Who wins the AL East?

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the AL East?

• Baltimore
    • Boston
    • New York

I'm taking New York. I really don't think Baltimore's starting pitching is going to be good enough to keep them in the lead. As for Boston, their pen has struggled and their starting staff is pretty iffy unless Schilling comes back 100%. Even then I don't love it. The Yankees still have a pretty good offense, Rivera and Gordon give them a solid 1-2 punch in the back end of the pen, and between Randy, Mussina, and Pavano, I think they'll get enough pitching to win the division, especially if they make a trade (I know, no prospects, but they can eat more money than most).

Why is anyone still picking the Yankees? So what if they've got a $200 million payroll, all that means is they have a great deal of bloated contracts that they gave to players who aren't earning them. Yes, they're on a 6 game win streak, and yes they're 4 games over .500, but 4 games over isn't what you'd expect from a $200 million team, and who have they beaten in those 6 games, and where did they beat them? It's not like they're sweeping the Cardinals and White Sox, they swept the Flubs and the Pirates at home. This recent win streak shows that they can beat bad teams, or even marginal teams, but when they come up against the good teams, they're obviously faltering, as evidenced by their record.

Personally, I think Baltimore will win it. While I'm not sold on their starters, I think they have a good bullpen, and their lineup is one of the best in baseball. They have the best shot at the East IMO.

I'm beginning to worry that Baltimore is looking a lot like the White Sox in 2000...their pitching staff overachieved early in the year while their hitters were killing the ball, but now it seems to me at least that their pitching staff is starting to get banged up, and I don't know if they'll be able to deal with that. You just can't outscore everyone, not in that division. The Yankees and BoSox will see to that.

The Red Sox have had struggles with their pitching, but it doesn't strike me that they've seen anything worse this year than last. Schilling will be back at some point. David Wells is not as bad as he has been - he's been almost in his 2001 White Sox form. Miller will continue to improve as he gets back into the game. Manny Ramirez has also been somewhat down this year, and that won't last. And Foulke will turn it around at some point this year.

I still pick the BoSox.

Lest we forget Baltimore can still make a move for a SP at the deadline, and there will surely be atleast solid SPs on the market.

I like Baltimore's chances. Julio-Ryan isn't lights out, but it is very close, and the rotation is either showing an excellent amount of depth, or it is showing that it can collectively bear down and pitch well while the rest of the staff heals up.