In House Options Looking Appealing

DBAHO

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
They're all the same. I say get the best guy out there whether it's a setup man or closer. I don't give a damn. Just Git 'R Dunn!!!

But what type of player would you prefer for us to get? One that could get it done in the ninth, or one that would preserve a lead for us.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 05:42 AM)
um, so when did Ryan Sweeney start to suck?

He was injured for the early part of the season, but he is hitting down at AA which is a pitchers park. Still it is disheartening to see him display no power when the likes of Chris Young who made the jump up from Kanny seem to be handling things ok.

Right now, the closer market is looking pretty thin. Wagner won't be dealt with the Phillies in contention. Mesa looks like he's headed to the D-Backs. Guardado no team will trade for, with that contract and arm. That leaves Brad Lidge, and Tim Purpura is going to want a hell of a lot for a guy who is very cheap in such an important position until 2008 IIRC. The only other guy I could possibly see getting dealt is Derrick Turnbow, if the Brewers are out of contention, but once again, a cheap, young closer, the Brewers are going to want some real good prospects.

It's more likely therefore a middle relief guy is acquired, but the Sox do have other options in Bajenaru, Jenks, Diaz and Munoz who have had success in the bullpen whether its AA, AAA or in the major leagues, if they want to go that route first.

Guardado no team will trade for, with that contract and arm.

Not sure why you'd say that no one would trade for him and his contract is quite reasonable for a closer(team option for $4.5 in '06, player option for less or FA). As to his arm, yes that concerns me but this is also something he has pitched with all yr to the tune of 19 saves and a 1.38 era. Is there a risk? Hell yea and that's why I've gone back and forth with him but that risk also means that his price will be much less and with him in a dual closer role with Hermy the prospect of him being overworked(actually both of them) can be controlled.

IMO he is exactly what KW is looking for, someone who can easily be added to the mix without upsetting the chemistry while significantly upgrading a key team component.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 11:14 PM)
Not sure why you'd say that no one would trade for him and his contract is quite reasonable for a closer(team option for $4.5 in '06, player option for less or FA). As to his arm, yes that concerns me but this is also something he has pitched with all yr to the tune of 19 saves and a 1.38 era. Is there a risk? Hell yea and that's why I've gone back and forth with him but that risk also means that his price will be much less and with him in a dual closer role with Hermy the prospect of him being overworked(actually both of them) can be controlled.

IMO he is exactly what KW is looking for, someone who can easily be added to the mix without upsetting the chemistry while significantly upgrading a key team component.

Teams are just going to be very weary with pitchers now. Look at Octavio Dotel. Dotel insisted he was fine, and now he's had surgery and won't be back for the rest of the year. For the price Seattle is going to ask for, I can't see many teams really wanting to make a big move for Eddie the Eagle.