knightni

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bull Durham quote:

We gotta play 'em one day at a time.

I'm just happy to be here and hope I can help the ballclub.

I just wanta give it my best shot and, Good Lord willing, things'll work out.

Let's keep it real & not get ahead of ourselves.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
We missed you in the chat tonight, Nuke.

I was out for the evening. I didn't even get in until the 7th inning had started and I caught the end of the game with whoever was there. I defenitely wont be around tomorrow though. I got a whole trainload of stuff to do and won't be around in the evening.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
I was out for the evening.  I didn't even get in until the 7th inning had started and I caught the end of the game with whoever was there.  I defenitely wont be around tomorrow though.  I got a whole trainload of stuff to do and won't be around in the evening.

Without you the chat is boring as hell. Noone talks about s*** and when they do it's all negative.

Garland goes for No. 12 against KC

06/21/2005 12:50 AM ET

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

In just his 14th start of 2005, Jon Garland can match a win total that he took 33 starts to reach in 2004, 32 in 2003 and 33 to hit again in 2002.

But picking up victory No. 12, which would be a Major League high, doesn't seem to add any extra importance into this appearance for the right-hander.

"We will see when it comes," said Garland of the significance held by wins Nos. 12 and 13. "All I can do is go one start at a time.

"I didn't deserve to win the last one, but things went my way," Garland added. "It all eventually evens out, though."

Garland gave up six runs in six innings during his last start on Wednesday against Arizona, but a 10-run sixth inning for the White Sox produced victory No. 11. He has a 6-0 record with a 3.30 ERA at U.S. Cellular Field this season.

Zack Greinke, another talented young right-hander who hasn't had near the success of Garland, gets the call for the Royals. Despite having a 1-7 record and an ERA just short of 6.00, Greinke has looked solid against the White Sox this season. He has allowed seven hits and three earned runs over 14 1/3 innings and two starts, striking out 12 and walking four.

Paul Konerko and Carl Everett have found absolutely no luck against Greinke, with Konerko producing one hit in 13 at-bats and Everett going hitless in 13 trips to the plate. The White Sox have a 7-0 record against the Royals this season and have won eight in a row and 12 of their last 13 against Kansas City dating back to 2004.

Pitching matchup

KC: RHP Zack Greinke

• 1-7, 5.97 ERA in 2005

• 0-1, 1.88 ERA in 2005 vs. CWS

CWS: RHP Jon Garland

• 11-2, 3.61 ERA in 2005

• 3-1, 4.37 ERA in 2004 vs. KC

Player to watch

With hits in nine of his last 11 games, Joe Crede has watched his average rise to .243. He has a chance to take it a step higher on Tuesday, with five hits in 12 career at-bats against Greinke, including one home run and two RBIs.

Quotable

"We haven't had the discussion yet, but I doubt it. We have confidence in the kid and if you do that, you take the confidence away from the kid. I'm not saying I won't do it. I will think about it." --White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, on possibly skipping Brandon McCarthy for Sunday's series finale against the Cubs and pitching Garland on regular rest

On the Internet

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

• Gameday

• Official game notes

On television

• KC: RSTN

• CWS: CSN

On radio

• KC: WHB

• CWS: ESPN Radio WMVP-AM 1000

Quick hits

Frank Thomas' 442nd career home run on Monday ties him with Dave Kingman for 29th on the all-time list. Jeff Bagwell, at 449, is next on Thomas' list, followed by Carl Yastrzemski (452). ... Jermaine Dye extended his hitting streak to six games (.381) Monday and has hit a home run in four of his last five games. ... Konerko is batting .643 (9-for-14) with two home runs lifetime against Jose Lima. ... Tadahito Iguchi recorded his 15th multihit game and sixth three-hit game. He is hitting .326 at home ... The White Sox improved to 20-4 when collecting 10-plus hits. ... The White Sox had a season-high 17 hits at home. ... The White Sox have outscored their opponents by a 52-28 margin in the first inning. ... The White Sox have an extra-base hit in a season-high 42 straight games. ... The White Sox are 21-5 against the American League Central. ... They are 24-10 at home, 35-15 vs. right-handed starters, 31-15 at night, 12-5 in June and 5-2 on the current 12-game homestand.

On deck

• Wednesday: vs. Royals, 1:05 p.m. CT

• Thursday: Off-day

• Friday: vs. Cubs, 3:05 p.m. CT

• Saturday: vs. Cubs, 3:05 p.m. CT

Quotable

"We haven't had the discussion yet, but I doubt it. We have confidence in the kid and if you do that, you take the confidence away from the kid. I'm not saying I won't do it. I will think about it." --White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, on possibly skipping Brandon McCarthy for Sunday's series finale against the Cubs and pitching Garland on regular rest

:pray :pray :pray

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
Bull Durham quote:

It's a long season, and ya gotta trust it.

In just his 14th start of 2005, Jon Garland can match a win total that he took 33 starts to reach in 2004, 32 in 2003 and 33 to hit again in 2002.

But picking up victory No. 12, which would be a Major League high, doesn't seem to add any extra importance into this appearance for the right-hander.

Yeah, watch him win tonight and then go John Snyder on us.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 20, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
Bull Durham quote:

I love the clche's and they are so true!

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 12:06 PM)
Greinke is usually solid verses us, but look at the offense he's had behind him and you see the 1-7 record.. This might turn out to be a good pitchers duel

I think that his 5.97 ERA hasn't helped out his offense much either.