In House Options Looking Appealing

DBAHO

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
If you could add one big name, what position would you pick?

For me ... starting pitcher.  Push El Duque or McCarthy to spot start or long relief.

Edit:  This has the makings of a special season.  All bets are off, they have to take the approach of going for it this year (of course you don't want to be stupid and drastically overpay).  But to me, right now, every single prospect is available, assuming you get the right piece(s) in return.  It would have to be a very special trade, but again, to me all bets are off.

I agree 100% with the second part. Its time to go for it. Not at any cost as you said, but this is an opportunity that who knows when and if you might have again.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One other thing, a hunch ...

Too many teams are still in it right now. KW likes to work early as we know, he may not be afforded that opportunity this year. Who knows. But the market may heat up in a frenzy mid July. Not saying a bunch of bidding wars, but guys who are totally unavailable right now just might be a month from now. KW alluded to this very thing by saying a bunch of middle-of-the-road guys are out there, and he appears to like the in house options better.

That's the status as of 6/20. By 7/20 it could be totally different.

Agree with Jim about a SP. Jason Schmidt would top my list there. Could use another LHRP too. Mike Gonzalez and Scott Eyre would be nice.

I think San Fran is a team we should be talking to. Besides the aforementioned Schmidt and Eyre, we've already beaten the Feliz horse to death.

Edited by ISF

''Believe me, if there is something out there that is really special, don't you think for one minute that if I felt it gets us to the World Series, yeah, we would aggressively pursue that,'' Williams said Sunday. ''If there is a special player out there that can be had, we'll go down that road and see where it leads us.''

This certainly goes against the theory of only "minor tweaks" or guys like Rob Mackowiak argued by some on this board. I'm still betting Kenny gets a big name player in here. He loves his trades.

This certainly goes against the theory of only "minor tweaks" or guys like Rob Mackowiak argued by some on this board. I'm still betting Kenny gets a big name player in here. He loves his trades.

Who knows if he can get a big name, or if there will be a fit with the other team.

He has always looked to make the team better, that's no secret. You keep on saying "he did it before, he'll do it again." This year is the first time he's ever come out and said he wants to be very careful about changing the chemistry, and that's been the basis for my comments.

Just because you want a big trade is no reason to imply "I told you so" every time KW says he'll consider every possible option.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
As long as we're dreaming...Brad Lidge?

I dont think that is much of a dream, I think it falls into the realm of possibility the more that Houston loses.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
I dont think that is much of a dream, I think it falls into the realm of possibility the more that Houston loses.

Not with his contract situation. It's way too attractive to Houston for them to even consider dealing him.

That's why I said as long as long as we're dreaming. I'd love to have him. But Hermanson is doing a fine job. I can dream about having Lidge and his nasty slider in the Sox bullpen even though it'd never happen.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
Not with his contract situation.  It's way too attractive to Houston for them to even consider dealing him.

He is making the minimum now, and is eligible for arbitration after this year, right? If the Astros are rebuilding from within, then they probably would look to nab some prospects for someone that they are paying hardly anything, thats just the way I see it. If they can nab some good prospects for Lidge, it seems to be a good deal for them.

No mention of Joe Randa or any other names for the hot corner? I need two moves for this team.

1) Eddie Guardado for our closer. It will really set up the bullpen nicely.

2) Joe Randa. Perfect hitter for our type of game and he has a great glove.

Now what does it take to get these guys? I can't believe either would cost us a whole bunch and definitely not our top of the line guys. I don't know if Seattle still likes Borchard but you can put him in a deal along with others to get Guardado.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:13 PM)
No mention of Joe Randa or any other names for the hot corner? I need two moves for this team.

1) Eddie Guardado for our closer. It will really set up the bullpen nicely.

2) Joe Randa. Perfect hitter for our type of game and he has a great glove.

Now what does it take to get these guys? I can't believe either would cost us a whole bunch and definitely not our top of the line guys. I don't know if Seattle still likes Borchard but you can put him in a deal along with others to get Guardado.

Guardado has a torn rotator cuff and has been playing with it all season i believe.

EDIT:Jun 14 Guardado has been pitching with some elbow discomfort. The Seattle closer already is working with a torn rotator cuff, and it's possible that has put more strain on his pitching elbow. Guardado's shoulder hasn't kept him from putting together an impressive 2005 season. Despite a loss of velocity caused by the shoulder injury, he is 0-1 with 17 saves and a stellar 1.57 ERA.

Edited by sayitaintso

lol at Sweeney going to help the team this year. Maybe the organization should let him try and stop being so ungodly overrated before we have another wt dream about Sweeney in the bigs. Gotta love the SLG% the last two years.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Wasnt it reported around here that Guardado is pitching with  a torn labrum or severely messed up shoulder?

According to rotoworld, he's got elbow soreness. In any case, major injury risk.

Eddie Guardado shook off a sore elbow and pitched a perfect ninth tonight for his 18th save.

Guardado has complained of discomfort recently, but he's going to pitch through it. In case you were wondering, it was his shoulder, not his elbow, that ended his season last year.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 06:15 PM)
Guardado has a torn rotator cuff and has been playing with it all season i believe.

EDIT:Jun 14 Guardado has been pitching with some elbow discomfort. The Seattle closer already is working with a torn rotator cuff, and it's possible that has put more strain on his pitching elbow. Guardado's shoulder hasn't kept him from putting together an impressive 2005 season. Despite a loss of velocity caused by the shoulder injury, he is 0-1 with 17 saves and a stellar 1.57 ERA.

OOOOOPS! Then if there is another closer out there that can be had I would like to get him. Shawn Chacon if he is doing good with his rehab? Danys Baez? Maybe just bring up Bobby Jenks and see how he does.

I still want Randa. What would it take to get him? Joe Crede and a low level prospect perhaps?

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
OOOOOPS! Then if there is another closer out there that can be had I would like to get him. Shawn Chacon if he is doing good with his rehab? Danys Baez? Maybe just bring up Bobby Jenks and see how he does.

Why all the talk about another closer? What is wrong with Hermanson? If anything we need another middle reliever.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)
Why all the talk about another closer?  What is wrong with Hermanson? If anything we need another middle reliever.

Well, if you bring in a great closer, then you acquire a great middle reliever by default with Hermanson sliding to the middle reliever role, right?