Time to make a deal for a 5th starter?

BigSqwert

The fact of the matter was El Duque rested the last month or so of last season, and the off season and lasted about a third of the season before his shoulder tired again. How long a rest would be required for him to finish the season and be able to pitch in the playoffs? I would think at least 2 months. August is going to be a tough month schedule-wise. I think BMac could very well be the man, but I'd give him a very short leash, and if he can't get the job done, I would overpay if I had to for a stud starter, and take my chances.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trade BMac for Roger Clemens.

If the Astros' scouts are as high on BMac as the Sox are, they would do it. They're not going anywhere this year, and Clemens is costing them a ton of money they could use to rebuild. Oswalt and BMac would give them two aces in their rotation for years to come (again assuming they see what the Sox see in BMac).

Clemens would give the Sox the best rotation around. For those who say we don't need another starter, what happens if Buehrle, Garcia, or Garland go down? If the Sox believe this is THE year, they should try to get Clemens.

Although Clemens costs a lot of money, he is one of the few pitchers around that put asses in the seats. With the buzz created by Clemen's acquisition, the Sox would increase attendence by a significant amount, paying for Clemens' salary.

I heard Clemens has stated he would not be interested in being traded to anyone other than maybe the Yankees or Rangers. But I believe under the present circumstances, he would consider pitching for the team with the best record in baseball.

Of course this is probably just a pipe dream, but the more I think of it, the more this has KW written all over it.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

I have to admit if Zito is available I'm interested. The 2002 AL Cy Young winner has been asked to front that rotation & hasn't done as well as expected but for 3 straight years he's pitched his best ball in the 2nd half.

Good: .690 OOP, .234BAA, Bad: 4.66ERA, 40W

I believe he would do much bettter as a #3 for the White Sox. This should help the whole rotation as well with a finesse-LHP being slotted between power-RHP in Garcia & Contreras.

As for the post, he's got success there as well. Not El Duque success but we can't all play for the NYY$ & got those kind of opps.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:19 PM)

If the Astros' scouts are as high on BMac as the Sox are, they would do it.  They're not going anywhere this year, and Clemens is costing them a ton of money they could use to rebuild.  Oswalt and BMac would give them two aces in their rotation for years to come (again assuming they see what the Sox see in BMac).

Clemens would give the Sox the best rotation around.  For those who say we don't need another starter, what happens if Buehrle, Garcia, or Garland go down?  If the Sox believe this is THE year, they should try to get Clemens.

Although Clemens costs a lot of money, he is one of the few pitchers around that put asses in the seats.  With the buzz created by Clemen's acquisition, the Sox would increase attendence by a significant amount, paying for Clemens' salary.

I heard Clemens has stated he would not be interested in being traded to anyone other than maybe the Yankees or Rangers.  But I believe under the present circumstances, he would consider pitching for the team with the best record in baseball.

Of course this is probably just a pipe dream, but the more I think of it, the more this has KW written all over it.

Why would we trade a guy who could be around for 10-15 years to get a guy who has about 1-2 left in him. I just don't see why this would make sense.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:19 PM)

If the Astros' scouts are as high on BMac as the Sox are, they would do it.  They're not going anywhere this year, and Clemens is costing them a ton of money they could use to rebuild.  Oswalt and BMac would give them two aces in their rotation for years to come (again assuming they see what the Sox see in BMac).

Clemens would give the Sox the best rotation around.  For those who say we don't need another starter, what happens if Buehrle, Garcia, or Garland go down?  If the Sox believe this is THE year, they should try to get Clemens.

Although Clemens costs a lot of money, he is one of the few pitchers around that put asses in the seats.  With the buzz created by Clemen's acquisition, the Sox would increase attendence by a significant amount, paying for Clemens' salary.

I heard Clemens has stated he would not be interested in being traded to anyone other than maybe the Yankees or Rangers.  But I believe under the present circumstances, he would consider pitching for the team with the best record in baseball.

Roger Clemens isn't even the best choice on the Astros IMO. Roy Oswalt and Andy Pettite are much younger and might give you more than a rental player, and they're not going to cost nearly as much money.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Roger Clemens isn't even the best choice on the Astros IMO. Roy Oswalt and Andy Pettite are much younger and might give you more than a rental player, and they're not going to cost nearly as much money.

i would like getting brandon backe as a fifth starter/long relief, he has some major potential, get him along with mike lamb :rolly

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
I think San Fran will be asking top dollar for Schmidt based on past performance, and if the Sox are going to pay top dollar for a starter, I'd prefer it to be Roy Oswalt.

The Astros would ask for top dollar for Oswalt too.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
I think San Fran will be asking top dollar for Schmidt based on past performance, and if the Sox are going to pay top dollar for a starter, I'd prefer it to be Roy Oswalt.

If the sox got Roy Oswalt I would poop in my pants, same as if they got Chavez. Oswalt would give us a ridiculous rotation

1.Oswalt

2. MB

3. Freddy

4.Garland

5. Contreras

Jesus

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
i dont think we are going to be getting an ace pitcher even though there are a handful out there who we could get, i picture a low profile guy like brandon backe or kip wells, or maybe eric milton

Is eric milton the king of letting homeruns up? Or is that somebody else.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)
i dont think we are going to be getting an ace pitcher even though there are a handful out there who we could get, i picture a low profile guy like brandon backe or kip wells, or maybe eric milton

Why the Hell would we want to stick Eric Milton, a guy who can't keep the ball in the park in Cincinnati, into the Cell against DHs?

If the sox got Roy Oswalt I would poop in my pants,

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
If the sox got Roy Oswalt I would poop in my pants, same as if they got Chavez.  Oswalt would give us a ridiculous rotation

1.Oswalt

2. MB

3. Freddy

4.Garland

5. Contreras

Jesus

:lolhitting I would run the streets naked.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)
much better, you cant screw up a rotation that works, and if we do get him keep him in duques spot

No way, you would put Oswalt in the first three at least. It he was #1 you could go righty, lefty, righty, sinkerballer, Cuban/

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:50 PM)
No way, you would put Oswalt in the first three at least.  It he was #1 you could go righty, lefty, righty, sinkerballer, Cuban/

Let me get this straight, MB-FG-Garland-Contreras-Oswalt or Oswalt-MB-FG-Garland-Contreras...What's the difference??? Unless this is the playoff rotation, then there is no difference...

And if it is the playoff rotation Oswalt is in the 1st or 2nd spot...