ESPN v. White Sox

Steve9347

since the other thread is only about Jayson Stark, and I have no beef with him, I started a new thread.

One funny thing to note about their coverage is how much ESPN doesn't even try to hide their hatred of the White Sox. Perhaps hatred is too strong a word, but they obviously do not enjoy covering our pale stockings. ESPN is very set on their coverage of Yankees/Red Sox, and anything else is a threat to them.

They have adopted the Cubs as the bearable team from Chicago (and the central region of the United States for that matter), but they can't handle the White Sox.

Just look at these examples from the season.

1) Jeff Brantley (I think) from ESPN berrates Ozzie for his use of his bullpen during a game in which the White Sox lose. He went off, and basically made Ozzie seem like an idiot (meanwhile we had the best record in baseball. This is never done on ESPN, yet the only time it is done is to ridicule the manager of the best team in baseball? I'm sure Dusty Baker has done a few more questionable things this season.

2) ESPN the Magazine, to which I recently unsubscribed, has written articles about the Orioles and the Dodgers for their fast starts, all the while the Sox have had the best record, and look at what happened to the Dodgers. They also had a huge story about the poor Cubs, and their curses (with a half page insert about the White Sox.)

3) They make a huge deal about "Umpire Mistakes" only after the game in which they televised involved an umpire mistake which let Scott Podsednik safely into first base.

4) They have the Washington Nationals as the number one team in the power rankings (eastern team), compared to two central teams that have the top records in baseball (White Sox/ Cardinals)

5) During Sunday night's game on ESPN, though the White Sox were the team being televised, they had a special about some country singer and his love for the LA Dodgers, whom the Sox were playing, and then a 5-minute documentary on the CUBS! THE CUBS?? WHAT THE HELL??

It's never going to end, and I don't care if it does, because it is funny.

PS I noticed something else that was funny. Last night, their was a little intro to the Cardinals highlights by Linda Cohn. I found it odd that she led into it with "Watch out baseball world, because there is a surprise team that just might be a contender... the St. Louis Cardinals." Did I miss something? Haven't the Cardinals had one of the best records all year? Didn't they go to the World Series last year? Didn't they add Mark Mulder in the off-season?

Oh, wait. ESPN wouldn't notice that. They are all Red Sawx and Yanks. :finger

:gosox1: :gosox2: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

I just looked at their power rankings and I'm not sure how they can put washington as #1.. Yeah espn does seem to underappreciate the record of the sox. I am sick and tired of the yanks and bosox.., but what can you do?

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 02:19 PM)
I just looked at their power rankings and I'm not sure how they can put washington as #1.. Yeah espn does seem to underappreciate the record of the sox. I am sick and tired of the yanks and bosox.., but what can you do?

ESPN's power rankings seem to pick whoever is the hottest good team at the time. When the Sox were 5-5 in 1 ten game stretch, the Cards took over the top spot.

If nothing else...remember, the ESPN Interactive power rankings poll has never had the Sox anywhere but the top spot since the Dodgers streak to start the y ear ended.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
My point wasn't that I wanted more coverage of the White Sox, but rather, less negative coverage.

It seems like ESPN can't avoid ripping every single thing that goes wrong at the Cell.

Understood, but thats not going to be the case. We are the team that people love to hate. We are the fans that get no respect. We are the team that is going to have to prove we are good. And thats fine, no coverage is better than what they are doing now. The cubs will be the loveable team until they blow up even more than they are now. When they flop, and the fans start bailing, then you will see an interest. We are the best team in baseball, nobody likes us because of that. f*** em

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
Understood, but thats not going to be the case.  We are the team that people love to hate.  We are the fans that get no respect.  We are the team that is going to have to prove we are good.  And thats fine, no coverage is better than what they are doing now.  The cubs will be the loveable team until they blow up even more than they are now.  When they flop, and the fans start bailing, then you will see an interest.  We are the best team in baseball, nobody likes us because of that.  f*** em

It worked for Detroit last year in the NBA.

Most of this re-hash of other threads, but I have to admit I think STL might get less respect from the media than the White Sox. If that's even possible.

Seriously, if the White Sox had gone to the World Series last year & lost to anybody the media would be swarming the Cell for interviews & what not given that the team has the best record in MLB. But just look at the lack of attention STL gets. The dominate the NL last year get beat by Boston in the WS but just trail the White Sox by a few games for the best record in MLB.

How many times are they even mentioned on Baseball Tonight?

It's clear as day that ESPN has their favorites:

AL: Yankees, RedSox NL: Dodgers, Cubs

- They enjoy talking about these teams. The rest of the coverage is because they have to.

Note: When the Yankees or Dodgers look weak their adopted teams are Baltimore & Washignton DC.

Thus is life when ESPN owns MLB (figuratively speaking)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
It worked for Detroit last year in the NBA.

Most of this re-hash of other threads, but I have to admit I think STL might get less respect from the media than the White Sox. If that's even possible.

Seriously, if the White Sox had gone to the World Series last year & lost to anybody the media would be swarming the Cell for interviews & what not given that the team has the best record in MLB. But just look at the lack of attention STL gets. The dominate the NL last year get beat by Boston in the WS but just trail the White Sox by a few games for the best record in MLB.

How many times are they even mentioned on Baseball Tonight?

AL: Yankees, RedSox NL: Dodgers, Cubs

- They enjoy talking about these teams. The rest of the coverage is because they have to.

Note: When the Yankees or Dodgers look weak their adopted teams are Baltimore & Washignton DC.

Don't forget that we need to hear about Barry Bonds every dam day, usually before we get to any game highlights!!!

Don't forget that we need to hear about Barry Bonds every dam day, usually before we get to any game highlights!!!

UGH, I heard about the Bonds update from Pedro Gomez about 5 times in a hour yesterday. Damn I wanted to kill him. :bringit

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)

AL: Yankees, RedSox  NL: Dodgers, Cubs 

- They enjoy talking about these teams.  The rest of the coverage is because they have to.

they are a national network. those are four biggest teams in the major markets. and i think people care more about the cubs nationally than they do the white sox. it's pointless to get upset about this, just like white sox attendance.

Edited by jerseysox

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:09 PM)
1) Jeff Brantley (I think) from ESPN berrates Ozzie for his use of his bullpen during a game in which the White Sox lose. He went off, and basically made Ozzie seem like an idiot (meanwhile we had the best record in baseball. This is never done on ESPN, yet the only time it is done is to ridicule the manager of the best team in baseball? I'm sure Dusty Baker has done a few more questionable things this season.

2) ESPN the Magazine, to which I recently unsubscribed, has written articles about the Orioles and the Dodgers for their fast starts, all the while the Sox have had the best record, and look at what happened to the Dodgers. They also had a huge story about the poor Cubs, and their curses (with a half page insert about the White Sox.)

3) They make a huge deal about "Umpire Mistakes" only after the game in which they televised involved an umpire mistake which let Scott Podsednik safely into first base.

4) They have the Washington Nationals as the number one team in the power rankings (eastern team), compared to two central teams that have the top records in baseball (White Sox/ Cardinals)

5) During Sunday night's game on ESPN, though the White Sox were the team being televised, they had a special about some country singer and his love for the LA Dodgers, whom the Sox were playing, and then a 5-minute documentary on the CUBS! THE CUBS?? WHAT THE HELL??

1) So? Everyone here was crucifying him, why can't ESPN?

2) White Sox don't sell magazines.

3) It was a huge bluff by that ump. Everyone in the world knew he was out.

4) Power rankings aren't records. Power rankings are weekly for the best teams of the week. We got smashed by 'Zona 2 games and our pitching has not bee good. Why should we be number 1, cause we sweep an injury ridden team?

5) Unless you are blind/deaf tehey also did a special on the Sox.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)

I was flipping to the basketblal game when they had that toby keith crap on, and the funniest thing about it was I flipped back and they had a TIMO clip in the music video or whatever..... I laughed my ass off

I thought this was funny listening on the radio yesterday- John Rooney kept mentioning how good of a team the Cardinals were and how lucky of a team the Sox were. All tongue in cheek, of course.

Edited by robinventura23

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 05:07 PM)
I thought this was funny listening on the radio yesterday-  John Rooney kept mentioning how good of a team the Cardinals were and how lucky of a team the Sox were.  All tongue in cheek, of course.

Why would he take a shot at the Cardinals? That doesn't make sense.

Obviously no one listened to Joe Morgan because I watched the replay yesterday and he was giving them mad love. People are overreacting big time. They've been giving fair coverage to the White Sox. And the White Sox didn't lose the game in which Hermy was up and Brantley said he should've been put in IIRC. And also, many people on here felt the same about Ozzie putting Hermy in as Brantley did. Some fans try to reach so much.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)
Obviously no one listened to Joe Morgan because I watched the replay yesterday and he was giving them mad love. People are overreacting big time. They've been giving fair coverage to the White Sox. And the White Sox didn't lose the game in which Hermy was up and Brantley said he should've been put in IIRC. And also, many people on here felt the same about Ozzie putting Hermy in as Brantley did. Some fans try to reach so much.

Good point...Joe was even saying that with our pitching staff, he didn't expect us to hit a major slump all year, and without that it'd be near impossible for anyone to catch us.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
Why would he take a shot at the Cardinals? That doesn't make sense.

He was showing the difference. Pretty much how all the other "experts" feel. He wasn't dissing the Cardinals at all.