After AJ's big walk off...

southsider2k5

I started talking to my wife about the most memorable games I have ever seen, and was trying to rank that with some others.

Here is my list

#1- Robin Ventura's walkoff Grand Slam against Goose Gossage of the Rangers

#2 Dave Stieb pitching a no hitter into the 9th against the Sox at old Comiskey. The Blue Jays were leading 6-0 and everyone had started to cheer for him to get the no-no, except for me, and then the bottom of the 9th came around. Rudy Law, Bryan Little, and Harold Baines, went backtobacktoback to make it a 6-3 game, followed by Fisk and Kittle getting backtoback doubles to make it 6-4. The Jays then went to the pen, and finished off the win. I'll just never forget everyone going crazy.

#3-Harold Baines hits a walk off 3 run HR against Dan Quisenberry of the Royals, while Quiz is the best reliver in the game.

#4-Sox get down 6-0 to the Cubs early, and comeback to win 13-8 in a huge turnaround.

#5 Carlos Lee's extra inning Grand Slam to win a game against the Cubs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:11 PM)
I'm still a youngin so I don't remember much before 1990, but Ventura's slam is easily tops in my head.

Second I think I have to put that GW home run that Joe Crede hit last July.  (was actually on my dad's birthday)

I was at that game. It was the last time we were in first place. :crying

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
I started talking to my wife about the most memorable games I have ever seen, and was trying to rank that with some others.

Here is my list

#2 Dave Stieb pitching a no hitter into the 9th against the Sox at old Comiskey.  The Blue Jays were leading 6-0 and everyone had started to cheer for him to get the no-no, except for me, and then the bottom of the 9th came around.  Rudy Law, Bryan Little, and Harold Baines, went backtobacktoback to make it a 6-3 game, followed by Fisk and Kittle getting backtoback doubles to make it 6-4.  The Jays then went to the pen, and finished off the win.  I'll just never forget everyone going crazy.

#3-Harold Baines hits a walk off 3 run HR against Dan Quisenberry of the Royals, while Quiz is the best reliver in the game.

#4-Sox get down 6-0 to the Cubs early, and comeback to win 13-8 in a huge turnaround.

The Frank walkoff a couple of years ago after Pauly hit a bomb to tie it in the bottom of the 9th against Guardado.

That 8-0 comeback against the cubs with Pauly going yard twice.

The 3-0 comeback off Wickman the 2nd game of this season was pretty special too just because the offense was so down the first 2 games.

Those are just 3 that came to me right away, there's been plenty more then that though.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
It has to get mentioned.  The July 1, 2003 game against Minny.  It was Robbie and Carl's first game in a Sox uni; I wanted us to take that so bad.  Kong hits the PH game-tying HR.  Frank goes to LF w/ the walkoff the very next inning.

Beat me to it. That game was just special cause it finished off the sweep of the Twins. Of course Koch blew the mojo on the 4th of July. Greasy, not to be picky but that game was July 2nd.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Beat me to it.  That game was just special cause it finished off the sweep of the Twins.  Of course Koch blew the mojo on the 4th of July.  Greasy, not to be picky but that game was July 2nd.

Ah that's right. July 1st was the night the trades were made. My bad. :bang

Here's the boxscore

Edited by greasywheels121

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
Ah that's right.  July 1st was the night the trades were made.  My bad.  :bang

That game sticks in my mind because I remember having an offday after that game and then Koch blowing the game on a Crawford walkoff on the 4th :crying

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
You can devote an entire thread to, "Koch's Botches".

This is true but I'll always wish the guy the best just cause of the way he handled himself here even though he was stuggling. But man, that game hurt so much momentum from that Twins series and it was all gone with one swing.

My favorite moment was in 2000 against the A's at home. Singleton walked in the 9th with the Sox down one. He stole second, and took third when the throw went into CF. He then scored on a balk.

In the bottom of the 10th, Valentin walked to lead off the inning. Thomas came up and hit a shot off the top of the wall, while Valentin chugged around the bases. There was a play at the plate, and Jose did a perfect slide to get just out of reach. There was one of those long pauses from the ump that seemed to take forever. Then you hear the call, "SAFE!." And the crowd erupted.

I went to a game on my birthday in 1996 against the Brewers. I think Mike Fetters came in and gave up back to back to back homeruns to Thomas, Baines, and Ventura, a single to Lyle Mouton, and another homerun to Chad Kreuter.

Birthday presents dont come wrapped any better than that.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
It has to get mentioned.  The July 1, 2003 game against Minny.  It was Robbie and Carl's first game in a Sox uni; I wanted us to take that so bad.  Kong hits the PH game-tying HR.  Frank goes to LF w/ the walkoff the very next inning.

I also remember that being the game that ended Paulie's beg. of the year slump.....

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
The Frank walkoff a couple of years ago after Pauly hit a bomb to tie it in the bottom of the 9th against Guardado. 

That 8-0 comeback against the cubs with Pauly going yard twice.

The 3-0 comeback off Wickman the 2nd game of this season was pretty special too just because the offense was so down the first 2 games.

Those are just 3 that came to me right away, there's been plenty more then that though.

those two homers were after wood plunked konerko in the head earlier in the game too

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:39 PM)
There was a game (I think September 2000) where the Sox were down something like 8-1 to the Angels.  They came back in the 8th and won the game!

I like the others in the list as well.

They came back from like an 8-run deficit three games in a row against the Angels.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
There was a game (I think September 2000) where the Sox were down something like 8-1 to the Angels.  They came back in the 8th and won the game!

I like the others in the list as well.

ah yes, i was there...mo vaughn hit a grand slam off of jesus pena i believe it was....either pena or lorenzo barcelo....cant remember

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:07 PM)
#2 Dave Stieb pitching a no hitter into the 9th against the Sox at old Comiskey.  The Blue Jays were leading 6-0 and everyone had started to cheer for him to get the no-no, except for me, and then the bottom of the 9th came around.  Rudy Law, Bryan Little, and Harold Baines, went backtobacktoback to make it a 6-3 game, followed by Fisk and Kittle getting backtoback doubles to make it 6-4.  The Jays then went to the pen, and finished off the win.  I'll just never forget everyone going crazy.

I was at this game, sitting in the grandstand down the left field line; it was 1984, IIRC. A woman and her two kids actually left the park in the 8th inning!

My friend and I asked her, "Where are you going? Why are you leaving?"

She replied, "Look at the scoreboard!"

Me, mouth agape and completely incredulous, "Yeah, look at it!"

She left with her kids and my friend (a Twins fan and now a Priest, BTW) "Boy, she's really f'in stupid, huh?" We then got into a really good conversation with a guy who had been coming to the park since the days of Willie Kamm.

The game where Roberto Hernandez became something was an incredible game...Sox fell down 5-0 Early against Detroit, pitching was in Shambles, Hernandez comes in and absolutely silences Detroit's bats, and we end up winning 6-5. A few weeks later he was our closer.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)

Those are my top two. The first one, of course, because it's Robin. What didn't he do for the Sox?

I especially remember that Carlos Lee game, because I was there. What better way to end it. He destroyed that Courtney Duncan pitch. I remember watching all the dumbass Cub fans hanging their heads as we left the ball park.

Of course the best one is 1983....Harold Baines' sac fly scoring Julio Cruz to win the 1983 AL West Crown. They won that division by 20 games!!

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
I was at this game, sitting in the grandstand down the left field line; it was 1984, IIRC.  A woman and her two kids actually left the park in the 8th inning! 

My friend and I asked her, "Where are you going?  Why are you leaving?" 

She replied, "Look at the scoreboard!"

Me, mouth agape and completely incredulous, "Yeah, look at it!"

She left with her kids and my friend (a Twins fan and now a Priest, BTW) "Boy, she's really f'in stupid, huh?"  We then got into a really good conversation with a guy who had been coming to the park since the days of Willie Kamm.

Awesome. Not many people remember this game because we didn't win. I think it was 1984 or 1985 IIRC.

It was also the game that my dad used to teach me that you never leave a game early.

Love the opinions here!

Mine would have to be the CLee grand slam against the Cubs. It made it better because I was there with 3 Cub fans. The driver wanted to leave in the 8th. I told him to F off and leave my stuff by the porta potty and I would take the South Shore back to Indiana and find a way from the station to home (about 15 miles). Well, he never left me, but b****ed the whole time we were stuck in traffic, while I had a HUGE smile on my face behind his back! :headbang