Brantley: Garland is the All-Star starter

Jabroni

You have to look at ERA, WHIP, strength of schedule, run support and team success.

Wins and strikeouts are extremely overrated these types of situations.

Garland is the favorite right now simply because of his wins and the national attention he is getting.

Based on performance thus far Buehrle is a better choice than Garland.

Halladay should start the All-Star game as of this moment.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 09:15 PM)
You have to look at ERA, WHIP, strength of schedule, run support and team success.

Garland is the favorite right now simply because of his wins and the national attention he is getting.

You hit it on the nose, I agree 100 percent with everything you said.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
Whose team is the best in the bigs? That plays with arguably the best division in the bigs? That has to make you more deserving, helping your team to the best record in the bigs.  :gosox3:

Hey, i'd much rather see a White Sox representing the best record in baseball, but it's an All-Star game, not an MVP award. Right now Halladay has the best stats and even thought his contributions might not be as valuable as Garland or Buehrle, they are the most impressive at this point.

I hope Mark gets the call.

Jon would probably do fine, but I would rather see Mark B take the hill as

a reward for his year in and out excellence.

Plus as a worrier, I feel there's the slim chance Jon could pull an Atlee

and not have it, throw meat and have it kill his confidence.

I'd love to see Mark start, Halladay to follow, Jon also pitch

and Hermy eventually close it out

with some other AL studs also working a few innings.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:11 AM)
Isn't wins what's all about? I would rank Mark actually third of these guys. But seriously, isn't there a Red Sox or Yankee that could start?  :P

No, but don't worry, Halladay being in the East and facing the 'toughest division in baseball' will get him the nod.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
So even though buehrle has been out performed by halladay this year you think buehrle shoudl start? :huh:

No, I just looked at the stats excluding record and k's because there overrated

QUOTE(ScottPodRulez22 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)
No, I just looked at the stats excluding record and k's because there overrated

Then you would have seen Halladay's lower ERA and lower WHIP. What exactly did you see to make you think Buehrle should start?

Let me ask this...

Jon Garland has a chance at 15 wins before the AS break. If he's sitting on 13 or 14 wins, and that's 2 or 3 ahead of everyone else in baseball...what else can you look at? He'd be on a pace to win like 27 or 28 games.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 07:50 PM)
Please be Mark or Jon  :pray I'm still mad at roy for winning CY in 2003 over E-Lo :banghead

Esteban blew it when Manuel sent him out with a cold to face the Twins and lost badly.

After that game, Esteban had lost the 1 game his team needed to win the most that season. The Cy Young award was decided entirely that night.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:26 PM)
Let me ask this...

Jon Garland has a chance at 15 wins before the AS break.  If he's sitting on 13 or 14 wins, and that's 2 or 3 ahead of everyone else in baseball...what else can you look at?  He'd be on a pace to win like 27 or 28 games.

Inning pitched, era, whip, and batting average against is what i would look at.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:26 PM)
Let me ask this...

Jon Garland has a chance at 15 wins before the AS break.  If he's sitting on 13 or 14 wins, and that's 2 or 3 ahead of everyone else in baseball...what else can you look at?  He'd be on a pace to win like 27 or 28 games.

If Halladay is at 12 or 13 wins at the time like he probably will, you can look at more important stats like ERA and WHIP which Halladay has an advantage in and make your decision off of that.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:26 PM)
Then you would have seen Halladay's lower ERA and lower WHIP. What exactly did you see to make you think Buehrle should start?

Ok never mind i just looked at the stats more closely halladay should defiantly start over buehrle.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 21 @ 2005 -> 09:15 PM)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
You hit it on the nose, I agree 100 percent with everything you said.

Agreed. Personally, I would like to remain under the radar. We don't need to have the starter. We just need to whup ass - as an overall team. And that is what we are doing this year. Under Ozzie's leadership, we are winning as a team. The Sox remind me a bit of the Montreal Canadian hockey teams of the past. Other teams might have a better superstar or two, but as unit - look out!!!

Why are you guys so concerned with dissecting stats and trying to come up with who you might think is most deserving???

That's certainly not what All-Star selections are always about, and since Buehrle and Garland have comparable stats to who many of you think deserves it, halladay, I say go with one of the guys on the best team in baseball.

It's never very fair and balanced, and in a close selection I'm going with my team. We've lost out enough times when our guys seemed to be the more deserving... :gosox3:

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
Out of curiousity, the decision is up to Francona, right?

Is there something about Halladay that just screams future NYY starter?

The problem is Halladay is only 28 years old and is effective. Wait until he's 35 and can't get anyone out then the Yankees will pounce and give him $15 million.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:46 PM)
The manager is in the AL East so I expect Halladay and he would be deserving.

I would go with Halladay too. I just hope it's not Garland. Like others have said, there's a slim chance he could choke under the pressure and go in to funk. I want Garland right in the middle with as little attention as possible.

Halladay should start.

If he starts he would probably pitch more pitches than any other starter. The "win home field advantage for the World Series" is still in effect. Halladay could pitch 3 or 4 innings.

Thus, he wouldn't be able to pitch after the Break right away. He wouldn't be as rested as the guys who come in out of the bullpen in the ASG and pitch to a couple guys in relief.

That's my main reason for not having Buehrle/Garland starting the game.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
Halladay should start.

If he starts he would probably pitch more pitches than any other starter. The "win home field advantage for the World Series" is still in effect. Halladay could pitch 3 or 4 innings.

Thus, he wouldn't be able to pitch after the Break right away, and wouldn't be as rested as the guys who come in out of the bullpen in the ASG and pitch to a couple guys in relief.

That's my main reason for not having Buehrle/Garland starting the game.

I've never seen an All Star starter work more than 2, 2 1/3 innings tops. Can anyone else remember seeing otherwise in the last 10 years? Usually the starter gets 2 innings, then the manager starts pumping in the rest of his bullpen.

I mean, it's almost a professional courtesy...if your the manager and you run an opposing team's pitcher out for 4 innings and wear him out...why shouldn't you expect the same treatment the next year? No one wants their team's pitcher to be worn out by the AS game.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
I've never seen an All Star starter work more than 2, 2 1/3 innings tops.  Can anyone else remember seeing otherwise in the last 10 years?  Usually the starter gets 2 innings, then the manager starts pumping in the rest of his bullpen.

Yeah the starter usually gets 2 innings. I think E Lo got 2 when he was with us, didn't he?