Most wins by a releif pitcher -- season

Texsox

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Koch had 11 or so with 40 saves before we got him, now that's valauble to a fantasy team

That probably because of all his blown saves.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
Then what happened....

You don't want closers to have wins...or losses...Koch kept blowing leads that his team would regain in the bottom of the ninth....that's why I never understood trading for that guy....although we did get Cotts...

Rightbut you also have to remember that Oakland used their closers differently so its not that he blew 20 saves and hung on to win half. They'd bring in guys early or in tied games. Not saying he didn't blow a few for them but it wouldn't be entirely accurate to say his 11 wins were undesirable

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
You don't want closers to have wins...or losses...Koch kept blowing leads that his team would regain in the bottom of the ninth....that's why I never understood trading for that guy....although we did get Cotts...

Cotts really didn't turn out as we expected him to until partially last year and now this year.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:56 PM)
Rightbut you also have to remember that Oakland used their closers differently so its not that he blew 20 saves and hung on to win half. They'd bring in guys early or in tied games. Not saying he didn't blow a few for them but it wouldn't be entirely accurate to say his 11 wins were undesirable

Koch led the league in 2002 with 9 blown saves...here is an article about some of the times the A's came back to save his ass...like I said, I don't understand why we ever traded for this guy...

Koch Blows

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
wins as a closer is not much to proud of.  More than likely, if you are the closer and you have 11 wins, its because of how piss poor you pitched in blowing a save, and then finishing out the inning and having the offense pick up for your misfortune.

I don't think Cliff has any reason to be anything but proud of his wins.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
I don't expect Cliff to win 18, but with the amount of close games the Sox play, it's certainly possible.

It is very possible, the way Cliff has been pitching, and the way we seem to comeback whenever he pitches i wouldn't doubt that he could do it.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
Cotts really didn't turn out as we expected him to until partially last year and now this year.

He's 25 and has only been in the league since the beginning of last year. He had awesome minor league number but struggled when he first came up as a pitcher.

Cotts became a pretty good prospect in 2003 with the numbers he was putting up at Charlotte. He has now settled down in his second season in the big leagues. That's kind of an ignorant statement to make, saying that he didn't really turn out as we expected him to until partially last year and now this year considering last year was his first season in the bigs.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 01:33 PM)
He's 25 and has only been in the league since the beginning of last year. He had awesome minor league number but struggled when he first came up as a pitcher.

Cotts became a pretty good prospect in 2003 with the numbers he was putting up at Charlotte. He has now settled down in his second season in the big leagues. That's kind of an ignorant statement to make, saying that he didn't really turn out as we expected him to until partially last year and now this year considering last year was his first season in the bigs.

He WAS a starting pitcher in the minor leagues, from that standpoint he didn't turn out how he was expected to. When we called him up he was a starting pitcher and sucked at it so we moved him to relief. In relief he has done well. As a starting pitcher not so well. I love what Neal has done for us this year, but he was susposed to be a good starting pitcher and he just isn't one. He is a good reliever. And since when was the truth ignorant?

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
I don't think Cliff has any reason to be anything but proud of his wins.

Oh, no doubt...these could be considered holds, if he hadn't of gotten a win...his are different...Usually having wins as a reliever is bad.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 06:52 PM)
That probably because of all his blown saves.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 06:54 PM)
You don't want closers to have wins...or losses...

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 07:30 PM)
wins as a closer is not much to proud of.  More than likely, if you are the closer and you have 11 wins, its because of how piss poor you pitched in blowing a save, and then finishing out the inning and having the offense pick up for your misfortune.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
Having wins as a closer is bad.

Hey guys! I just had this interesting, original idea. Maybe it's not great for closers to have a bunch of wins. Maybe it just means they blew too many saves. Whaddya guys think, is that a good idea? Huh? Huh?