What the hell is Ozzie doing with his lineup?

Hideaway Lights

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
Hideaway Lights, I'm really sorry to be rude, but I can't believe you would suggest Frank to bat 5th.

Im not sure if he was serious, or just trying to stir the pot. Either way its a dead issue in my eyes.

9.5 games up :cheers

I'm honestly not stirring the pot. I just think Frank is turning into a different type of hitter at this stage of his career. He's not the .300 hitter he used to be. He will probably hit .270 at best this season, and with a ton of walks might have an oba of around .360 or so. Not great numbers by any stretch.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
I didn't say he said it WAS happening.. I said IF it's happening.

I guess we can all use a course in how to read, huh?

:bang

I understand what you were getting at now... and my point to say why risk it clarifies he didn't say it was happening - so don't anyone go out and report it as fact now, ya hear? :lol:

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
Why are we focusing on Frank's/Aaron's career OBP when we should be focusing on what he/they can do NOW.

What makes you think Frank can't get on base more than Rowand now?

He sports a tidy .370 OBP right now. while Rowand's career high was .360 last season.

Did I mention that Frank has 6 HRs in 1/6th the number of at bats as Rowand. HRs are good. You want to have more opportunities to hit them. Bat frank higher, and he gets more chances. He also gives the guys lower in the order more chances by making fewer outs than Rowand.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
I'm honestly not stirring the pot. I just think Frank is turning into a different type of hitter at this stage of his career. He's not the .300 hitter he used to be. He will probably hit .270 at best this season, and with a ton of walks might have an oba of around .360 or so. Not great numbers by any stretch.

Just career numbers for Aaron Rowand.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
I guess we can all use a course in how to read, huh?

:bang

I understand what you were getting at now... and my point to say why risk it clarifies he didn't say it was happening - so don't anyone go out and report it as fact now, ya hear? :lol:

Yea..maybe some could. :rolly

Why risk a "tempertantrum"... guess I think that's a pretty stupid thing to say when by all indications the clubhouse has been a pleasure.. and for those with cloudy memories Frank OFFERED to hit 4th last year behind Maggs so to make a comment that he might get pissed if asked to hit 4th is bulls***, IMO, because he's given up the spot previously.

Someone on this thread sure did appear to take it as fact....

Um, how the hell does Frank being in my name suggest I'd agree with him batting 5th??? LMAO. Frank is not a 5th hitter, plain and simple. And I don't mean just technically, he's 3rd and he's meant to be there. You got Ozuna/Podsednik for your speed, you got Iguchi for your versatility, and u got Frank for your power. There ya go. Why should Frank bat 5th? In my view, it would be a pretty bad move.

Edited by TheBigHurt

IMO, the reason Frank would NOT want to move right now is because he is indeed getting on base and hitting well, so you don't mess with a good thing and I would say that in Frank's shoes.

Anyway, this whole thread is crap (no offense, Lights). Like some have said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So tootles.

:lol:

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
twins still need to play, dont get ahead of yourself

Nobody is ahead of no one. As we stand it's 9.5 If the Twins lose it's 10 and if they win it's 9 ;)

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
What makes you think Frank can't get on base more than Rowand now?

He sports a tidy .370 OBP right now. while Rowand's career high was .360 last season.

Did I mention that Frank has 6 HRs in 1/6th the number of at bats as Rowand. HRs are good. You want to have more opportunities to hit them. Bat frank higher, and he gets more chances. He also gives the guys lower in the order more chances by making fewer outs than Rowand.

But the Sox are winning and there isn't much to b**** about, so back to the easy target, Frank. With the way Ozzie does things, I have to believe that if he didn't think Frank would help the team batting 3rd, he wouldn't put him there.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
IMO, the reason Frank would NOT want to move right now is because he is indeed getting on base and hitting well, so you don't mess with a good thing and I would say that in Frank's shoes.

Anyway, this whole thread is crap (no offense, Lights).  Like some have said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  So tootles.

:lol:

.263 is hitting well?

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
I'd say it's pretty good for a guy who's fairly recently come back to the team :P

and you're not a Thomas apologist you say? uh....

anyway, I like Frank. I just always understood that your best hitter for average was your number 3 hitter.....Frank is no longer that guy. Sure, he's still getting a lot of walks, but if he hits, say .251 with an OBP of around .330 (the low end of the spectrum IMO, the high end I quoted earlier) is that appropriate for a number 3 hitter?

btw, Rowand is a career .288 hitter, not .270.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
and you're not a Thomas apologist you say? uh....

anyway, I like Frank. I just always understood that your best hitter for average was your number 3 hitter.....Frank is no longer that guy. Sure, he's still getting a lot of walks, but if he hits, say .251 with an OBP of around .330 (the low end of the spectrum IMO, the high end I quoted earlier) is that appropriate for a number 3 hitter?

btw, Rowand is a career .288 hitter, not .270.

There is your major mistake right there, BA is not everything in your #3 hitter. Our #4 hits homeruns, thats is. We want maximum power and OBP in our 3 hole in front of our 4 and 5.

Okay, so all you guys that think Thomas' average is going to come up....what about Rowand's power numbers? He had 60 extra base hits last year. Not entirely bad. This year he's been in a bit of a power slump, but he has the tools to be the type of complete player to hit from the three hole. He definitely showed that last year.

Rowand's prime is also probably still ahead of him, whereas Thomas's is way in the rear view mirror....

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:33 PM)
Okay, so all you guys that think Thomas' average is going to come up....what about Rowand's power numbers? He had 60 extra base hits last year. Not entirely bad. This year he's been in a bit of a power slump, but he has the tools to be the type of complete player to hit from the three hole. He definitely showed that last year.

Rowand's prime is also probably still ahead of him, whereas Thomas's is way in the rear view mirror....

Dont even care if his average comes up. It probably will the way he has been coming back, but his OBP and his power numbers are still going to be better than A-row.

QUOTE(Hideaway Lights @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:33 PM)

When Rowand's numbers are better than whoever is batting 3rd, then it's his spot. Until then, Rowand is only batting about .280 to Frank's .260. And according to you, Rowand is on the low end for OBP at .339 while Frank is at .357. Frank has a SLG of .771 while Rowan is only at .414. So again, why put the .771 in the 5th spot and move the .414 to the 3rd spot?