Tinkering with success

Jabroni

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

"Tinkering with success"

By Mark Gonzales

Tribune staff reporter

June 21, 2005, 7:05 PM CDT

It was only last Wednesday night that frustrated White Sox general manager Ken Williams retreated to his "war room" at U.S. Cellular Field.

Williams was pondering ways to fortify his roster at the cost of breaking up the future as he examined his three-year projection board.

At the same time, two Sox pro scouts were in North Carolina evaluating their minor-league teams and able to provide input on players who could attract interest from other teams.

Five days earlier, the Sox opened a spot on their 40-man roster by outrighting 2001 No. 1 pick Kris Honel.

The sense of urgency, however, subsided when the Sox scored 10 runs in the sixth inning, overcame a five-run deficit and averted a three-game sweep by beating Arizona.

Helping lead the way was third baseman Joe Crede, the subject of scrutiny because of his mercurial hitting.

Crede chipped in with a pair of late-inning doubles and has provided Gold Glove-caliber defense.

Tinkering with chemistry isn't the only factor Williams is weighing in his quest to strengthen the Sox. Williams has at least two untouchable prospects—pitcher Brandon McCarthy and Triple-A outfielder Brian Anderson—but the Sox have a few more top prospects they might have to part with to land that desired player.

There also are contract considerations. First baseman Paul Konerko, the productive soldier of the organization, can become a free agent at the end of this season and seems destined to land a multiyear contract worth at least $10 million annually.

Third base isn't the only area under evaluation. Manager Ozzie Guillen, a Crede fan, has been forced to perform a juggling act in the bullpen.

Here's a look at a few players who could be under observation as the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline approaches:

Eric Chavez

Not likely. The Oakland third baseman will be owed $62 million for the remaining 5½ seasons, which could impact Konerko's status.

Chavez has a limited no-trade clause, but the Sox aren't one of the eight teams on his no-trade list.

Sean Burroughs

The left-handed-hitting Burroughs is no longer held in high esteem by San Diego. He has been nagged by leg injuries but is a dependable line-drive hitter.

With second baseman Mark Loretta out with a thumb injury, the Padres are likely to hold onto Burroughs, with Geoff Blum moving to second.

Vinny Castilla

This would be the perfect fit if Washington weren't in contention in the American League. In fact, Williams has been harnessed because very few teams are out of contention.

Castilla will earn $3.2 million in 2006, which buys enough time for 2004 No. 1 pick Josh Fields, who is struggling at Double-A Birmingham.

Joe Randa

Will receive an extra $100,000 if traded from Cincinnati. But Crede has a much greater upside.

Brad Lidge

Why not ask? Williams isn't afraid to aim high. It could cost the Sox two prospects and a major-league-ready player, but that could be enough to tempt Houston.

Lidge is battled-tested (0.73 ERA in seven postseason games, 20 strikeouts in 121/3 innings). He also is familiar with the area, having starred at Notre Dame, and his grandfather, Ralph Lidge Sr., took him to Cubs games as a kid.

Miguel Batista

He's owed $4.75 million in 2006, but he has a resilient and live arm. Toronto is unlikely to part with him until it falls out of postseason contention. Writes poetry, likes birds and shaking off catcher's signs.

Jose Mesa

The count is 3-2, again. Forget it. His desire to stay on the East Coast also limits Pittsburgh's options. Salomon Torres is a better option, albeit in a setup role.

Danys Baez

Attracting lots of interest and destined to be traded by Tampa Bay. The Sox are likely to aim higher.

Brad Lidge

Why not ask? Williams isn't afraid to aim high. It could cost the Sox two prospects and a major-league-ready player, but that could be enough to tempt Houston.

Lidge is battled-tested (0.73 ERA in seven postseason games, 20 strikeouts in 121/3 innings). He also is familiar with the area, having starred at Notre Dame, and his grandfather, Ralph Lidge Sr., took him to Cubs games as a kid.

:pray How awesome would it be to see Kenny go out and get a guy like Brad Lidge. He is unstoppable on a good team and would go a long way to solidifying the bullpen.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
They would definately want Brian Anderson and more.

I would much rather give them Sweeney give them Sweeney in place of Anderson, but if Anderson is what it takes to get a guy like Lidge, I'd have to think about it.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 08:22 AM)
I'd give them Crede, Anderson, and McCarthy for Ensberg and Lidge.

The problem with Ensberg is his horrible road splits. He could probably hit at the Cell but you never know seeing how badly he's hit away from the Juice Box the last 3 years.

Batista's definitely an option worth looking at, he's had success in the closer role, don't have a great idea on his stuff though, but he's had success as a starter as well, so he could fill multiple roles for us.

Lidge for Brian Anderson, Ray Liotta and Willie Harris? Still no on giving up McCarthy with Anderson at this stage.

Joe Randa for Jeff Bajenaru plus a prospect or 2?

And just say no to Vinny Castilla. Hitting worse than .217 in the past 2 months. That's worse than Joe Crede.

Batista's definitely an option worth looking at, he's had success in the closer role, don't have a great idea on his stuff though, but he's had success as a starter as well, so he could fill multiple roles for us.

Lidge for Brian Anderson, Ray Liotta and Willie Harris? Still no on giving up McCarthy with Anderson at this stage.

Joe Randa for Jeff Bajenaru plus a prospect or 2?

And just say no to Vinny Castilla. Hitting worse than .217 in the past 2 months. That's worse than Joe Crede.

The Astros have 2B Chris Burke so I doubt they would be interested in Willie. I agree with you on Randa though. He's old and wouldn't cost much and the Reds will definately be looking to trade him. I doubt they expect a big return on him.

QUOTE(mreye @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 07:31 AM)
I didn't know that Notre Dame was in the area.  :huh

Yeah, it's dumb little passages like that that really bother me about the media. I remember there was speculation about Danny Hawkins being the next ND football coach because "he's catholic".

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
The Astros have 2B Chris Burke so I doubt they would be interested in Willie.  I agree with you on Randa though.  He's old and wouldn't cost much and the Reds will definately be looking to trade him.  I doubt they expect a big return on him.

It's hard to find a major league player on our 25 man roster that would fit with Houston right now. I just thought that it being Burke's 1st season and with Willie Taveras in CF, the Astros could use a guy like Harris who can get on base, cover the field well (a must at Minute Maid at CF) as a backup / platoon guy. This is unless they wanted someone like Ben Davis to possibly take over from Brad Ausmus next season but that's a longshot.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:10 AM)
I would be careful with Lidge, he hasn't been as dominating as last year and the number of innings he threw makes me nervous.

2004- 1.90 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 14.83 K/9

2005- 2.81 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, 13.78 K/9

He is on an absolutely pathetic team which does not bode well for closers. When their team isn't in contention closers tend to suck, closing envolves a lot of adreneline and motivation to get the final 3 outs of a game. When you're team is s***ty it's not as easy to get pumped to pitch, you're not really playing for anything.

Lidge will be fine.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:14 AM)
He is on an absolutely pathetic team which does not bode well for closers. When their team isn't in contention closers tend to suck, closing envolves a lot of adreneline and motivation to get the final 3 outs of a game. When you're team is s***ty it's not as easy to get pumped to pitch, you're not really playing for anything.

Lidge will be fine.

I'm sorry but that theory is just retarded. Eddie Guardado has had a great year pitching for the Mariners despite being out of contention. Danny Kolb was great last year for a losing team but horrible for a team in contention this year. Compare Joe Nathan's 2005 with his dominant 2004. Is he not pitching for a contender?

Some pitchers just have down years, but I would venture to say there are much more important causes for that than the team's record. There's honestly no trend to support your theory.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
On that list, I'd take Lidge and Randa.  I'd also think about Bautista and Baez, depending on the price.

Just to throw this out there, I saw an article that mentioned the Twins having an interest in Randa.  That scares me a little bit.

the Twins infield is a mess. I think they have Castro playing short now, on a bad ankle. Bartlett already got sent down. The Twins have a ton of outfield prospects and nowhere to put them, I wonder if they start dealing them soon?

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
Looks like the Twins will make a trade for Burroghs of SD..

I want Oswalt&Lidge... I dont care if we have to give up 5 top prospects I want to win it now

I heard that there is an article on si.com that links Oswalt with the Sox. I don't know for sure as I couldn't find it, or couldn't access it because I'm not a premium member or whatever. If someone has access and can find it, I"d sure like to know what that article says.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
I heard that there is an article on si.com that links Oswalt with the Sox.  I don't know for sure as I couldn't find it, or couldn't access it because I'm not a premium  member or whatever.  If someone has access and can find it, I"d sure like to know what that article says.

This can only be bad for me. Thinking of Oswalt on the Sox is going to drive me nuts, and I won't be able to think of much else.

And to Southside Hitmen, how do you know the Twins are going after Burroughs?