Brantley: Garland is the All-Star starter

Jabroni

Especially in your own division. THat would be a good way to get Ortiz drilled in the chin. I think Doc goes two, and then they can have Buehrle or Garland go two more and have the other do one or jus thave the two do one. Very good chance that THe trio in the conversation knock out hte first four innings. Garland has a shot though as wins are usually what people go by. I fear Mark will get overshadowed but maybe Boomer Wells can lobby to Tito for him.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
I've never seen an All Star starter work more than 2, 2 1/3 innings tops.  Can anyone else remember seeing otherwise in the last 10 years?  Usually the starter gets 2 innings, then the manager starts pumping in the rest of his bullpen.

I mean, it's almost a professional courtesy...if your the manager and you run an opposing team's pitcher out for 4 innings and wear him out...why shouldn't you expect the same treatment the next year?  No one wants their team's pitcher to be worn out by the AS game.

petey went 3 innings in beantown. He struck out the first 6 he saw if I remember correctly.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
Inning pitched, era, whip, and batting average against is what i would look at.

Except we aren't trying to sort out who is the best pitcher in baseball right now. This is the starting pitcher in a ceremonial All-Star game where the fans select the starting fielders. Why should pitcher be the only position where actual stats matter? Who do the fans want to see get the start? Usually, in America, we love the underdog, the Cinderella story, the kid out of no where who bursts on the scene.

Give the ball to Garland.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 01:34 AM)
petey went 3 innings in beantown. He struck out the first 6 he saw if I remember correctly.

Pedro went 2 innings in Boston, struck out the first 5 he saw.

No pitcher has thrown more than 2 innings in any given all-star game since 94 in Pittsburgh where Maddux went 3 inninings.

I don't think you have to worry about a Sox pitcher going any more than 2 innings seeing how its been 11 years since a pitcher has done it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 07:50 AM)
I am surprised that no one has said it yet, but my all-star dream is Jon Garland starting vs Dontrelle Willis :wub:

now that would be a nice matchup, they would have comparisons all the way till the all star game of whos better

of course they would find a way to include how the cubs had both at some time

Rogers is 9-2 with a 1.98 ERA.

Halladay has slightly better stats across the board on Buerhle.

That could still change in the next round of starts, but right now we have 2 out of the top 4 pitchers in the league.

Why does it matter if Halladay starts the All-Star game? He's earned it right now.

Brantley said on Sportscenter today he thinks the pitching staff can keep up its stellar performance. The windsock also got Hermanson's first name right for the first time ever, but referred to the player acquired from Seattle last year for Reed, Morse and Olivo as Freddy Guzman.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 06:44 PM)
Brantley said on Sportscenter today he thinks the pitching staff can keep up its stellar performance. The windsock also got Hermanson's first name right for the first time ever, but referred to the player acquired from Seattle last year for Reed, Morse and Olivo as Freddy Guzman.

Bob Brantley is a complete f***ing moron. How do you get a job on Television with ESPN and not know s*** about the current game of Baseball?