In House Options Looking Appealing

DBAHO

Two articles from the Sun - Times and Southtown, where KW thinks we might not make a major trade and fill any holes in house;

Though the Sox have the best record in baseball, Williams is gearing up for the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline. The GM, however, might not be as active as in years past.

"It might be a situation where your meddling would do just that — meddle, disrupt things," Williams said.

With outfielder Brian Anderson and pitcher Jeff Bajenaru at Charlotte and outfielder Ryan Sweeney and reliever Bobby Jenks at Double-A Birmingham, Williams may just seek help from inside the organization.

"I kind of like more what we have in-house than some of the middle-of-the-road guys that may be available," Williams said.

''Believe me, if there is something out there that is really special, don't you think for one minute that if I felt it gets us to the World Series, yeah, we would aggressively pursue that,'' Williams said Sunday. ''If there is a special player out there that can be had, we'll go down that road and see where it leads us.''

The rumor mill is stuffed with big-name players supposedly available -- pitchers such as Eric Milton, Roy Oswalt, Brandon Backe and Kip Wells and offensive threats such as Preston Wilson, Mike Cameron, Eric Chavez, Aubrey Huff and Matt Lawton.

Certainly, one of those names could give a talented Sox team an extra bounce in October.

Here's where Williams must take a step back from the table. He knows his roster isn't full of All-Stars, but there's something about this best-record-in-baseball team that can't be defined by simple statistics. The chemistry is perfect, and that's what Williams is afraid of messing up.

''This group of guys got us where we are,'' he said. ''It might be a situation where your meddling can only do that and disrupt some things. So you have to be very careful.

''All I'm saying is we are not going to make moves just to make a move. The acquisition might be in the form of what the Angels did a couple of years ago in bringing up [rookie reliever Francisco Rodriguez].''

Enter promising Sox rookie pitcher Brandon McCarthy. He returns from Class AAA Charlotte tonight to start in place of the ailing Orlando Hernandez.

Could McCarthy -- a 21-year-old right-hander who gets compared to Mark Buehrle and Mark Prior -- be the big midseason pickup for the Sox?

''That might be the guy,'' Williams said. ''We have a couple of other guys down there that, when I look around the league and I look at what might be available, and I look at what we have in-house, I think to myself, 'Uh, I kind of like what we have in-house more than some of these middle-of-the-road guys that may be available.'

''So just because there is a big name, so to speak, out there doesn't mean we are going to like him. It doesn't mean that he is going to fit in [the clubhouse] or out there [on the field] with these guys. So it might be something that is done internally. I know that is not the flashy way to do it.''

Now here are the stats on those 5 players, for those who don't know much about our minor leaguers;

Brandon McCarthy - 3-7, 5.48 ERA, 81 K's, 18 BB's, 11 HR's, 64 IP.

Jeff Bajenaru - 1-1, 0.99 ERA, 41 K's, 17 BB's, 8 SV.

Brian Anderson - .277/.346/.477, 71 K's, 27 BB's, 10 HR in 66 games.

Bobby Jenks - 1-2, 2.67 ERA, 40 K's, 17 BB's, 15 SV.

Ryan Sweeney - .262/.332/.320, 22 K's, 20 BB's, 0 HR in 53 games.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:10 PM)
Roy Oswalt available? I don't think so. If he was I'd send Mac, Anderson, Fields, and lifetime season tickets from the scout's section for that guy

No way Tim Purpura's dealing his best young starter, especially when the Roger Clemens rumors keep popping up. It's highly unlikely we deal for a starter anyways, unless B-Mac shows he's not ready, and El Duque keeps having his arm problems.

McCarthy should get two starts with Hernandez on the DL. If McCarthy proves he can get the job done then I don't think KW will look for a starter.

If McCarthy falls flat, he will probably go outside the organization. Other than McCarthy I don't see anyone close to ready in the Sox minor leagues.

holy crap.  look at andersons strike out numbers.  more than 1 per game

Yes, 71 K's in 66 games. He's been doing a little better lately in terms of not striking out but this year is all about him getting more experience and being a safety net in case one of the guys gets hurt.

This is very smart imo and what I expected as well. Crede is starting to hit a bit better and as long as he can hit decently he's very valuable because his glove is absolutely outstanding. The only other thing this team can maybe use is another bullpen arm and there are some good options down on the farm with Baj and Jenks. If Bobby dominates in Charlotte I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him with the Sox in July or August. I completely agree with kenny's thinking here, if there isn't a real special player out there don't mess with this team.

This is very smart imo and what I expected as well.  Crede is starting to hit a bit better and as long as he can hit decently he's very valuable because his glove is absolutely outstanding.  The only other thing this team can maybe use is another bullpen arm and there are some good options down on the farm with Baj and Jenks.  If Bobby dominates in Charlotte I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him with the Sox in July or August.  I completely agree with kenny's thinking here, if there isn't a real special player out there don't mess with this team.

I tend to agree and I hope the board remembers this if and when the Sox go into a small slump or lose a couple of series LOL.

It will be interesting to see if McCarthy can handle things. If he gets torched, it may force KW's hand. One thing for sure, he will not sit on his hands if there's a need.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
I tend to agree and I hope the board remembers this if and when the Sox go into a small slump or lose a couple of series LOL.

It will be interesting to see if McCarthy can handle things.  If he gets torched, it may force KW's hand.  One thing for sure, he will not sit on his hands if there's a need.

Like I said before I've been as guilty as anyone on here about talking trade, mostly because for me it's just good conversation and fun to talk about. Honestly though this team is just so special there really is no reason to mess with it unless there is a truely special player available but that's jmo.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
Would anybody here like for the Sox to pick up the Rocket if he comes let's say not so expensive...

Only under 2 conditions, If it didn't cost us that much and that he wouldn't be all for himself and he would buy into the team philosiphy that they are a team of players playing for one thing, not individuals playing for themselves.

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 09:34 AM)
I think we've come to expect something big from KW every deadline, this year may be different.  You gotta agree with him, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

But if he stands pat and it breaks he will get grilled. I agree with KW about going after middle of the road guys, but I would hate to have to rely on rookies in a pennant race and in the playoffs. The money is going to be there. I would be shocked if KW doesn't acquire a big name.

Edited by Dick Allen

But if he stands pat and it breaks he will get grilled. I agree with KW about going after middle of the road guys, but I would hate to have to rely on rookies in a pennant race and in the playoffs. The money is going to be there. I would be shocked if KW doesn't acquire a big name.

If you could add one big name, what position would you pick?

For me ... starting pitcher. Push El Duque or McCarthy to spot start or long relief.

Edit: This has the makings of a special season. All bets are off, they have to take the approach of going for it this year (of course you don't want to be stupid and drastically overpay). But to me, right now, every single prospect is available, assuming you get the right piece(s) in return. It would have to be a very special trade, but again, to me all bets are off.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)

For me ... starting pitcher.  Push El Duque or McCarthy to spot start or long relief.

For me it would be a starting pitcher or a top flight closer. Hermanson makes me nervous.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)

For me ... starting pitcher.  Push El Duque or McCarthy to spot start or long relief.

Edit:  This has the makings of a special season.  All bets are off, they have to take the approach of going for it this year (of course you don't want to be stupid and drastically overpay).  But to me, right now, every single prospect is available, assuming you get the right piece(s) in return.  It would have to be a very special trade, but again, to me all bets are off.

if we were to get anybody, you gotta go to the pitching side of things. Either a setup man/closer or a 4/5 starter. Especially since no one knows duque's situation anymore.