Tinkering with success

Jabroni

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
This can only be bad for me.  Thinking of Oswalt on the Sox is going to drive me nuts, and I won't be able to think of much else.

LOL, i get the same way. One track mind.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:11 AM)
This can only be bad for me.  Thinking of Oswalt on the Sox is going to drive me nuts, and I won't be able to think of much else.

And to Southside Hitmen, how do you know the Twins are going after Burroughs?

Why would it drive you nuts?

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
I just had to write this down

Our Pitchers would be

Buehrle

Oswalt??

Garland

Garcia

Conteras

Cotts

Vizcaino

Politte

Marte

Hermanson

Lidge??

I'm sure Vizcaino will be gone long before Shingo. Damn it, I'm already managing a non-existant team. See what I mean?

Since I live in Austin, I get a look at the Astros Triple-A team the Round Rock Express on a semi-regular basis and let me tell you, except for the short cup of coffee Luke Scott got this year, they have no outfielders here. They have Luke Scott, Barry Wesson and Charles Gipson. Plus, they have former Sox Chris Tremie behind the plate. They had Raul Chavez, but I don't know if they called him back up or not.

They are well stocked on infield prospects, though. Not going to speculate on what the trade would be, just want to present who the Express have.

Round Rock Express Stats

Why are you convinced they want to trade Oswalt? Guardado is my first choice but Lidge would make a fine addition as well. It's expected around the league for the bullpen to change for contenders. It's like a revolving door.

It won't upset chemistry too much if at all.

Dealing Viz away & picking up Lidge/Guardado is a smart move.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
Why are you convinced they want to trade Oswalt?  Guardado is my first choice but Lidge would make a fine addition as well.  It's expected around the league for the bullpen to change for contenders.  It's like a revolving door.

It won't upset chemistry too much if at all.

Dealing Viz away & picking up Lidge/Guardado is a smart move.

I sure can't say why they'd trade Oswalt, but I'd like to see what that damn article says. The only scenario I can think of is that Houston might want to do an Indians type purge .. start over from scratch type thing.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 01:39 AM)
I sure can't say why they'd trade Oswalt, but I'd like to see what that damn article says.  The only scenario I can think of is that Houston might want to do an Indians type purge .. start over from scratch type thing.

Is this the one you're talking about?

As much as he would love to make a trade, White Sox' GM Ken Williams is doing his best to keep his finger off the trigger. ''Believe me, if there is something out there that is really special, don't you think for one minute that if I felt it gets us to the World Series, yeah, we would aggressively pursue that,'' Williams said. The rumor mill is stuffed with big-name players supposedly available -- pitchers such as Eric Milton, Roy Oswalt, Brandon Backe and Kip Wells and offensive threats such as Preston Wilson, Mike Cameron, Eric Chavez, Aubrey Huff and Matt Lawton. Certainly, one of those names could give a talented Sox team an extra bounce in October.

-- Chicago Sun-Times

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:39 AM)
I sure can't say why they'd trade Oswalt, but I'd like to see what that damn article says.  The only scenario I can think of is that Houston might want to do an Indians type purge .. start over from scratch type thing.

That's probably what they want to do. That team is going nowhere fast. All their stars are old for the most part. Clemens won't be around long and that contract of his will make it pretty hard to get rid of him. A guy like Oswalt or Lidge would bring in a lot of good, young talent to rebuild with.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
That's probably what they want to do.  That team is going nowhere fast.  All their stars are old for the most part.  Clemens won't be around long and that contract of his will make it pretty hard to get rid of him.  A guy like Oswalt or Lidge would bring in a lot of good, young talent to rebuild with.

Bingo. If they are moving those two, they are throwing in the towel on the immediate future and building a solid base of good young players. With Biggio, Bagwell and Clemens reaching the end of the line and Pettitte probably as valuable as he will ever be, it makes sense.

But doesn't it make more sense for a profitable team to eat some of the $ in the contracts for the older players & deal them? Oswalt is one of the best young starters in MLB. I just don't see the logic for a team playing in the 4th/5th biggest market that is drawing 32K+/gm to deal him.

I would imagine Pettite or Clemens would go first.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:08 PM)
But doesn't it make more sense for a profitable team to eat some of the $ in the contracts for the older players & deal them?  Oswalt is one of the best young starters in MLB.  I just don't see the logic for a team playing in the 4th/5th biggest market that is drawing 32K+/gm to deal him.

Unfortunately, both Pettitte and Clemens signed with the Astros to be close to home. I don't think Clemens would be traded unless it's to the Rangers or the Yankees, if they make a run. Pettitte has been oft-injured. Clemens is probably done after this year anyway and if they deal Oswalt, he for sure will be done.

I can't see them dealing any of their pitchers. Once Biggio and Bagwell are off the books, they should have a decent team. At least above average.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)
But doesn't it make more sense for a profitable team to eat some of the $ in the contracts for the older players & deal them?  Oswalt is one of the best young starters in MLB.  I just don't see the logic for a team playing in the 4th/5th biggest market that is drawing 32K+/gm to deal him.

I'd say it depends on what they can get for those guys and what the direction the team wants to go. Sure trdaing Clemens and/or Pettitte makes more sense, but the trade market will make those decisions. Most people thought it made more sense for Beane to trade Zito before either of the other two. Didn't work out that way though.

From SI.com:

With the exception of the Roger Clemens-to-the-Yankees rumor (a very feasible deal), don't look for much dealing in Houston. In 2006, having a healthy Berkman, Roy Oswalt, Adam Everett, Brad Lidge and Andy Pettitte to go with youngsters like Chris Burke, Willy Taveras, Luke Scott, not to mention a little luck, could turn the 'Stros into wild-card contenders again.
Edited by Kalapse