Garland to start Sunday

KevHead0881

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
I just posted this in the McCarthy thread.

I hope the short rest won't affect Jon's effectiveness.

Jon will have the same amount of rest as always. We have an off day on Thursday, hence why they decided to skip McCarthy.

Edited by KevHead0881

Definitely a good move. Splits up the Cubans (bullpen relief). Plus, although I wouldn't worry so much about making sure our best are pitching against the Cubs, I would be a tad afraid of putting McCarthy in a big situation like that. He's been pretty shaky lately, and I don't want to see his confidence crushed.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
A lot of people are writing off Bmac already, theres a reason why this organization is so high on him even though he hasn't been performing well. I actually think Bmac can put it together, ST wasn't a fluke. He just needs to locate his pitches and relax.

I haven't heard a lot of people giving up on him. I, for one, think no less of him. I think the consensus around here is that he simply looks like he isn't ready. He needs to get a better commond on his offspeed stuff and needs to keep the ball down. This can be seen in the alarming rate at which he's given up homers down in Charlotte.

He'll be a good one. He just needs more time.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
Garland would only be getting 4 days rest(Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday). I don't like that at all. If you're not going to pitch BMac, send him down and bring up another pitcher. Our pitchers throw enough as it is.

Yeah, I hate it too. We should go to a 6 man rotation when we don't have an off-day every 7 days.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Garland would only be getting 4 days rest(Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday). I don't like that at all. If you're not going to pitch BMac, send him down and bring up another pitcher. Our pitchers throw enough as it is.

You realize 4 days rest is normal rest, don't you??

Until we need a 5th starter, just go with a 4 man rotation. We only require one more start from B-Mac before the all-star break. Here is how it breaks down.

June 21st - KC - Garland

June 22nd - KC - Buehrle

June 23rd - OFF

June 24th - Cubs - Garcia

June 25th - Cubs - Contreras

June 26th - Cubs - Garland

June 27th - OFF

June 28th - At Detroit - Buehrle

June 29th - At Detroit - Garcia

June 30th - At Detroit - Contreras

July 1st - At Oakland - Garland

July 2nd - At Oakland - McCarthy

July 3rd - At Oakland - Buehrle

July 4th - Tampa Bay - Garcia

July 5th - Tampa Bay - Contreras

July 6th - Tampa Bay - Garland

July 7th - OFF

July 8th - Oakland - Buehrle

July 9th - Oakland - Garcia

July 10th - Oakland - Conteras

ALL STAR BREAK

Everyone gets normal rest on this plan.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)

Um...pitchers get 4 days rest in 5 man rotations. All we are doing is passing up the 5th spot on an off day.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:23 PM)
I haven't heard a lot of people giving up on him.  I, for one, think no less of him.  I think the consensus around here is that he simply looks like he isn't ready.  He needs to get a better commond on his offspeed stuff and needs to keep the ball down.  This can be seen in the alarming rate at which he's given up homers down in Charlotte.

I've heard a ton of people around here giving up on him - saying we should trade him immediately because he'll never amount to anything or that ST was a fluke. I think those sorts of comments started immediately after the Texas game.

My thought is that he needs to work on throwing his changeup as a strike, to take more pressure off of his fastball and curveball. If he does that i think he'll be what we saw in ST again. But I've heard quite a few people who've already given up on him.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:27 PM)
Until we need a 5th starter, just go with a 4 man rotation.  We only require one more start from B-Mac before the all-star break.  Here is how it breaks down.

ALL STAR BREAK

Everyone gets normal rest on this plan.

I hated it when we did this last year. It worked for a time in May and early June, but by late June and July you could really see it wearing on our pitchers.

Guys like Buehrle don't like that extra day off because it throws off their schedule, but it at least shows up in the results. When we came into this season with 5 starters, I was hoping to God we wouldn't have to pitch Mr. Offday as our 5th starter more than 1 or 2 times this season, because it would really start to wear on our staff if we did.

It'd be an awful risk running with 4 starters until the AS Break. I promise you that. Especially if 2 or 3 of our guys end up being All Stars. Extra rest in June will translate to fresher pitchers come October.

I pride myself on being level-headed, realistic, and not making pronouncements like "This is the year!" or "so-and-so prospect is the future!", but even I see a lot of potential in Brandon.

What does it for me is that it doesn't seem the problem is with his stuff. It seems the problem is entirely something that can be coached away.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
I've heard a ton of people around here giving up on him - saying we should trade him immediately because he'll never amount to anything or that ST was a fluke.  I think those sorts of comments started immediately after the Texas game.

My thought is that he needs to work on throwing his changeup as a strike, to take more pressure off of his fastball and curveball.  If he does that i think he'll be what we saw in ST again.  But I've heard quite a few people who've already given up on him.

I've heard people give up on the whole team in the game threads. I don't take it too seriously. If people were quick enough to give up on BMac after a couple poor outings, then I don't think they were that high on him to begin with.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 06:30 PM)
I hated it when we did this last year.  It worked for a time in May and early June, but by late June and July you could really see it wearing on our pitchers.

Guys like Buehrle don't like that extra day off because it throws off their schedule, but it at least shows up in the results.  When we came into this season with 5 starters, I was hoping to God we wouldn't have to pitch Mr. Offday as our 5th starter more than 1 or 2 times this season, because it would really start to wear on our staff if we did.

It'd be an awful risk running with 4 starters until the AS Break.  I promise you that.  Especially if 2 or 3 of our guys end up being All Stars.  Extra rest in June will translate to fresher pitchers come October.

When we played games everyday there for about 2-3 weeks, everyone got 4 days rest.

This is not pitching anyone on short rest. To me, I don't see where it is risky.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
I've heard a ton of people around here giving up on him - saying we should trade him immediately because he'll never amount to anything or that ST was a fluke.  I think those sorts of comments started immediately after the Texas game.

My thought is that he needs to work on throwing his changeup as a strike, to take more pressure off of his fastball and curveball.  If he does that i think he'll be what we saw in ST again.  But I've heard quite a few people who've already given up on him.

I think all this kid needs is some mileage on him. Start him Monday v the Tigers. I think he will get better each time out.