McCarthy out of rotation; to bullpen as swingman

Jabroni

ESPN 1000's Bruce LeVineLine just reported that Brandon McCarthy will be out of the rotation with the off-days coming up and into the bullpen as our new swingman a la Glendon Rusch. He will long relieve and spot start when we need a 5th starter. LeVineLine got this information from an interview with Ozzie.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
If McCarthy does succeed out of the bullpen, we could see the end of Vizcaino.

One of Viz or Shingo should be down in AAA anyways and Jeff Bajenaru taking over their role, but hey what do I know. :huh:

One of Viz or Shingo should be down in AAA anyways and Jeff Bajenaru taking over their role, but hey what do I know.  :huh:

Well, it looks like they may decide to keep McCarthy here for the rest of the year. Emphasis on "may", but when El Duque is activated it could bump Vizcaino or Shingo off the roster.

It comes down to who do you want as your 10th and 11th pitcher ... McCarthy, Vizcaino, Shingo? They can only keep 2 of the 3.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
I dont like this move. 3 starts isnt enough to see how good someone is. Keep him starting untill el duque gets back then put him in the minors. Next year or the year after that try him at starting again.

Iagree 3 starts isn't enough, however sometimes that is all the schedule allows.

With the off days, the rest of the starters can stay in their usual rhythm. Why throw them off to try and nurture a 5th starter? That would be the tail wagging the dog.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
Iagree 3 starts isn't enough, however sometimes that is all the schedule allows.

With the off days, the rest of the starters can stay in their usual rhythm. Why throw them off to try and nurture a 5th starter? That would be the tail wagging the dog.

I agree but i think Bmac needs to start in the minors then. Bmac isnt going to get any expiernce pitching every once and awhile in a situation where you need a long realiver.

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
I agree but i think Bmac needs to start in the minors then. Bmac isnt going to get any expiernce pitching every once and awhile in a situation where you need a long realiver.

I could agree to that.

i'm gonna agree w/ some of the posters and say keep bmac in the minors. The only way he's going to get better is by regular pitching.

We're not going to need a 5th starter for awhile anyway IIRC

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Stuck in the middle: If Brandon McCarthy takes to the mound this weekend during the crosstown Cubs' series, it probably won't be a good sign for the White Sox rotation. After seeing a pitching alignment that would leave seven days in between starts for Jon Garland, Mark Buehrle and Freddy Garcia, Guillen sounded Tuesday as if he were leaning toward skipping McCarthy's next start all together and going with Garland in Sunday's series finale.

The original notion being discussed involved pitching Garland on regular rest against the Cubs, and moving McCarthy back to the ensuing series in Detroit. But that change still would leave Buehrle and Garcia with too long of a break, factoring in Monday's off-day.

McCarthy, who allowed six runs on seven hits over 4 2/3 innings Monday, will work in middle relief and wouldn't start again until either July 1 or 2 in Oakland. That start could be his only one before the All-Star break, with another off day coming on June 7.

Guillen also mentioned that McCarthy needs to command more than his fastball in order to be successful at the Major League level, especially with the right-hander not possessing a fastball in the mid-90s. McCarthy understands it's about believing in his own ability and being ready to go when the White Sox need him, even if it's his first relief appearance since pitching with Rookie League Great Falls in 2003.

"It all goes back to trusting my stuff," McCarthy said of finding success. "If you trust your stuff, then there's nothing left to do after that."

This looks like it will work out great except for the fact that McCarthy's one start will be at Oakland where we play like s***.