Time to make a deal for a 5th starter?

BigSqwert

Ok back to reality for a moment......

I'll throw a name out that's an excellent fit for what we are looking for in a starter, Jamie Moyer.

Now there is the issue of his no trade clause, but given this is his last yr and if we are the mortal locks for a playoff spot that we should/could be come the last week of July he may be tempted into a 3 month "vacation" for a run at going out a winner. It's also pretty reasonable to assume that the M's would be reasonable in accomodating him.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 08:31 AM)
Ok back to reality for a moment......

I'll throw a name out that's an excellent fit for what we are looking for in a starter, Jamie Moyer.

Now there is the issue of his no trade clause, but given this is his last yr and if we are the mortal locks for a playoff spot that we should/could be come the last week of July he may be tempted into a 3 month "vacation" for a run at going out a winner. It's also pretty reasonable to assume that the M's would be reasonable in accomodating him.

You know what...that's one I almost might agree with. Veteran guy, playoff experience...price might not be too bloody extreme like it would be with a guy like Clemens or Oswalt.

I'm going to take a few hits for this.

I'm not sure if McCarthy is all what he's made out to be. He's not the next All-Star pitcher like everyone wants to think. I'd think it would be very smart to trade him and Crede...and get someone like a Chavez and a Zito.

I just think for the older fans, they want to win now, and not later. And yes, in the stretch run, McCarthy could be good, but I think you could build this team up with a few trades.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
I'm going to take a few hits for this.

I'm not sure if McCarthy is all what he's made out to be. He's not the next All-Star pitcher like everyone wants to think. I'd think it would be very smart to trade him and Crede...and get someone like a Chavez and a Zito.

I just think for the older fans, they want to win now, and not later. And yes, in the stretch run, McCarthy could be good, but I think you could build this team up with a few trades.

No way Oakland would make that deal. No way Chavez is coming here. And sweet Jesus Zito is about the last pitcher on the trading block that I'd ever want to acquire. I don't want guys who have recently taken dramatic drops in performance. Especially for a stretch run.

Just remember this...Crede's numbers in June are .315, .383, .593. That's not terrible, and in fact it's quite good. He had a terrible May, but his numbers in April and June are both solid.

Another thing to consider is the Sox might want a guy who is all purpose, meaning a guy who can spot start if necessary, and be an extra arm in the pen.

Interesting to note that KW has long had an interest in Miguel Bautista of the Blue Jays. He might fit. He's a veteran and shouldn't cost a whole lot. I'm sure there are other possibilities, he's a name that came to mind.

I like the Moyer idea too, that's been floated around here before. He might be enticed to drop the no trade for a 3 month stint.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
Reading this thread you can't help but get a picture of the Astros being left for dead in the dessert with a swarm of vultures hovering over them. 

mmmmmm....dessert....

Edited by knightni

I'm hearing and seeing all these rumors and here is my imput on them:

Roger Clemens will be traded- But probably to Texas or back to the Yankees.

Barry Zito isn't going anywhere either- Beane said himself.

Roy Oswalt- I just don't see the Astros trading him (pending on his contract status?) He is still young and is arguably the best pitcher in the NL. If the Astros do trade him- they would want more than prospects in return- and there is talk that they would ask for Aaron Rowand to be part of that package. I don't see KW making a move like that.

Andy Pettite- I expect him to be traded to Baltamore.

Jason Schmidt- This is a guy I can see KW going out and getting if El-duque continues with his arm problems. (anyone know his contract status?)

Kip Wells- Another possible move KW can make. He would come cheap and has had alot of starts for Pittsburgh- he has proven to be a decent starter, would fit in just fine as our #5.

If El-duque comes back healthy- I see KW adding 1 or 2 arms for the pen and thats it.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
I'm hearing and seeing all these rumors and here is my imput on them:

Roger Clemens will be traded- But probably to Texas or back to the Yankees.

Barry Zito isn't going anywhere either- Beane said himself.

Roy Oswalt- I just don't see the Astros trading him (pending on his contract status?) He is still young and is arguably the best pitcher in the NL. If the Astros do trade him- they would want more than prospects in return- and there is talk that they would ask for Aaron Rowand to be part of that package. I don't see KW making a move like that.

Andy Pettite- I expect him to be traded to Baltamore.

Jason Schmidt- This is a guy I can see KW going out and getting if El-duque continues with his arm problems. (anyone know his contract status?)

Kip Wells- Another possible move KW can make. He would come cheap and has had alot of starts for Pittsburgh- he has proven to be a decent starter, would fit in just fine as our #5.

If El-duque comes back healthy- I see KW adding 1 or 2 arms for the pen and thats it.

That's a pretty good list.

I'd say Oswalt will not be traded. Schmidt is having an awful year, you have to wonder if moving to a contender is going to help him right himself. How is Pettite any better than Duque? Wells is alright, but not too great.

On your list, I think Zito is the most likely to actually get traded.

Another name nobody is mentioning is Derrek Lowe. With the Dodgers losing Gagne and quickly falling off the edge of baseball, I think they might quickly find themselves in the market for some new blood for next year.

QUOTE(ZeroHour @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
I will go without "the Derek Lowe face" thank you very much.

Schmidt is an idea, i think hes making 8-9 this year and next.

hes a possibility but probably costs way too much, aint happening

I could be wrong, but the way that I figured it out we really only need a 5th starter for about 13 or so games the rest of the year. 3 times in July, 4 in Aug, 4 in Sept and 1 in Oct. That is if Ozzie uses every off day to skip the spot in the rotation. The rest of the starters would still go on normal rest, so it shouldn't mess them up either.

Has Ted Lilly's name come up during this thread? I started a new thread where the Sox were looking at Lilly this Monday vs Balt [with a link from the Toronto sun]

It would seem the sox brass is looking for a 5th starter as well. No sense throwing BMac out there in the midst of a pennant race when the sox could get a "battle tested veteran" who could be the 5th SP or go to the pen if El Duque is healthy.