Kenny's comments on El Duque and making a move

Jabroni

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Positive outlook: Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez spoke briefly to the media prior to Wednesday's game, for the first time since tightness and fatigue in his right shoulder put the veteran hurler back on the 15-day disabled list. Hernandez plans to start throwing in three or four days, and while he didn't experience pain like his last trip to the disabled list, the trapezius problem he's currently experiencing "wasn't comfortable."

"It's better to stop, or maybe I'll hurt my shoulder," Hernandez said. "It's difficult for me to say, 'OK, I'm going to the disabled list.' It's very difficult.

"I love this game. This is my passion. This is more than 50 percent of my life, to me and my family. But I don't have control of some situations. If I need to take a DL, then I will go to the disabled list."

With the Hernandez move being made retroactive to June 15, the right-hander would be eligible to return on June 30 in Detroit. The best guess for Hernandez's next start would be July 2 in Oakland, meaning Brandon McCarthy probably wouldn't have another start before the All-Star break. But while Hernandez plans on going straight from the disabled list to live-game action, both Williams and Guillen hold firm ideas of at least one Minor League rehab start for El Duque.

Williams was a bit more relaxed in talking Wednesday morning about Hernandez's second bout of arm problems. But he reiterated that a move would be made before he sits through a season of up-and-down health issues with his pitcher.

"I articulated it to him in an early conversation and then to him again yesterday," Williams said. "He knows exactly where we stand as an organization and where I stand as a man, in trying to make sure this team finishes what it started.

"He understands that if he does not give us more stability in that spot, and I told him flat out, I'm not going to let this go on through the season. We are not going to sit here and let this go to waste."

I was as big a critic of KW as anybody. Now, it must be said that KW has done one hell of good job putting this team together, while being constrained by the fiscal policies of his boss. If somebody does a lousy job, then go ahead and criticize, but if that person turns things around then some credit is due. Fair is fair.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
Part of his reason for doing this is to calm the nerves of White Sox fans who are worried about another 5th starter fiasco.

I think he's just trying to make public the point about how unhappy he was with what just happened with El Duque.