Frank as a PH

Princess Dye

i'm not saying he should permanently be coming off the bench

but i'll be damned if that wasnt awesome to get that guaranteed walk to lead off the 8th ... when in need of runs. very comfortable feeling.

and always glad to see Uribe (and his horrid swings) grab some bench late in the close games

anyone else think Frank off the bench might be our best option? you get Carl's consistency at DH... and with Frank as PH, you get that guaranteed threat at the plate for the later innings of close games. tonite was just so damn easy that way: scare the s*** out of that shaky young setup man with a HOFer.

obviously frank would not like this to become the norm, but i'm interested in what others here prefer.

Edited by Princess Dye

Without getting into it all over again, you have to wonder if Carl Everett's trade value would be diminished with the recent bad press. Generally this stuff doesn't matter as teams love anyone who can hit but you wonder with last week and his past troubles if he's thought of as too flaky for a pennant team to want.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
Frank should start at least 75 % of the games

I think it'd be cool if Frank Dye and Carl can rotate around the RF/DH slots with one getting a day off one day while the other 2 play. That way we get the maximum amount of playing time for all 3 players.

Having 3 hot bats in the lineup vying for 2 slots? What a nice problem to have.

This was probably discussed in the game thread, but am I the only one that thought it was strange to have Frank pinch hit leading off an inning?

It certainly worked, but to me Frank should be up there to drive in runs, not set the table. Having him pinch hit for Willie who was due up third that inning. I know Frank walks a lot, but if you use him as they did tonight, you have to burn two players. That could eventually haunt them if they tie the game instead of winning it.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
This was probably discussed in the game thread, but am I the only one that thought it was strange to have Frank pinch hit leading off an inning?

It certainly worked, but to me Frank should be up there to drive in runs, not set the table.  Having him pinch hit for Willie who was due up third that inning.  I know Frank walks a lot, but if you use him as they did tonight, you have to burn two players.  That could eventually haunt them if they tie the game instead of winning it.

Ozzie took a chance that they'd pitch around him and they did, basically giving us a free baserunner. That was a brilliant move.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)

but Uribe is pretty much the only regular starter you would want to PH for anyway... him or Crede.

like i said before, i'm all for getting Uribe the hell out of pressure situations. he has absolutely no strategy at the plate. ever.

good move by oz.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 04:08 AM)
Ozzie took a chance that they'd pitch around him and they did, basically giving us a free baserunner.  That was a brilliant move.

Today it was......... but if Frank grounds out to SS and then Pods gets on and steals 2B, then you have Willie up there trying to drive him home rather than Frank. I'm not saying it was a bad move, because it worked like a charm, but I don't think that would be smart to do frequently.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
I think it'd be cool if Frank Dye and Carl can rotate around the RF/DH slots with one getting a day off one day while the other 2 play.  That way we get the maximum amount of playing time for all 3 players. 

Having 3 hot bats in the lineup vying for 2 slots?  What a nice problem to have.

I like this idea best!

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:10 PM)
Today it was.........  but if Frank grounds out to SS and then Pods gets on and steals 2B, then you have Willie up there trying to drive him home rather than Frank.  I'm not saying it was a bad move, because it worked like a charm, but I don't think that would be smart to do frequently.

in my book, frank grounding out to ss still would look better than Uribe's flailing for 3 pitches.

we can say "if" to any situation, but if you compare the on-base percentages of Frank and Uribe.... then we can start talking about who's the better tablesetter.

part of the move also was acknowledging that the meat of the lineup was coming up for the rest of the 8th and potential 9th innings anyway. again, your way...Frank just wouldve stayed on the pine for the whole game.

edit: good point about Harris needing to put up the RBI... but you always have Iguchi too.

Edited by Princess Dye

Frank needs to start if he is healthy.

The reality is, Frank Thomas at his best is so much better offensively than any other player on our team, so we need to see what he can do. Everett has played a lot of games and if you look at his history, he has never been a guy to go 150+ games.

Prior to the season I did not think Everett could do more than Gload. But, the White Sox need to realize that they have a very good chance at making the playoffs this year. Right now if they go .500 I believe they win 93 games, the winner of the Central has not won over 93 games in the past 2 seasons.

Carl is only $4mil, they should keep him try to get him as many AB as possible, with Frank as the full time DH.

Nothing against Carl, he has done great this year, but Frank is Frank.

SB

Just do it like it was this series. Frank DH's 2 out of 3 while Everett will spell one of the OF's for one game in each series. Play for pods for one game in one series, than play for Dye in another and in another series for Rowand (With Pods in cf). That way your getting Pods/Rowand/Dye starts in pretty much 8 of 9 games, while Everett and Thomas start 2/3 games.

Obviously its not quite that easy, but I think its at least the formation to a plan and you mix in who you go with based on certain matchups. As a whole I think it keeps everyone fresh as well as happy (well everyone but Timo).

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 10:51 PM)
I think it'd be cool if Frank Dye and Carl can rotate around the RF/DH slots with one getting a day off one day while the other 2 play.  That way we get the maximum amount of playing time for all 3 players. 

Having 3 hot bats in the lineup vying for 2 slots?  What a nice problem to have.

I agree. We don't need to trade anyone. If these guys want to win they will go with it. We need a deep team to make a deep run. Its all about that ring.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
Timo has to be happy to be making $1mil a year.

I mean come on Timo makes $1mil to sit around and watch baseball games.

Id sit on the bench for less than minimum wage.

Sb

he's got the best job no doubt. 1 mil to watch white sox baseball :bang

In terms of Frank...I certainly don't mind seeing him out of the lineup every 3rd day or so.

This guy simply is not at perfect health, and we should not treat him as such. He should be given as much time off as this team can afford. 1 game out of 3 sitting on the bench, plus added time off any day he actually doesn't feel well, certainly seems to me to seem like a reasonable precaution.

We will want Frank's bat at the end of the season. We absolutely should treat him with kid gloves all year.

And btw, this again, is another reason why Gload should get Timo's spot; Timo should never get at bats with these two. Never.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 11:23 PM)
Timo has to be happy to be making $1mil a year.

I mean come on Timo makes $1mil to sit around and watch baseball games.

Id sit on the bench for less than minimum wage.

Sb

Id pay to sit on the bench

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 19, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
Id pay to sit on the bench

and you'd pay dearly:

White Sox Dugout Experience

Price - $2,000 per person (2 Guests maximum)

* Guest(s) will sit in the White Sox dugout to watch a portion of

batting practice

* Two United Scout Seats (which includes food and beverages)

I, at first, questioned having Frank lead-off the inning. But, like was mentioned earlier, when I saw they were pitching around him, I saw the logic of the move. After Frank, we had the top of the order with a runner on and no outs. Ozuna has fairly decent speed as well, though he almost got his ass picked off of second. WE had a little luck that inning. First, Kent did have the bag on the Pods bunt and he should have been out, then a good throw from the catcher would have nailed Ozuna on the pick off attempt.