Time to make a deal for a 5th starter?

BigSqwert

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
Imagine if JR would have sprung for Clement instead of El Duque...

When Matt Clement was interviewed when he came back into town for the Boston/Cubs showdown, he said that the Sox made a very comparable offer to what boston was offering, and it came down to going with the World Champs or staying in Chicago. I cant fault him for taking a little more money and going to a recent world champion.

Edited by kyyle23

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:35 AM)
Somebody mentioned on WSCR the thought of trying to move Cotts to fill the spot.  I've gone back and forth on this one, but I think in the end it would be a mistake.  When we tried starting him last year, it really seemed to screw him up for the rest of the year.

I say just take our lumps with Mac now.  Even if he can't help us in 2005, it may pay some good dividends for us down the road.

Cotts is a two-pitch pitcher, and you don't find too many starters that only throw 2 pitches.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:17 AM)
Imagine if JR would have sprung for Clement instead of El Duque...

Then there would be no AJ or Gooch, I think. The amount of money saved by not signing him allowed KW to fill more holes.

Edited by Iguana

QUOTE(ZeroHour @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:21 AM)
How soon we forget that Duke 5th and BMac 6th is the best 5/6 weve had in a long long time and better than some 3/4s of the past.

Lately Hernandez and McCarthy have been doing their best Felix Diaz imitation. This White Sox team has the best chance to do something really special since the 83 team. Another SP may very well be in order. I think Hernandez is one big injury away from retirement and McCarthy is at best a AAA pitcher right now. That's giving him the benefit of the doubt as his AAA stats this year are lousy.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:12 AM)
I agree with Richie Allen, I think if Kdub deals for a starter it will be a top tier pitcher.  If he can't get something done without giving up anyone off of our 25 man (minus Willie or Ozuna), I would love to see him go after Casey Fossum from TB.  This guy is relatively cheap (around $1M) and is pitching very well this season.  He'd be a great stopgap while allowing the duke to rest.

Fossum was the exact guy that came to mind last night when I was pining over the situation. :P

Lately Hernandez and McCarthy have been doing their best Felix Diaz imitation. This White Sox team has the best chance to do something really special since the 83 team. Another SP may very well be in order. I think Hernandez is one big injury away from retirement and McCarthy is at best a AAA pitcher right now. That's giving him the benefit of the doubt as his AAA stats this year are lousy.

Totally agree, I think you nail it on the head.

Lots of teams will want starting pitching over the next several weeks, the bidding could get intense.

I would have to say you go out and get another starter.....someone who can go 6 innings, your killing 2 birds with one stone geting BP help from Duque and a guy that can eat up some innings......If JR and KW want to go all the way something is going to happen, I just have a feeling the arms need a little tweaking to take us deep in the post season......

I hope KW has talk to Houston if the Astroas are thinking about trading Oswalt and Lidge both of those players would be huge pickups for the Sox.

If somehow KW was to get Oswalt we would have the most deadly 1-4 pitching staff for many years and if we can get Lidge he would be our closer for many years to come..

Edited by Southside hitmen

No. The answer is no. We do not need the 5th starter for the post season. It would be pointless to pay a high price for such a starter to try & secure home field advantage in the AL.

Buerhle, Garcia, Garland, & Contreras are the play off rotation right now.

Any starter you trade for better be pitching as good or better as these 4.

We need a replacement for Luis in the pen more than we need another starter.

QUOTE(Iguana @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Then there would be no AJ or Gooch, I think.  The amount of money saved by not signing him allowed KW to fill more holes.

Well in theory yes, which is why I said "imagine if JR sprung..." JR could have spent the few extra millions. It was his choice. All I said was imagine if he spent those, that's all...

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
No.  The answer is no.  We do not need the 5th starter for the post season.  It would be pointless to pay a high price for such a starter to try & secure home field advantage in the AL.

We don't need a 5th starter we need another starter that can fill innings......by doing this you also replace Luis in the pen

thought this would be a good thread to start since there are a ton of trade rumors out there right now. Including:

Astros Give: Andy Pettitte

Orioles Give: Jay Gibbons, Jorge Julio

In this thread you can post a rumor you heard or found, and others can comment on the rumor. Please post your rumors in the above form so that all the posts are easier to read. Hope you like this thread, and I'll get it started with:

Astros Give: Andy Pettitte

Orioles Give: Jay Gibbons, Jorge Julio

Really I don't think this trade would do any good for the 'Stros. Jay Gibbons isn't the best outfielder available (which the Astros would need). Jorge Julio I think is definately the best part of this deal. He would be the ideal setup man for Brad Lidge, although I would like the Astros to aquire a younger guy, such as a Huston Street kind of guy, maybe even a AAA player that could step in and make an impact. Other than that, this trade is bad for the 'Stros, especially after what we saw from Pettitte tonight, even if it was against the Rockies.

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
I read on the Astros board that Andy Pettitte is on the trading block. What would it take to get Pettitte

He probably has a no-trade clause, and he is making 8.5 million this year. he wouldnt be cheap, thats for sure.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
No.  The answer is no.  We do not need the 5th starter for the post season.  It would be pointless to pay a high price for such a starter to try & secure home field advantage in the AL.

I agree with everything except the post-season rotation. One of the main reasons the Sox picked up El Duque was for his post-season success. El Duque will definitely be pitching in the playoffs.

I really don't think making a move for another starting pitcher is the right answer. The guys that are likely to be available are mostly mediocre (think Kris Benson types) and will cost a lot more than they should. Very few top level pitchers get dealt at the deadline, and I doubt that this year will be any different.

Even assuming the Astros start dealing guys, I don't see why they'd deal Oswalt or Lidge. Both are still pretty cheap and are effective, and I find it highly unlikely that they would get decent value for them. I also have a hard time seeing Pettitte moving because of his massive contract. As for Clemens, it seems like the only way he goes anywhere is if he demands to be traded. This team isn't exactly strapped for cash, so I doubt they'd make too many moves. They just signed large deals for Pettitte and Berkman, plus they will get a lot of relief once Clemens and Bagwell come off the books.

Zito might be another story, but he's probably the best guy that will be available (Beane said he wouldn't trade him, but we can't really say that for sure). Another intriguing name is Jason Schmidt. It's conceivable that he could be moved since the Giants are pretty bad, he's struggling, and his contract is huge. But again, San Fran isn't a cash strapped mid-market team. All of the teams that are definitely out of it and would likely to make moves are relatively pitching strapped, which is the main reason they are out of it in the first place. Because of that, trying to find a dependable bullpen arm would make more sense, perhaps someone with starting experience that fill in for El Duque on occasion.

Also, I'd rather not mess with Cotts at this point. He has been very effective in the pen as of late. Plus because he's been a reliever all year he probably wouldn't go more than 5 innings for a while until he got stretched out. That seems grossly counter productive, and I doubt too many lefties with an ERA around two will be readily available. You'd probably be adding a less effective reliever, taking one of the most reliable guys we have out of the pen, and putting more pressure on that pen in what will probably be a shorter start.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
Duque will be the guy, book it. 

I think Oz will rest him here and there so that he can go late into the season. I expect B-Mac to get spot starts against the teams we should beat like KC., TB, Detroit, Seattle etc.

I'd rather see us go after a bullpen guy. Package up all the dead weight in the minors (Borchard and the merry-go-round of 5th starters from last year) and get ONE solid bullpen arm.

:notworthy :notworthy

Couldn't say it better myself.

The problem with the grand scheme of getting Guardado from Sea is that they are playing .500 at home, .500 in their last 10, 7.5 gb in the WC, & 8.5 gb in the div.

Pitching wise their 17th in MLB & hitting wise their a woeful 28th. If they think their bats are coming around they could be buyers instead of sellers. It's probably to early for them to consider trading yet.