If Koch is hurt...

aboz56

if Koch goes down, which I feel is becoming more and more likely, I would split the duties between Marte and Glover and I think they would do fine, especially since Koch looks pretty bad right now.

the keys to the pen are whenever a guy is giong good, LEAVE HIM IN.  Gordon and White have been far too iffy this year to let them go one or two batters.  if Gordon is pitching good, like he did yesterday, keep him in and get the most out of him, cause you have no idea if keeping him ready for the next day will do any good. same goes for White.

If Koch goes down, it'll probably be when Wright is ready, so Koch goes on DL, Wright comes up and have either him or Stewart start with the other in the pen.  Glover and Marte share closer duties with Wunsch, White, Sanders and Gordon doing the rest.

glover is gonna close??...oh cmon..he's not going from mop up man to closer no matter how well he pitches...

its obvious who is gonna close if koch goes down

flash will close so marte can keep his set up job...marte will get a few opportunities here and there when we face some lefties in the 9th...

flash is a proven closer that has saved 40 games before...glover??

Again I agree with Baggio. If Koch goes down, Flash is the obvious closer.

Baseball is all about matchups, best pitcher you can throw against the bst hitters they can produce I got no problems with going with the pitcher who has the best hope of winning on a given day and that person is not Billy Botch every chance.

Defined roles?  Let's see here, they are all major league pitchers, so therefore their "defined role" should be that when they take the mound, they should get batters out.  That is all the defined role they need.

Thats not true at all. Employees, no matter what their level, all perform better when their roles are defined.

Defined roles?  Let's see here, they are all major league pitchers, so therefore their "defined role" should be that when they take the mound, they should get batters out.  That is all the defined role they need.

You obviously have never been part of a pitching staff.

The players themselves would prefer to have defined roles and a single closer. Unless, of course, you are the guy that isn't the closer and pines to be.

Players love to know their roles. They know what to prepare for in games, mentally and physically. Teams with "closer by committees" usually dont do well. As Molto said, in this day and age, closers have become as big a part of the game as anything.

As to who should be the closer, I would go with Flash. When he has his stuff, he can really bring it. Marte seems like the perfect setup man and he should keep that job.