Jason Schdimt to the Sox??

Southside hitmen

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:25 AM)
Think about it this way folks.  Down the stretch we play Min a bunch of times.  How does this look?

1.MB

2. FG

3. JC

4. JG

5. Jason Schmidt

Honestly, can you even lose 2 games in a row?  Three, no way.  Schmidt reunited with AJ, returns to his dominant form from last year.  We have the bullpen to assure he doesnt overwork his arm (Dusty).  That rotation is the best in the league, hands down.  Each arm gives you a chance for a shutout, everyday.  Thats unbelieveable.  Three aces in one rotation, 2 gives teams a WS title, what does three do?

It is certainly impressive when you look at it like that. I would switch Garland to my number 3 and put Contreras as the 4, but thats just me.

Last year didnt Schmidt go through a similar start to the year, where his velocity was down and everyone was questioning his arm, and then he kicked into high gear for the remainder of the year? That would be a nice boost for sure.

Here was a Rosenthal piece on Schmidt after his shutout of the Tigers:

The Orioles' top priority is adding a starting pitcher who could pitch Game 1 of a postseason series.

Giants right-hander Jason Schmidt fits that description, but would become a logical target only if he reversed his early-season slide and the Giants chose to move him. Schmidt, 32, threw eight shutout innings in his most recent start against the Tigers, but a scout who attended the game warns that his results were deceiving; Schmidt's velocity remains down, and the Tigers are undisciplined offensively, ranking last in the AL in walks and 11th in runs per game.

Schmidt's contract, however, is the kind that would appeal to the Orioles, who prefer to acquire players that they can retain for more than one season. Schmidt is earning $8.75 million this season with a $10 million option or $3 million buyout for 2006. ...

Rosenthal Article

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
We need an arm in the pen, that's priority #1. Unless there is a super-duper star ace starter available....and I don't see that out there.

Schmidt has been that though and it looks like he's reverting back to that form. I agree another arm in the bullpen should be a priority, however if Shingo continues to throw the way he has his last few outings then imo a bullpen arm really isn't needed cause we'll have 5 studs basically down there with Viz :bang

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
Im listening to the radio here in SF and on XM radio Jayson Stark said that Larry Monroe was  scouting Jason Schmidt  performance last night

Anymore info then that or was that all he said???

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 03:40 PM)
We need an arm in the pen, that's priority #1. Unless there is a super-duper star ace starter available....and I don't see that out there.

Get a top line starter and El Duque goes to the pen. Sounds like killing two birds with one stone to me.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:40 AM)

I don't know if that's true at all. Our primary pitching needs will depend on the performances of Marte and El Duque. If Marte regains form, the pen is in much better shape with 4 solid relievers.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 03:46 PM)
Name that starter.

I was saying a Schmidt or an Oswalt or a Clemens. Anything less should probably go to the 'pen.

BTW...not saying we have a chance on anyone of those guys.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:49 AM)
Stark also said in his interview  that 3 teams that really want Schmidt is the

Whitesox

Orioles

Philadelphia

Philly must really be feeling the heat right now. I just dont see them as a contender this year.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
Philly must really be feeling the heat right now.  I just dont see them as a contender this year.

They're leading the wildcard as of right now in the nl so they are contenders. Maybe Kenny is looking at Schmidt but if Kenny really wants him he'll get him, no doubt about that in my mind.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
I was saying a Schmidt or an Oswalt or a Clemens.  Anything less should probably go to the 'pen.

BTW...not saying we have a chance on anyone of those guys.

I think we have a chance at all three, but I would rather have Oz or JS. I will tell you why. Both team are extremely needy as far as young talent goes. They need major league ready prospects to fill in their old holes. The Giants are about to fire their manager, and need to re-build, especially with Bonds being a huge question mark, and their team being extremely old. They will probably move Alou, and will be able to give a prospect a starting role to aid in development. Brian Anderson could easily fit the bill in the OF. They also would like to bolster their bullpen and could use a young arm. I would be willing to give them both. Schmidt could put the sox out of reach if he returns to Ace form. Oswalt could do the same and is younger as well.

I am all for this move.....and really do think it would be that thing to put us over the top and be a world series team.....we get this down were gonna have over 100 wins this season if not 110

Edited by DABearSoX

SAN FRANCISCO -- Deafening screams of "Schmitttteee!" greeted San Francisco's ace as he made his way from the dugout back to the clubhouse after another outstanding outing.

All those cheers -- not to mention his brilliant pitching of late -- are providing a big boost for Jason Schmidt's ego.

Schmidt pitched eight dominant innings to win consecutive starts for just the second time all season, and the Giants defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks 4-0 Wednesday night.

"It was huge," Schmidt said. "When you get late in the year like this and you're struggling, it really becomes a confidence issue. My confidence is back. I made a lot of adjustments mentally and physically."

Ray Durham moved back to the leadoff spot and hit an RBI single and scored a run, and Moises Alou had three hits, an RBI and a run as the Giants won for the second time in their last five games.

Schmidt (5-3) hadn't won back-to-back outings since beating Los Angeles and Colorado on April 5 and 10 to start the year. He built on his best start of the season last Friday, when he pitched eight shutout innings in a 4-0 win at Detroit.

This time, he struck out a season-high 10 and threw several fastballs clocked at 95 mph, and said, "I feel like there's a whole lot more in there." He also extended his scoreless streak to 17 innings dating to June 11 against Cleveland.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
I don't know if that's true at all. Our primary pitching needs will depend on the performances of Marte and El Duque. If Marte regains form, the pen is in much better shape with 4 solid relievers.

Even if they regain form, I still consider Marte, Shingo and even Cotts "iffy". Sure I think they can get hot for a couple of weeks here and there, but then will slump. What if that slump occurs in October?

We're talking about post season ball, I'd like something more solid.