'm just glad the velocity is up. I am hoping his command will be the next thing to show and he should start gaining confidence.

I am starting to think he's at least on the path back, although he's got a long way to go and is still a non prospect in my book.

Hey Bham...I was looking at Lamura's stats and they are filthy. I guess this question is for both of you, but what do you guys think of him. I've seen him pitch but he never looked like the guy that could put up these numbers (always had the arm though). Always seemed to struggle with his command.

Has that been the big difference this year and you guys think he's got a shot? Is his curve/slider looking like a plus pitch and has he gotten more consistent with it?

B.J.'s biggest problem is trusting his stuff he thinks he has to throw his Fastball even harder put more bite on his curve when he does not need to. When he goes and "just pitches" he can strike out the best hitters in the league. Great stuff if he just starts to trust it.

Hope that helps

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
B.J.'s biggest problem is trusting his stuff he thinks he has to throw his Fastball even harder put more bite on his curve when he does not need to.  When he goes and "just pitches" he can strike out the best hitters in the league.  Great stuff if he just starts to trust it.

Hope that helps

Thanks, I always enjoy reading your little tidbits. Its just great stuff, I truly appreciate it :)

My thought is that BJ is marginal at best.....

Along with a guy like Matt Smith, Matt Guerrier, Gary Majewski and even Baj, performing well at the right time and luck is what will be the difference between a Major and Minor League career.

Tom, I looked for you today but didn't see you in Section E. I was sitting behind home plate talking with Matt Guerrier's parents for the first 5-6 innings. I bailed after that. It took 2 1/2 hours to get to the 6th inning. I was bored to tears at that point. LOL

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 05:07 AM)

Along with a guy like Matt Smith, Matt Guerrier, Gary Majewski and even Baj, performing well at the right time and luck is what will be the difference between a Major and Minor League career.

Tom, I looked for you today but didn't see you in Section E.  I was sitting behind home plate talking with Matt Guerrier's parents for the first 5-6 innings.  I bailed after that.  It took 2 1/2 hours to get to the 6th inning.  I was bored to tears at that point.  LOL

Come on you wuss, this is baseball, never get bored at a baseball game :P

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 05:07 AM)

Speaking of Majewski, has anyone else noticed that he's having a great year for the Nationals? He's been there 2nd best reliever behind Cordero. He's got a 2.53 ERA in 32 IP. The only thing he could really improve upon is his hair. Yikes.

ph_400008.jpg

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:35 PM)
Speaking of Majewski, has anyone else noticed that he's having a great year for the Nationals?  He's been there 2nd best reliever behind Cordero.  He's got a 2.53 ERA in 32 IP.  The only thing he could really improve upon is his hair.  Yikes.

ph_400008.jpg

Ayala?

But regardless Majewski has been awesome.

QUOTE(MnSoxFan @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
Come on you wuss, this is baseball, never get bored at a baseball game  :P

You would have yesterday....... I love Minor League ball, but they can make a baseball game turn into a 3 1/2 hour borefest sometimes.