Jason Schdimt to the Sox??

Southside hitmen

The money is not that big of an issue. The prospects we'd have to give up is though. That's why I wouldn't make this move.

As far as Frank goes, I think Sox management has to keep him around. PK does better with him around(at least the clubhouse). I think management realizes Frank is a lifetime Sox. I also doubt he asks for much more than he's making now. With the team winning and increased revenue, I don't see why he wouldn't be resigned. Maybe Steff has some inside info.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
You call yourself captain obvious, yet you can't see this.  Frank is gone after this year.  If they could've, he'da been gone last year or the year before.

What the hell are you talking about, are you aware the relationship Frank and JR have? Thomas has done a great job to this offense since coming back. Who are you going to replace him with? Both options will be declined and they will create a new contract. Frank is a White Sox for life.

By the way 600 posts! :cheers

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:35 PM)
you make good points, I just really don't like it when money is made an issue.  the problem with Schmidt is that he's struggling and we'd be banking on the fact that he turns it around.  you bring his salary into it, it's almost like you're saying even if it were guaranteed he'd turn it around, you wouldn't want him at that price.  hell, maybe that's what you are saying, but either way, I wouldn't mind seeing this team spend like the Yankees.

Hell, I was just putting his contract out there for everyone to see, I wasn't implying anything.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:58 PM)
What the hell are you talking about, are you aware the relationship Frank and JR have? Thomas has done a great job to this offense since coming back. Who are you going to replace him with? Both options will be declined and they will create a new contract. Frank is a White Sox for life.

By the way 600 posts! :cheers

Agreed. I bet Frank plays for the CHW for around $6.5 million next year. That's pretty fair value. He gets $3.5 million if his contract is bought out. I don't think there's a team out there that can use a DH-only type player for $3 million.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:28 AM)
The Sox have some outfield prospects. The Astros have aging outfielders on the verge of retirement.

I'm not saying anything, just pointing out some facts...

Willy Taveras is 23, Jason Lane 28, and Lance Berkman 29.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:13 AM)
Pure speculation on the wrighters part.

I don't want him anyway, he's overpriced considering what we'd have to give up for him.

Why should we go after a guy who is already struggling and hope that he turns it around for us.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 03:11 AM)
Is that a joke?

So THATS where Dan Wright is now!

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:52 PM)
You call yourself captain obvious, yet you can't see this.  Frank is gone after this year.  If they could've, he'da been gone last year or the year before.

Not as long as Jerry signs Kenny's check's he wont be.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:10 AM)
Not as long as Jerry signs Kenny's check's he wont be.

most sox fans forget , it is Jerry that owns the team , not kenny. I don't understand it. Every year, for the last few year there are different rumors about frank playing for a different team. If I were a gambling man I'd bet everything I own on Frank retiring right here. He's been here 15-16 years, why would he leave (our we get rid of him)now? Sadly, some fans won't appreciate him until he's gone. His prescence in our lineup benefits EVERYONE. He is basically a giant who forces you to pitch to him. If not he will be more than happy to draw a walk. The same can't be said for other power hitters on the sox.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
Jerry doesn't own the team.. but I understand what you are saying.

I know he doesn't own 100% of the team , he has the other board members who are involved with the decisions. Instead of naming everyones name it is much easier to just name jerry. The point is kenny owns 0% of the team. I don't know as much as you when it comes to the inside info but, I have an understanding that kenny can't just move Frank that easy. No matter what media outlet or casual sox fan would tend to believe.

There is one guy in the city of Chicago sportsworld who walks right into the owners office and negotiates his contract face to face, without an agent present. Frank and Jerry negotiate contracts with none of the BS. If Frank wants to come back to Chicago next year, and doesn't want an insane amount of money, he will be here. Period.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:06 AM)
I don't know as much as you when it comes to the inside info but, I have an understanding that kenny  can't just move Frank that easy. No matter what media outlet or casual sox fan would tend to believe.

Even if upper-management wanted to move Frank, it isn't an easy task since there really isn't a suitor out there for Frank. The team definitely has to be AL and the best match would be the Angels (payroll, need a DH).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 08:25 AM)
There is one guy in the city of Chicago sportsworld who walks right into the owners office and negotiates his contract face to face, without an agent present.  Frank and Jerry negotiate contracts with none of the BS.  If Frank wants to come back to Chicago next year, and doesn't want an insane amount of money, he will be here.  Period.

You sure you don't mean Ozzie...??? Arn is Frank's agent, and while it's not the normal owner/agent relationship.. Jerry urged Frank to hire Arn to take care of him after Frank's previous agent died in the Payne Stewart plane crash.

From the AP recap of the Giants game last night:

Schmidt (5-3) hadn't won back-to-back outings since beating Los Angeles and Colorado on April 5 and 10 to start the year. He built on his best start of the season last Friday, when he pitched eight shutout innings in a 4-0 win at Detroit.

This time, he struck out a season-high 10 and threw several fastballs clocked at 95 mph, and said, "I feel like there's a whole lot more in there." He also extended his scoreless streak to 17 innings dating to June 11 against Cleveland.

---

Schmidt, an 18-game winner last season and one of the top vote getters for the NL Cy Young Award the past two years, seems to be regaining his form after an inconsistent first half. The lanky right-hander has been working to vary his pitches and become less predictable.

"We all have to make adjustments in this game," catcher Mike Matheny said. "I'm very proud he made the adjustment. He needed to have it proven to him how good his stuff is, and he did that the last two games. ... For him to get right, no question it's a huge boost for us, a shot in the arm."

And manager Felipe Alou is going to be cautious with Schmidt's pitch count to make sure he doesn't experience the fatigue that hindered him earlier in the year. Schmidt threw 116 pitches, and that's around the target number for him these days.

Arizona manager Bob Melvin said before the game that Schmidt causes opposing batters problems and "gets your attention" even when his velocity is down as it had been recently.

Melvin was more impressed afterward.

"He changed his style a bit," Melvin said. "It doesn't matter how you pitch as long as you get guys out. His fastball was topped at 95 and his changeup was between 83 and 86. The good pitchers make adjustments."

The great thing about the trade deadline is there's still over a month to go and you can evaluate guys who struggled early. A healthy/effective Schmidt is as good as any pitcher in baseball.

Actually, I like Schmidt a whole lot. Let me give you a couple of reasons why this could happen.

KW (and before him, Schueler) have had good relations with Sabean. The Sox have done several deals with the Giants over the past few years.

Schmidt is a guy who is in the final year of his contract. If the Giants are going to be rebuilding, he's someone that they may not resign. This also makes him attractive to the Sox - there is no long-term commitment.

Schmidt's $8.75 million salary is really only $4.5 million or so for the rest of the year. With this year's bump in attendance...and probable playoff tickets to bring in more money, it's manageable. If the Giants want to eat some of the salary - say $2-$3 million, then they might buy a better prospect.

They say that B-Mac and Anderson are untouchable. I don't know about that. I thought Reed was untouchable, too. But a guy like B-Mac (flyball pitcher) fits in very well in a pitcher's park in San Francisco. If I talked to his agent before the deal and felt I could sign Schmidt to a decent three-year deal ($27 mill total), I'd probably do it. I would HATE giving B-Mac up, but - to be quite honest - his stint in Charlotte and with the Sox this year really give me pause.

That said, it won't take more than B-Mac and a low-level position prospect like Collaro to get Schmidt. Or, possibly Anderson and someone like Sean Tracey.

Guys in the last years of their contracts with $ 4.5 million left to pay don't warrant big bucks unless their is a bidding war (which is how I think Seattle got Olivo, Reed and Morse for Garcia). I think there will be enough top-of-the-rotation pitching available that the bidding won't get too bad.

Now, the Twins could make a move for Schmidt. He's their type of pitcher and they could give the Giants Liriano and Scott Baker and get that deal done.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 11:57 PM)
The money is not that big of an issue. The prospects we'd have to give up is though. That's why I wouldn't make this move.

As far as Frank goes, I think Sox management has to keep him around. PK does better with him around(at least the clubhouse). I think management realizes Frank is a lifetime Sox. I also doubt he asks for much more than he's making now. With the team winning and increased revenue, I don't see why he wouldn't be resigned. Maybe Steff has some inside info.

Prospects??? Why is anyone even mentioning keeping prospects. Look at the two that we traded for Freddy, seems we lucked out in that deal. Prospects are not proven, not a sure thing, but this season is starting to look like one. This might be our one chance to take this team to the promised land. Should we sacrafice that for a small chance that one of our propects might be an ok player in the future. Hell no, trade em all, trade em now, we have more. Anderson might never have a spot for him until 2 years for now, trade his ass. BMAC is good, but there may be better behind him, trade him. Trade everyone, I want to win NOW. This is the best team any of us have ever seen, do you want to waste it? I sure as hell dont.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
Prospects??? Why is anyone even mentioning keeping prospects.  Look at the two that we traded for Freddy, seems we lucked out in that deal. Prospects are not proven, not a sure thing, but this season is starting to look like one.  This might be our one chance to take this team to the promised land.  Should we sacrafice that for a small chance that one of our propects might be an ok player in the future.  Hell no, trade em all, trade em now, we have more.  Anderson might never have a spot for him until 2 years for now, trade his ass.  BMAC is good, but there may be better behind him, trade him.  Trade everyone, I want to win NOW.  This is the best team any of us have ever seen, do you want to waste it?  I sure as hell dont.

Olivo the guy I was actually the most depressed to see go has been horrendous but Reed has been decent and Morse has been real good so far, however yeah we easily won that deal imo cause you can't find many pitchers like Freddy. For the most part I agree with you and knowing that Schmidt has a team option for next year I'd make a deal for him in a heartbeat he has a 16 inning scoreless streak right now and he's starting to get it back to the form that made him a cy young candidate for the last few years. Schmidt is a great, great pitcher and the Sox have some money left to spend for this year so why not use it to bring in Jason. Then because he has a team option for next year then you figure out what to do with him next year when next year comes.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
Olivo the guy I was actually the most depressed to see go has been horrendous but Reed has been decent and Morse has been real good so far, however yeah we easily won that deal imo cause you can't find many pitchers like Freddy.  For the most part I agree with you and knowing that Schmidt has a team option for next year I'd make a deal for him in a heartbeat he has a 16 inning scoreless streak right now and he's starting to get it back to the form that made him a cy young candidate for the last few years.  Schmidt is a great, great pitcher and the Sox have some money left to spend for this year so why not use it to bring in Jason.  Then because he has a team option for next year then you figure out what to do with him next year when next year comes.

Think about it this way folks. Down the stretch we play Min a bunch of times. How does this look?

1.MB

2. FG

3. JC

4. JG

5. Jason Schmidt

Honestly, can you even lose 2 games in a row? Three, no way. Schmidt reunited with AJ, returns to his dominant form from last year. We have the bullpen to assure he doesnt overwork his arm (Dusty). That rotation is the best in the league, hands down. Each arm gives you a chance for a shutout, everyday. Thats unbelieveable. Three aces in one rotation, 2 gives teams a WS title, what does three do?

The problem I have with the first post is that it leaves out both CLE & DET.

In the WC race MIN 2 gb, CLE 3.5 gb, DET 4.5 gb. In terms of who has the $ to spend to make a push they all do. MIN is 28% ahead of last year's attendance, CLE has been one of the most profitable franchises in MLB the last decade & Illich is the Tom Hicks of the ALC.

2005 A-33 Schmidt, Jason SFG R 3.86NPERA 76.1IP 74K .753OOP

You can't ignore his 74K's in 76.1IP.

Both CLE & DET feature two strong LHers in their rotation. DET is in greater need of a RHSP than CLE is. If I had to bet on which team will get Schmidt I'd say it's DET. They already have the lineup to score runs. If they add Schmidt to that rotation in that ball park when Maggs returns they might be unbeatable & a probable WC team.

Money is no object to Illich so I'd put him as the favorite to land Schmidt.

The problem is you can't play keep away this year. If you trade the farm to land Schmidt then DET can snag Oswalt. So getting Schmidt for that reason makes no sense.

If I'm KW & I'm willing to spend that kind of $ then Pettite & not Schmidt is my target.

Which of the two will mean greater revenue to the Astros in 2006 (Clemens or Pettite)? The answer is obvious. Is Roger not going to play in 2006 after the year he's having in 2005? Please.

Pettite can probably be had for less than what it will cost to get Schmidt. His post-season experience & AL experience is of no lesser value than El Duque. Will he wave his no trade clause to go to the CWS? Why not? The CWS is the best team in baseball in the same time zone as his family lives today. It's less of an adjustment to move from Houston to Chicago than back to the east coast.

05 A-15 Pettitte, Andy HOU L 3.08NPERA 90.2IP 66K .689OOP

04 B-23 Pettitte, Andy HOU L 2.94NPERA 83.0IP 79K .665OOP

03 A-12 Pettitte, Andy NYY L 3.36NPERA 208.1 180K

If Clemens is available then you would be stupid not to trade the farm to get him.

The guy looks stronger than ever & a good bet for starting another 2 yrs at least.

But I don't see any logic for the Astros in dealing him. His salary is easily paid for by the attendance & media dollars he brings in for the team. You are talking about a player who might just be the biggest marquee name in the game today. The guy is happy living & playing for Houston. They are not as far from contending again as people think. A few more bats & they have everything a contending team has (solid SP, solid BP). Trading Clemens would be stupid.

If I were running HOU I would trade Pettitte over Oswalt. Oswalt is one of the finest young RHers in the game today. Building for 2006 with Clemens, Oswalt, & Backe is a good plan. You just need to buy another LHSP to go with Rodriquez & their set.

HOU stands 7 gb in the NL WC race. That's certainly not insurmountable given what they did last year. They need a LF badly & a LH in their pen. They might be willing to spend Pettitte to get it. That's not a bad move on their part. The White Sox certainly have what they need. Both in the majors & on the farm.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT