Batman Begins with $71M Launch

Yoda

batmanbegins_bustposter.jpg

1.) Batman Begins $46,935,000

2.) Mr. and Mrs. Smith $27,300,000

3.) Madagascar $11,100,000

4.) Star Wars: Episode III $9,700,000

5.) The Longest Yard $8,000,000

Out of the cave and into the top spot, Batman Begins relaunched a key franchise for Warner Bros. with a five-day launch of $71.1M including an estimated $46.9M over the Friday-to-Sunday portion. The super hero tale began its box office journey with a strong start, however given the size of today's big blockbuster openings and the fact that competition was not too fierce, the debut weekend gross came in somewhat below industry expectations. Playing in 3,858 theaters as of Friday, the PG-13 film averaged a muscular $12,166 per location.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
Any word on whether Nolan might direct a sequel?  I haven't seen Begins yet so I probably shouldn't make a judgement but he's one of our great directors and I think I would want him to move onto a new subject matter.

i remember reading an article at dark horizons that everyone is up to make two or three sequels..

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:56 PM)
i remember reading an article at dark horizons that everyone is up to make two or three sequels..

hope so as long as nolan keeps directing. the end of it leaves them room to either make a sequel or stand alone as the precursor to burton's batman...

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
hope so as long as nolan keeps directing. the end of it leaves them room to either make a sequel or stand alone as the precursor to burton's batman...

I'm pretty sure they don't want to be associated with the Tim Burton/Other Batman movies at all. If they did they wouldn't have had Joe Chill as the guy that killed Wayne's parents, they would have had Jack Napier/Joker which wasn't the original story from the comics.

I feel like they are going to build up joker over the next movie and have him in the third. They talked about him having a double homicide and something else in the movie I recall. That sounds like small stuff for a big time villain like the Joker. They could also use the Scarecrow in the next movie if they so desired. At any rate, I loved the movie and I can't wait for the next one.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 02:48 PM)
I did read something that said there will be another one and the Joker will be played by Mark Hamill, Crispin Glover or one other person.  I don't remember where I saw it...I just know Mark Hamill as the Joker stuck in my head.

Mark hamill did the original joker voice for the animated series and some other batman voices since the series is over.

Edited by TheBlackSox8

It seems likely that Warner Brothers, when they do actually start looking at actors will want a name. So far the names being tossed around include really horrible choices like Robin Williams and Adam Sandler. There’s also a rumor that it could be Mark Hamill, started no doubt because of his incredible voice work playing the Joker in Batman’s animated incarnations. Hamill captures the Joker’s voice BRILLIANTLY, but whether or not he could pull it off in live action is something else entirely. Still, even if he crashed and burned I’d love to see Mark finally get a shot at another big time movie role. He’s waited long enough.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new.php?id=1247

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Any word on whether Nolan might direct a sequel?  I haven't seen Begins yet so I probably shouldn't make a judgement but he's one of our great directors and I think I would want him to move onto a new subject matter.

Joel Schumacher to direct the sequels!

Every movie Nolan has made, have been top notch film making. If there are others besides Memento, Insomnia, and Batman Begins, my bad.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
Joel Schumacher to direct the sequels!

Every movie Nolan has made, have been top notch film making. If there are others besides Memento, Insomnia, and Batman Begins, my bad.

It's funny you say that. His first movie was Following and I just handed in a paper on it. Also a solid flick.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0154506/

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 08:54 PM)
Batman Begins IMO was a VERY well done film. Was about time that they spent some time working on the "training" of Bruce Wayne, and I thought Bale did an excellent job in taking over the tights.

It isn't too hard to be an improvement over Val Kilmer or George Clooney.

I haven't seen BB yet but it is going to be hard to top Michael Keaton's performance as the Caped Crusader (I think I'm gonna watch that movie tonight with all this talk of Batman)

"Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!"

All hail - the new king in town

Young and old, gather 'round (yeah)

Black and white, red and green (funky)

The funkiest man you've ever seen

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
It isn't too hard to be an improvement over Val Kilmer or George Clooney.

I haven't seen BB yet but it is going to be hard to top Michael Keaton's performance as the Caped Crusader (I think I'm gonna watch that movie tonight with all this talk of Batman)

"Gentlemen, let's broaden our minds!"

All hail - the new king in town

Young and old, gather 'round (yeah)

Black and white, red and green (funky)

The funkiest man you've ever seen

From nearly every where i have seen bale>keaton's performance. I have not seen it yet either but i wouldn't doubt it. Bale has been in some good movies and i really like his acting abilities.

Saw the movie tonight and enjoyed it, I wrote this at film-talk.com

http://www.film-talk.com/forums/index.php?...opic=6948&st=15

I definitely enjoyed the movie, and I'm not a Batman fan at all. Action scenes were very weak and uninteresting but Nolan doesn't do action and for that reason I hope he doesn't do the sequel and picks another project. He is one of the best current directors, try something new. Also no one mentions how good Wilkinson was as Falconeee. Cillian Murphy's character was also super-cool, but the whole taser to the face thing was bizarre. Oh and the whole poison gas thing was very neat.

8/10

This movie succeeds where Star Wars Revenge of the Sith fails.

God I love free movie tickets. :lol:

So yeah saw Batman Begins tonight. Really enjoyed it, Christian Bale was perfect for the role and had it down to a tee, but I almost couldn't help myself laughing at Katie Holmes being a tough DA after what's happened with her and Cruise over the past few weeks. :huh

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
the action scenes were too short, and filmed to close to the actors.  They were definitly weak.

Idonno what movie you were watching I loved this movie, and thats saying something since I hated all the other batman movies with the exception when Jack Nicholas played joker.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Idonno what movie you were watching I loved this movie, and thats saying something since I hated all the other batman movies with the exception when Jack Nicholas played joker.

FI has a statuette (is that the word) of Jack as the Joker in our living room in a display with a silver Joker mask and a statuette of the old Joker from the TV show. Then there is the cabinet with Joker stuff and his Joker tatoo...yes, he is obsessed. lol