Is Anyone else watching the Yanks vs. Rays?

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
LOL, D-Rays fans at their MLB.com message board seem to think Piniella sabotaged the game on purpose to get back at management.  They think he told Travis Harper to throw BP to the Yankees. :lol:

Seriously I would not be surprised ........ :huh:

From a D-RAY fan at the mlb board

Well, let's see the score is 11-9, Nunez needs one out to get the hold the lead Matsui is up ...why did Braindead Lou put in Harper - all he was giving up was singles...then why would you intentially walk Giambi who is hitting less than his weight?

What a waste of 11 runs...Lou has to go...Harper looked like once the game was out of hand he was throwing batting practice on purpose. Not that I blame him, because it was real silly for him to even be in the game...

It just shows you how bad a manager Lou is, how horrendous a pitching coach Hernandez is and how the whole team simply dosen't care....

Lou has to go and all his coaches with him...then with the new guy we give the team a week to shape up or it's adios.

Now I have to watch baeball tonight and sports center to hear all the excuses...

ESPN is running a whole "Outside the Lines" story about the Devil Rays, owner Vince Naimoli, and Lou Piniella. They are talking about why the team is still so horrible today. Mainly because Naimoli refuses to spend any money on the team.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
ESPN is running a whole "Outside the Lines" story about the Devil Rays, owner Vince Naimoli, and Lou Piniella.  They are talking about why the team is still so horrible today.  Mainly because Naimoli refuses to spend any money on the team.

Saw it a few weeks ago. Honeslty...I don't think I can blame Naimoli for what he and his partners are doing.

They're making money hand over fist. They're the 2nd most profitable team in the big leagues, if I remember correct. They get almost enough money in luxury tax revenues to cover their entire payroll, so their concessions, parking, ticket sales, merch, etc. is all profit.

Think about this...the Devil Rays are in a division with Boston and New York, who between them have a payroll more than 10x that of the Devil Rays. And on top of that, they have a decent team in Baltimore, and a team that's committed to spend about $150 million in payroll the next 2 years in Toronto.

For them to even match Baltimore or Toronto, they would have to more than double their payroll. If they did that, it would significantly cut into their profit margin, and more importantly, it still wouldn't get them a postseason birth.

That team is in the single worst possible situation in the league. They are the smallest market in the big market AL East. If they spend more money, it won't make them a playoff team; Boston and N.Y. will still outspend them or buy whatever they need to win.

There is absolutely no incentive for the Tampa Bay ownership to spend more money. In their situation...I would probably do the exact same thing. If they spend more money on the team...they'll just reduce the profit margin, and they won't get nearly enough wins out of it.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 12:32 AM)
The MLB needs to move the Devil Rays to a less competitive division, like the N.L. Central. :lolhitting

Seriously...it's either they do something like that...where they put them in a division that actually gives them a chance to build (i.e. the Pirates and Brewers), or MLB accepts a meaningful luxury tax that actually restricts the Yankees & gives the rest of the league a shot.

Those are the only 2 things that will ever make the franchise in Tampa bay into a winner.

If Tampa Bay went out & spent $10 million more on players, they probably still wouldn't have a winning record, still wouldn't have a shot at the wild card or the division, and they wouldn't attract enough fans to make up for the money they spent. The single most profitable thing they can do is exactly what they're doing right now.