ALDS Opponent

jerseysox

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Nine games up in late June. Sure, it's way too early to be discussing this, but which AL team would you ideally like to face in the ALDS?

For me, I'd like to get the Orioles. I feel they are the weakest of all the contenders. Thoughts?

Baltimore with their overall weak pitching, but I'd be terrified of that offense. And then I guess the Twins....LOL if they make the WC. They seem to be down to earth in offense, and their pitching and ours are similar(though they have the better bullpen)

Edited by TheBlackSox8

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
I guess the Twins....LOL  if they make the WC.  They seem to be down to earth in offense,  and their pitching and ours are similar(though they have the better bullpen)

We can't play them in the ALDS. Baseball rules prevents teams in the same division playing each other in the ALDS.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Baltimore with their overall weak pitching,  but I'd be terrified of that offense.  I guess the Twins....LOL  if they make the WC.  They seem to be down to earth in offense,  and their pitching and ours are similar(though they have the better bullpen)

they can't get the twins in the ALDS, unfortunately.

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 12:49 PM)
We can't play them in the ALDS.  Baseball rules prevents teams in the same division playing each other in the ALDS.

I was thinking the ALCS, I meant to put "and then" the twins, after Baltimore....but i didn't

Edited by TheBlackSox8

After a healthiny Schilling, Boston is pretty weak in terms of starting pitching and their bullpen isn't so great. They have good hitting, but the Sox have shut that down for the most part. If we did Garland vs. Schilling, Buehrle vs. Wells, and then Garcia on the road, I think we'd have a good shot to win that series.

I really don't want the Sox to face a hot Texas. I'm not sure how well they'd hold up against the Angels, either, but I like their chances against the Angels better than Texas, though.

Thomas, Dye and Carl are ALL very prone to injuries. Given what's already befallen El Duque, I wouldn't push it. There's a very good chance all three of these guys could go down for a spell. Not trying to be cynical, just holding my playoff matchups for August/September consideration.

Oh what the f*** -- I'd like Anaheim in the first round. Beat the best first. :drink

Just plain speculating here, but my list of preferences would probably be:

1) Texas

2) Baltimore

3) Anaheim

Texas is just too green (not saying we're not either), but I could really see some of their young guys struggling. Plus, their pitching is probably the worst of the potential playoff teams. As long as we'd be able to shut down most of the main cogs in their offense (tex, soriano, etc) I'd really like our chances. Anaheim's bullpen scares the s*** out of me even though we've handled them before, and baltimore has some underrated starting pitching (plus their offense is just as potent as texas). However, this discussion could all be moot because some teams could change drastically by august 1st. I will tell you one thing though, I'm rooting like hell against New York and Boston...I don't care what anyone says, I would much rather see playoffs without them (but I'm sure at least one will make it).

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
Texas is just too green (not saying we're not either), but I could really see some of their young guys struggling. Plus, their pitching is probably the worst of the potential playoff teams. As long as we'd be able to shut down most of the main cogs in their offense (tex, soriano, etc) I'd really like our chances. Anaheim's bullpen scares the s*** out of me even though we've handled them before, and baltimore has some underrated starting pitching (plus their offense is just as potent as texas). However, this discussion could all be moot because some teams could change drastically by august 1st. I will tell you one thing though, I'm rooting like hell against New York and Boston...I don't care what anyone says, I would much rather see playoffs without them (but I'm sure at least one will make it).

problem with texas is if their hitting takes off its not gonna be able for us to catch them, as we saw in our last series with them, im hoping right now that a team like the mariners gets on fire and passes the angels, because i would love revenge against them for last time

QUOTE(Fotop @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
Just plain speculating here, but my list of preferences would probably be:

1) Texas

2) Baltimore

3) Anaheim

Texas has an awesome offense i would want to stay away from that.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)
problem with texas is if their hitting takes off its not gonna be able for us to catch them, as we saw in our last series with them, im hoping right now that a team like the mariners gets on fire and passes the angels, because i would love revenge against them for last time

Well ya, if they're hot sure. But you could basically say that about any of the potential playoff teams because they all have pretty good offenses (except maybe for us, but the rest are damn good...boston and new york included). The reason I like texas is because their SP is so bad and their bullpen has one pitcher in cordero. Add in the fact that pretty much none of them have played in the playoffs and I like the matchup.

Oh and Texas or Anaheim being eclipsed by the A's or the mariners is far from reality. Even if they did, they'd be hard-pressed to make the playoffs unless they won the West.

I think the best match-up for us would be the Orioles. The worst is the Angels. That team scares the hell out of me. Scoscia would destroy Ozzie. I think he's the best manager in baseball. Part of me would really like to see the Sox play the Yanks in the playoffs, even though if they make it they will be very dangerous. I want to play the best and I just hate the Yankees so much, I would love to play and hopefully beat them in the playoffs.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
I think the best match-up for us would be the Orioles. The worst is the Angels. That team scares the hell out of me. Scoscia would destroy Ozzie. I think he's the best manager in baseball.  Part of me would really like to see the Sox play the Yanks in the playoffs, even though if they make it they will be very dangerous. I want to play the best and I just hate the Yankees so much, I would love to play and hopefully beat them in the playoffs.

i get to watch the yankees every day out here. they are probably the 7th best team in the AL. beating them most definitely wouldn't be beating the best.

i agree with the rest. the angels would be best matchup, the angels, the worst.

QUOTE(TheBlackSox8 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
Baltimore with their overall weak pitching,  but I'd be terrified of that offense.  And then I guess the Twins....LOL  if they make the WC.  They seem to be down to earth in offense,  and their pitching and ours are similar(though they have the better bullpen)

To play the orioles 22 years later would be sweet revenge. We need to beat teams that have caused us years of turmoil. I see us with a crash course with the Cardinals come September. Right now I have the Padres and Dodger game on and all I here is an obsession with beating LA. you think we are psycho.

Rich

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:48 PM)
i get to watch the yankees every day out here. they are probably the 7th best team in the AL. beating them most definitely wouldn't be beating the best.

i agree with the rest. the angels would be best matchup, the angels, the worst.

I fear the Rangers they have more pure power throughout their line up. I must say there are a lot of teams that were dormant are now coming to life....Cleveland , Yankees... who knows who will be hot then... :huh

In the ALDS, I'd love to see the Orioles. I foresee their offense as one that can be shut down very easily come playoff time, for whatever reason, and their pitching is nothing to write home about(though Julio-Ryan to close out games is pretty strong). And I honestly feel that Anaheim is one of the most overrated teams in the majors...a strong offense, no doubt, but their rotation is maybe just above mediocre, and their bullpen does not have nearly the depth it has had in years past. Boston would be favorable, as would New York. Texas seems to either be the team you'd love to face or that you'd hate to face.

The team I probably would not want to face no matter what is Minnesota. Strong bullpen, up and down, decent offense, very similar to ours, and then of course Johan and Radke, who can both be extremely tough to hit, let alone beat, when they are on. You consider that you will face them 4 times at the very minimum in a 7 game series, and you then realize you have to beat one of them atleast once...and if you face them 5 times, you have to beat them twice. Not something that I would really want to deal with.