Attendence thread

Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
He is one of those that loves to come on here, talk s***, give his two cents, yet never goes to a game.  Seems like there are a lot of those around here.

That appears to be the case.

He hasn't popped back in to tell us how he has been to less games than you, an out-of-towner.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
How many games have you made it to?

I have been to 6 games myself and work nights. I work in the restaurant business and its hard to get to games. So I do my part ingetting to games. I am just so sick of hearing about attendance. If we draw 2.3 million people this wich is likely then the Sox fans have done a tremendous job. So everyone just shut up about attendance.

Rich

I appreciate the graph action Gene...nice to see that positive of a trend especially without having played any of our big attendance games yet this year.

I make it to as many games as my schedule allows but I should go to more. I've been to 13 thus far, not bad but I'll try to do better :D

debating about your team's attendance is like competing in the special olympics. even if you win, you're still retarded.

but seriously, i'm a fan of the new jersey devils. and if you don't know, NO ONE goes to their games. NO ONE. ticket prices are flat out absurd, and the fan base isn't what it could be because of the rangers and islanders.

you know what though? i couldn't care less. they are my favorite team. period. i don't care if i'm the only who watches. they win, i'm happy. they lose, i'm sad. i don't care how many people they play in front of. i don't know why anyone would.

i'm sure you guys get this from cubs fans a lot, but rangers fans loving giving us devils fans s*** about attendance. "why don't you go watch your team in a half-filled arena?"

meanwhile, the devils are like 30-1-12 in their last 43 against the rangers. it's laughable when ATTENDANCE is what worries you. all you should care about is whether or not your team wins.

so, in other words, stop worrying so much about what others think. white sox rule, and so do you!

Attendance: 34,345.

I thought it was more than that. It looked full. I don't know if all parks are like the Cell but there always are about 2K-3K fans moving about at the games. That movement makes the park look even fuller.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
Attendance: 34,345.

I thought it was more than that.  It looked full.  I don't know if all parks are like the Cell but there always are about 2K-3K fans moving about at the games.  That movement makes the park look even fuller.

I was there and at gametime the 3 corner sections were all basically empty but a bunch of late arriving walkups came and the park filled out nicely. I was kind of disappointed at first because of it being half price and it only looked like a 29-30k crowd but it ended up being alright. A sellout should be accomplished when it's half price night for the best team in the MLB.

I really think that in 20 years the Cell will sellout every game. There is so much to do in the ballpark. There is something for everyone. Fundamentals is awesome, but we were too old to do stuff there. That's something for the kids. The bullpen sports bar is really nice and the concourse/fan deck are a great place to hang out for the teens/middle age. Then the old folks can go to the stadium club or club section and have a good time. It's such a nice ballpark, way to underappreciated.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 12:14 AM)
I was there and at gametime the 3 corner sections were all basically empty but a bunch of late arriving walkups came and the park filled out nicely. I was kind of disappointed at first because of it being half price and it only looked like a 29-30k crowd but it ended up being alright. A sellout should be accomplished when it's half price night for the best team in the MLB.

I really think that in 20 years the Cell will sellout every game. There is so much to do in the ballpark. There is something for everyone. Fundamentals is awesome, but we were too old to do stuff there. That's something for the kids. The bullpen sports bar is really nice and the concourse/fan deck are a great place to hang out for the teens/middle age. Then the old folks can go to the stadium club or club section and have a good time. It's such a nice ballpark, way to underappreciated.

Old folks? Yer Banned! :stick

Damn, I think I am going to cry. I can't believe that the season is over. We won't be pouring champagne over eachother and holding up the trophy they give in October for league's best attendance.

LAst I checked, we get nada for having great attendance. And, these figures are worthless until the end of the year. Wait until all the numbers are in. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

People who are worried about attendance don't get to enjoy this special season to its fullest. Why worry about attendance when there's nothing you can do about it. It's not like you have 10,000 friends who you can bring with you. Those people are gonna be bummed tonight...the last 3 corner sections on either side will be empty..probably 22K...and then Wed..ouch. I'm just preparing myself for all their rants later on.

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:58 AM)
People who are worried about attendance don't get to enjoy this special season to its fullest.  Why worry about attendance when there's nothing you can do about it.  It's not like you have 10,000 friends who you can bring with you.  Those people are gonna be bummed tonight...the last 3 corner sections on either side will be empty..probably 22K...and then Wed..ouch.  I'm just preparing myself for all their rants later on.

My guess:

24,000 tonight

15,000 Wed afternoon

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 07:58 AM)
People who are worried about attendance don't get to enjoy this special season to its fullest.  Why worry about attendance when there's nothing you can do about it.  It's not like you have 10,000 friends who you can bring with you.  Those people are gonna be bummed tonight...the last 3 corner sections on either side will be empty..probably 22K...and then Wed..ouch.  I'm just preparing myself for all their rants later on.

The more fans that show up the more money that will be put back into this team.

Why spend $100M on payroll if you are going to draw 20,000 when you can spend $30M and draw 15,000.

Do you see why attendance is important?

I understand there is nothing you can do but when JR is blamed for not spending, it is not his fault. There is no reason to not go to the park.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
The more fans that show up the more money that will be put back into this team.

Why spend $100M on payroll if you are going to draw 20,000 when you can spend $30M and draw 15,000.

Do you see why attendance is important?

I understand there is nothing you can do but when JR is blamed for not spending, it is not his fault.  There is no reason to not go to the park.

He is not saying attendence isnt important, He is saying there is so many threads about it and most people on this message board make it 2 as many games as they can so its almost pointless calling out sox fans to go to games here. You want to call out sox fans write an article in the paper.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 11:23 AM)
last 7 games - average attendance

pretty sweet.

Wait till late in the season when everyone will speculate when we will clinch the central. Attendance will definitely be soaring. I know I'll be at almost every home game in September.

In the early 90's, I remember alot of talk about the Yankees possibly moving from the Bronx to a better location. Their problems are similar to the Sox in terms of location (I think Yanks are worse, but not sure). When the Sox consistently (for a few years, not half a season) start putting winning teams out on the field, they'll draw. Look at how the Yankees attendance spiked after 96 when they won the Series. I don't expect the Sox to have a $200 million payroll anytime soon, though.

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/yankatte.shtml

Guys it is this simple. There is no sense freaking out everytime we draw 20k to a game.

You can't average 38,000 a game with a season ticket holder base of something like 10-15k people. We had a walk up of almost 10,000 people last night to get to the 34,000 we got. This isn't a one month deal, building attendance takes years. That's right, years. You have to build a big season ticket base, while simultaniously building casual interest. How long were the Cubs on WGN everyday, nationwide, before they started getting 35k a night? Here is their historical attendance numbers. Does anyone see a year where their attendance jumps 10,000 a game? I don't. As a matter of a fact their biggest jump of the last ten years was in 1998, which just happened to be the year they made the playoffs. But if you look at it, their attendance trends up by a couple thousand people a game, every year. So even the miracle Cubs attendance, wasn't some overnight thing. It took about 20 years to get to the point where it is at now.

http://baseball-almanac.com/teams/cubsatte.shtml

As per the chart that GHC posted, the Sox attendance is up about 10% this year which would translate to an extra 200,000 people at the ball park. Using a conservative guess of each person spending $50 during their ballpark experience, we are talking about an extra $10 million in revenues for the Sox. Keep in mind the Sox have not hosted the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs yet, who are their biggest draws traditionally, and they also have not yet had 5 Monday nite games, and none of the pennant race games have yet been played.

Climb back off your ledges people, this is a work in progress, and it is building.

I've said it once, I will say it again, I would rather have 10,000 honest to go sox fans, than 40,000 yahoo's taking up space. I like it better when there is almost nobody there so I can move seats if I want to, get in line for food faster, bathroom breaks take 2 min and I dont have to put up with ignorant people who walk down the aisle during a pitch. I honestly couldnt give 2 s***s about our attendance, at all.

Here's a weird angle for you. Do you think the success of the team might actually hurt attendance in the second half? It appears to be a real possibility that this team will make the post season. Perhaps some fans will save their money for playoff tix instead of splurging on a few extra regular season games.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 11:47 AM)
Here's a weird angle for you. Do you think the success of the team might actually hurt attendance in the second half? It appears to be a real possibility that this team will make the post season. Perhaps some fans will save their money for playoff tix instead of splurging on a few extra regular season games.

Interesting thought, but I doubt it. Chicago fans love a winner, and jump in with two feet.

How many season tickets to the cubs our held by businesses and distributed to clients, employees, whoever?? I'm willing to bet that's a big difference in season tickets holders between sox and cubs. Businesses have clients that want to see Wrigley? Is there any data on that or any way to find out??

Tickets held by fans vs tickets held by companies??

It's a write off for a business isn't it??

Edited by Controlled Chaos

I was there and at gametime the 3 corner sections were all basically empty but a bunch of late arriving walkups came and the park filled out nicely.

That's not uncommon. Since 2000 I always show up at the game early & it always seems like a 1/2 full house. But every where you look people are walking around. Then by the 3rd inning it looks much fuller. I really think it's all about the food at the Cell. ESPN featured only a smidgen of what's there. I still believe it's 2nd to none to other MLB parks when it comes to the food.

It was a great night to be sitting in the bleachers & watching the fireworks both at the plate & behind the scoreboard.

I just wish Boyer would have more promotions linked to the food. Every one I go to the games with raves about the food. It's something Wrigley can't come close to competing in. The Sox should do a much better job selling the food at the park. How about a free brat with paid admission?

Looking at the white sox attendance page

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/teams/wsoxatte.shtml

The Sox were hurt more by the strike than anything else. We were drawing 30-36,000 average the first four years at new comiskey.

and that's back when the neighborhood was much, much worse than it is now.

Edited by Hideaway Lights