Garland to start Sunday

KevHead0881

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
When we played games everyday there for about 2-3 weeks, everyone got 4 days rest.

This is not pitching anyone on short rest.  To me, I don't see where it is risky.

Because they all will be pitching in more games. If you did that for a whole season it would mean 40 starts each.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 05:33 PM)
When we played games everyday there for about 2-3 weeks, everyone got 4 days rest.

This is not pitching anyone on short rest.  To me, I don't see where it is risky.

i agree, not that i see it panned out i dont see why we couldnt do it

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
Because they all will be pitching in more games.  If you did that for a whole season it would mean 40 starts each.

Exactly my point.

The last thing we want is for Garcia or Contreras to hit a wall come September or October. Remember, if we go far into the playoffs, they'll probably push 40 starts anyway...there's no good reason to have them go 45.

Ozzie plays backups in 1 game out of every series anyway. BMAC won't do us nearly as much harm if he loses a few games as having Garcia or Contreras go down before the playoffs would.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 05:27 PM)
Um...pitchers get 4 days rest in 5 man rotations.  All we are doing is passing up the 5th spot on an off day.

I don't like doing that personally and I would like to keep our starters fresh for the stretch run. We've been on a similar plan the last 2 years. Garland's had a 5.00+ ERA in September both years and I still remember Loaiza's September struggles in '03.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 06:35 PM)
Exactly my point.

The last thing we want is for Garcia or Contreras to hit a wall come September or October.  Remember, if we go far into the playoffs, they'll probably push 40 starts anyway...there's no good reason to have them go 45.

Ozzie plays backups in 1 game out of every series anyway.  BMAC won't do us nearly as much harm if he loses a few games as having Garcia or Contreras go down before the playoffs would.

You guys are overstating it.

There's about 15 off days (not counting the ASB) during the season. that's 15 opportunities to skip the 5th starter, but that doesn't mean that the 5th starter disappears completely.

The 4 starters who are always on regular rest get about 3 extra starts per season, if that. 35 starts a piece * 4 = 140 starts. 22 starts left. The 5th starter is still gonna make about 25+ starts, so the others are going to have 35 or less starts. That's only if you do it all season.

We're already at game 70, still using the standard 5 man. Each guy has started 14 games. So if you skipped the 5th at every available opportunity for the rest of the season, you'd only add about 1 extra start to each of the top 4 guys. OH NOES!

Halladay is starting as often as possible.

Radke & Santana are starting as often as possible.

It just makes sense that you want your best pitchers pitching more often than your worst ones.

Garland starting on Sunday could be another reason Ozzie pulled him tonight. He gave him a chance at the complete game shutout and when it wasn't a shutout anymore, he pulled him with a 102 pitch count and 2 batters left to get out.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
No they don't. The Twins have used 5 starters even with days off. They had Monday off and started Lohse tonight.

Who, might I add, is complete s*** this year. Lohse is BAD right now.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
No they don't. The Twins have used 5 starters even with days off. They had Monday off and started Lohse tonight.

Johan santana has 15 starts....The twins have played 68 games. 14*5 = 70 -- Johan pitched number 15 two games ago, and he didn't start opening day. He was their second starter. He's got one extra start than if they stuck with a straight 5-man rotation. If they were going by straight 5-man rotation, he wouldn't be due to pitch #15 for another couple games.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
Johan santana has 15 starts....The twins have played 68 games. 14*5 = 70 -- Johan pitched number 15 two games ago, and he didn't start opening day. He was their second starter.  He's got one extra start than if they stuck with a straight 5-man rotation. If they were going by straight 5-man rotation, he wouldn't be due to pitch  #15 for another couple games.

Hmm. They might have gone with a 4-man + off-day rotation when Silva was on the DL in April.

I guess I'm ok with the current plan as long as El Duque is injured. But when he returns, I'd like for him to make as many starts as possible.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:31 PM)
I guess I'm ok with the current plan as long as El Duque is injured. But when he returns, I'd like for him to make as many starts as possible.

I want El Duque ready to start at exactly 2 times this season; August (our hardest stretch of the year)...and October.

That is when we need him. Maybe September as well if someone manages to make it a race. But we need him healthy and ready in August and in October. That is all. That is why he's here.