McCarthy out of rotation; to bullpen as swingman

Jabroni

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 08:11 PM)
I agree but i think Bmac needs to start in the minors then. Bmac isnt going to get any expiernce pitching every once and awhile in a situation where you need a long realiver.

I disagree. I think he should be given his next start, then put him in the pen. I think he is ready for the big leagues, regardless of what his current numbers say. He needs some major league experience and I think putting him in the old Cotts-Viz role would work well. The bottom line to my thinking is that I think we will need our best pitchers up here later on in the season. He is gonna be in that role eventually this year, it's inevitable, so you may as well do it now.

anyone else kinda worried that this leaves us with only 4 starters until duke comes back?

Heh, do you know what a swingman is? McCarthy will take the role that Glendon Rusch had last season with the Flubs. He will long relieve out of the bullpen and spot start when needed. McCarthy is basically taking over Cotts' role. Cotts is now a later-innings reliever.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Da Sox @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 02:10 AM)
anyone else kinda worried that this leaves us with only 4 starters until duke comes back?

I think this more of a case of the two upcoming off days, Wednesday and then Monday. By pitching Garland on Sunday, he'll be on his regular rotation. If they don't pitch him Sunday, then he'll have 6 days off instead of 4. Then this, in turn, keeps the rest of the rotation on a 4 off day schedule. I don't think they'll just push BMac back, but actually skip his starts until he's needed again. This will also allow Ozzie to pick his spots to use BMac in, and try and build some confidence.

I like this plan.

I can see McCarthy fluorishing in our pen.. If you notice his concentrations is good for a few inning.. He can handle it he needs to apprentice a little longer in the pen.. Cotts has apprenticed long enough he should be #5 . I think we would have plenty of room for this experiment if Viscaino could be waived and El Duque sent down to aaa for rehab. :bang

QUOTE(forrestg @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 05:40 PM)
I can see McCarthy fluorishing in our pen.. If you notice his concentrations is good for a few inning..  He can handle  it he needs to apprentice a little longer in the pen.. Cotts has apprenticed long enough he should be #5 .  I think we would have plenty of room for this experiment if  Viscaino could be waived and El Duque sent down to aaa for rehab. :bang

Cotts is our best reliever right now. He needs to stay in the bullpen.

The sox definitely need a long man in the bullpen, someone who can eat innings, keep the team in the game and throw strikes when he gets in. Bmac makes sense. Esp as he's struggling a bit [in AAA and in the bigs]. Having him around the big league club [working with Cooper, et al, and having success a few innings at a time] could help get him back on track.

It might only be a temporary thing. Then again, if it works out, having him up here throwing zeros for the club isn't a bad thing, even if it's from the bullpen

I don't want to see Cotts in any starting rotations! The kid has blossomed in his current role, and arguable our best reliever right now. Lets not sit here and b**** about him not stepping his game up for 2 years, then when he does finally settle in, decide to move him around again. He has found his niche.

This is where the coaching staff makes all the difference. They are massaging the DH situation and the pitching staff. Hopefully they are pressing the right buttons. Big picture, we want the 11 or 12 best arms on the 25 man roster in whatever capacity.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 05:29 AM)
The sox definitely need a long man in the bullpen, someone who can eat innings, keep the team in the game and throw strikes when he gets in. Bmac makes sense. Esp as he's struggling a bit [in AAA and in the bigs]. Having him around the big league club [working with Cooper, et al, and having success a few innings at a time] could help get him back on track.

It might only be a temporary thing. Then again, if it works out, having him up here throwing zeros for the club isn't a bad thing, even if it's from the bullpen

With Hernandez on the DL, there is going to be a minimal need for a long guy. This is a mistake for Brandon, if we are going to go with 4 starters, we need to go with a guy who is a reliever, and let Brandon get his innings at AAA.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
I could see that being a possibility for why brandon will start in oakland.

Why does it always seem like the Sox play more games in Oakland every year than the A's play in Chicago? Maybe I am just remembering off years, but it seems like every year the Sox have two killer west coast swings through Oakland and then the A's come and play a 3 game set in Chicago.