Sox Looking at Ted Lilly

beck72

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
Getting a #1, #2 SP is far easier said than done. And not worth the price IMO. I think the sox would be hard pressed to find a SP out there who could better what Mark, Jon, Freddy and Jose can do. Plus, if El Duque can pitch, a 5th starter type could go to the bullpen.

Honestly, the way this team is playing this year, and having the best record ever by a sox team. KW knows this could be the year we do it. So he is definatley going to look for a big trade just to see what he can get. If it means sacraficing a possible player down the road, do it. I honestly think he is looking at players like Oswalt, he was looking at Chavez, etc. This is the year to make that HUGE trade that can put a team over the top, sort of how Houston did it last year with Beltran to get them to the playoffs.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:34 PM)
Nothing doing.

If you are going to make a move to improve this ballclub, do it right.  Wait until the trade deadline and see who becomes available or who surfaces as the most coveted.

Adding a SP who can give the sox innings will help the club now. Esp if Bmac isn't ready. The Sox are just going through June with the most off days they have the rest of the way. they can't afford to have a SP who taxes the bullpen. Even a mediocre SP could help.

But I don't see the sox getting an ace type SP at the deadline. Maybe a bullpen guy. But not a SP.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:34 PM)
Getting a #1, #2 SP is far easier said than done. And not worth the price IMO. I think the sox would be hard pressed to find a SP out there who could better what Mark, Jon, Freddy and Jose can do. Plus, if El Duque can pitch, a 5th starter type could go to the bullpen.

I know it is. KW has to be prepared to overpay. I have no faith in El Duque being healthy. He rested his arm the last month and a half of last season, and the winter, and lasted a third of a season. He then sits a couple of weeks and gets lit up 2 or 3 times, and his arm is tired again. Its not going to all of a sudden stop getting tired. This is probably the White Sox best opportunity to win a lot more than a division title in a long time. The money is supposedly there. They bring in a frontline starter, and they become the odds on favorites to win the World Series. Even ESPN personalities would have to jump on the bandwagon.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
Honestly, the way this team is playing this year, and having the best record ever by a sox team.  KW knows this could be the year we do it.  So he is definatley going to look for a big trade just to see what he can get.  If it means sacraficing a possible player down the road, do it.  I honestly think he is looking at players like Oswalt, he was looking at Chavez, etc.  This is the year to make that HUGE trade that can put a team over the top, sort of how Houston did it last year with Beltran to get them to the playoffs.

But making a huge trade also could displace an everyday player or a SP [like El Duque or Jose C. Thus hurting the team chemistry that almost every sox player has talked about.

A 5th SP type wouldn't hurt the chemistry one bit.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
I know it is. KW has to be prepared to overpay. I have no faith in El Duque being healthy. He rested his arm the last month and a half of last season, and the winter, and lasted a third of a season. He then sits a couple of weeks and gets lit up 2 or 3 times, and his arm is tired again. Its not going to all of a sudden stop getting tired. This is probably the White Sox best opportunity to win a lot more than a division title in a long time. The money is supposedly there. They bring in a frontline starter, and they become the odds on favorites to win the World Series. Even ESPN personalities would have to jump on the bandwagon.

I'd have to see the names. But of those names I've heard, at a reasonable price, I don't see them being better than the Sox current 1-4 guys

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
Ack, you beat me to it by that much!

It was over 6 before his game against the Dodgers too, I think.

it should go down against the cubbies, they arent hitting too well lately and he seems to be successful against them, i dont think it matters what pitcher you trade fore, its tough to pitch in a hitters park like the cell, you need to find that guy who has a good sinker and some nasty slider to put the ball down, im sure the lilly could be worked with during the all star break if we do happen to acquire him by then

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
Derek Lowe just signed with the Dodgers this year. He is doing pretty good with them and they need more pitching because their pitching staff is either injured or doing horrible. He's a small bright spot. Plus he's owed tons of money. No Lowe young grasshopper. And I'm a fan of Lowe.

Gagne just went down and after losing 8 straight, the Dodgers are going to be looking do dump some salary and start looking to next year. They brought in Lowe for a playoff run and they'll be watching from home this year. Yes, the Sox would have to pick up a big chunk of change, but didn't KW say Jerry would do that? Attendance is up, you have the best record in the league and I guarantee you the Twins are going to upgrade their bats before the deadline with another Shannon Stewart like trade. To add a veteran like Lowe -- a guy who would fit right in to boot -- would be huge for the Sox. And don't you know he'd love another shot at the Yankees or even better, his old teammates? Hmm?

Make it so, Kenny, make it so.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
Gagne just went down and after losing 8 straight, the Dodgers are going to be looking do dump some salary and start looking to next year. They brought in Lowe for a playoff run and they'll be watching from home this year. Yes, the Sox would have to pick up a big chunk of change, but didn't KW say Jerry would do that? Attendance is up, you have the best record in the league and I guarantee you the Twins are going to upgrade their bats before the deadline with another Shannon Stewart like trade. To add a veteran like Lowe -- a guy who would fit right in to boot -- would be huge for the Sox. And don't you know he'd love another shot at the Yankees or even better, his old teammates? Hmm?

but the dodgers are still in contention and hes probably their best guy, no way they trade him

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:17 PM)

Derek Lowe just signed. $36 million over 4 years. That's all you need to know about why I don't want him.

Besides...isn't there a rule saying you can't trade freshly signed free agents until almost the trading deadline?

Edited by Balta1701

Before this gets into all the fantasy trade deals, let's get back to reality. There was a media report linking the sox to Lilly. Let's look at the reasoning behind the sox looking at him, instead of the pie in the sky crap

It's not to get a top of the line SP. It's for a 5th SP type.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
Before this gets into all the fantasy trade deals, let's get back to reality. There was a media report linking the sox to Lilly. Let's look at the reasoning behind the sox looking at him, instead of the pie in the sky crap

:notworthy finally away from this derek lowe nonsense

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)

I wouldn't be dissapointed if we got Lilly, but I wouldn't be estatic either. He is a decent pitcher, and could help us out if we aquried him.