54 W. Hubbard, Chicago, Ill.

LosMediasBlancas

Does this address mean anything to anyone?

It's a historic landmark courthouse building downtown. Anyway, one of our clients has an office in that building. Today, I happen to look at one of the plaques on their wall and I notice it was where the Black Sox trial was held. I've been there hundreds of times and never knew that.

They also lynched people there and the tenants claim it's haunted.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 01:28 PM)

It's a historic landmark courthouse building downtown.  Anyway, one of our clients has an office in that building.  Today, I happen to look at one of the plaques on their wall and I notice it was where the Black Sox trial was held. I've been there hundreds of times and never knew that.

If its haunted, my guess is that its haunted by the people who were lynched.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)

It's a historic landmark courthouse building downtown.  Anyway, one of our clients has an office in that building.  Today, I happen to look at one of the plaques on their wall and I notice it was where the Black Sox trial was held. I've been there hundreds of times and never knew that.

I know they hanged people there, but I didn't hear that they lynched anyone. Could have happened, I guess.

My ex-wife used to work in that building. It's very creepy at night. But a real cool building. They used to say all of the things Medias says, but also, some other things. They have a staircase that goes around the elevator, so you can't see around corners and I've heard people see a woman in early 20th Century garb going around the next corner. When they get to the next floor, there's no one there.

And they used to hang people behind the courthouse where the fire station is now.

All I know is I used to get drunk on the fifth floor and smoke with one of the enormous windows open. Beautiful building, inside and out.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
My ex-wife used to work in that building.  It's very creepy at night.  But a real cool building.  They used to say all of the things Medias says, but also, some other things.  They have a staircase that goes around the elevator, so you can't see around corners and I've heard people see a woman in early 20th Century garb going around the next corner.  When they get to the next floor, there's no one there. 

And they used to hang people behind the courthouse where the fire station is now. 

All I know is I used to get drunk on the fifth floor and smoke with one of the enormous windows open.  Beautiful building, inside and out.

It is an awesome building, truly a piece of history. If you guys get a chance, check it out. You can take a pic of the plaque since it's on the outside of the building.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
It's hung, but i'm not the grammar police.

usage For both transitive and intransitive senses 1b the past and past participle hung, as well as hanged, is standard. Hanged is most appropriate for official executions but hung is also used . Hung is more appropriate for less formal hangings .

QUOTE(zach61 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
usage For both transitive and intransitive senses 1b the past and past participle hung, as well as hanged, is standard. Hanged is most appropriate for official executions but hung is also used . Hung is more appropriate for less formal hangings .

But it was in a past tense as in " That is where they hung people".

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
courthouse1.gif

Love that old stone!  Man I miss old school Chicago architecture.

Truly amazing, with great history.

After I read the plaque, I went back inside and I got goosebumps just thinking about the Black Sox having been on trial in the same building where I was standing.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:01 PM)
Truly amazing, with great history.

After I read the plaque, I went back inside and I got goosebumps just thinking about the Black Sox having been on trial in the same building where I was standing.

The fifth floor (I think) is where my ex used to work and they modernized the interior (it's a post production house where they edit commercials and the like)...it's awesome the way it looks inside and what they did. I always wanted to work there. But, alas, they didn't want me. It's worth it just to meander around that floor...if they'll let you, that is..... :)

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 02:08 PM)
pffff haunted houses and crap like that are so over-rated..... you have to be extremely gullible to believe in all of that crap.....

Not really. I was talking to my neighbors one nite while I was walking my dog and they asked why I was standing in my backyard earlier in the week with a rain suit on. I laughed and told them they just saw our ghost. The new owners of the house next door also saw that figure in our backyard and he actually stopped staying there because he keeps seeing a woman in their house. I was laughing at him 1 nite over the winter cause his van got stuck in the back of the house and he couldn't get out, so he had to sleep there that nite. He kept walking from room to room telling the woman ghost that he meant no harm and was remodeling the house to make it more comfortable for her too. I also used to have friends of mine stay in my house to watch my dog when I went on vacation, and they all complained about some guy in a rain suit standing in the doorway while they were sleeping. Quite a few people actually saw my ghost and think that I'm doing something and don't believe it's a ghost.