Jason Schdimt to the Sox??

Southside hitmen

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
well a trade is a trade isn't it? 

i would like to see baseball shorten the season a month so the playoffs aren't played in extreme cold & add a best of five game all-star week to determine the worldseries home team!  The AL vs NL allstars just isn't played out enough IMO.

shorten the season, thats just stupid, or they could start it two weeks earlier and have no problem

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 other thing to toss into this discussion:

Remember this, the usual rule of thumb is that when a pitcher moves from the AL to the NL, his ERA drops by 1 run. When a pitcher moves from the NL to the AL, his ERA goes up by roughly 1 run.

This can vary a little, but when you get rid of the pitcher's easy out slot and have to face a powerful DH, that's the result.

In other words...don't just look at National League ERA's and think they'll put up the same numbers in the AL. It will be 1 run worse per 9 innings, at least.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Ummm, no?  The Astros aren't in contention.  They want to get younger, not older.  Why in the hell would they ever want Everett?  Answer:  they wouldn't.

perhaps a multi-team deal could prompt the move? no offense but the key is not necessarily "get younger, not older", instead it should be "get better, not worse". look at jim parque, dan wright, kip wells, gary glover we sure got younger but where did that get us?

perhaps a multi-team deal could prompt the move?  no offense but the key is not necessarily "get younger, not older", instead it should be "get better, not worse".  look at jim parque, dan wright, kip wells, gary glover we sure got younger but where did that get us?

Maybe, but the Astros would just want prospects or young, cheap MLB-ready players.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
you know this might sound utterly rediculous but i can never understand why the Cubs & Sox don't help each other over the hump especially when one is making a run and the other isn't...the cubs season is by no means over, but in the past couldn't these two teams just rent each others talent and then after the postseason just return to sender?  i mean what is the mayor doing?  as much as i would hate to see the cubs win...it would have been cool to see MB on the Cubs the year they gave away the WS to the Marlins, & how nice it would be to see prior for cubs fans this year pitching for the sox?  there are guys out there that could break legs if the player wasn't returned...no?

so so so stupid...

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)

i would like to see baseball shorten the season a month so the playoffs aren't played in extreme cold & add a best of five game all-star week to determine the worldseries home team!   The AL vs NL allstars just isn't played out enough IMO.

:headshake

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)

i would like to see baseball shorten the season a month so the playoffs aren't played in extreme cold & add a best of five game all-star week to determine the worldseries home team!  The AL vs NL allstars just isn't played out enough IMO.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
1 other thing to toss into this discussion:

Remember this, the usual rule of thumb is that when a pitcher moves from the AL to the NL, his ERA drops by 1 run.  When a pitcher moves from the NL to the AL, his ERA goes up by roughly 1 run.

This can vary a little, but when you get rid of the pitcher's easy out slot and have to face a powerful DH, that's the result.

In other words...don't just look at National League ERA's and think they'll put up the same numbers in the AL.  It will be 1 run worse per 9 innings, at least.

I wouldnt say thats neccesarily true... The era will go up but 1 hitter isnt going to increase it by a whole run... most teams DH's arent even that great... you have Ortiz, Thomas, and Hafner... other than that its mostly avg. players.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:37 AM)
so so so stupid...

well i think STUPID goes a little further than that...perhaps Rasheed leaving Horry open for an uncontested in rhythm roll out the red carpet here you go buddy 3 to lose game 5....was well pretty silly.....or maybe larussa & macquire the year he was injured in the playoffs came out to pinch hit in the bottom of the ninth with a runner on second and first base open trailing by a run? or perhaps Ditka not giving walter the ball for the TD? comments can be taken for what they are worth, actions can be well....... pretty questionable sometimes! i for one would really hate to call someone or somebodys opinion as stupid, but sure comes easily to some. after all you are talking down on your "got your back" white sox bro any time of the day or night! do you have any idea what it is like to be surrounded at a game with just dodgers or angels or A's or Padres fans sporting the jerz and calling em all out? just coming into this forum was to bring the love...? look guys i might bring some weird stuff to the table but if you want me to bap myself on the head to make it in here...well here you go.... :lolhitting

Edited by whitesoxmanager

I dont think he was calling you stupid, because to call someone stupid you know only through a few posts on a message board... well is stupid.

But your little cubs/sox idea of trading each others best players to one another when 1 team is out of contention, well that is a very stupid idea... It would be so wrong and if the Sox did that... I would find a new team to watch.

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)
well i think STUPID goes a little further than that...perhaps Rasheed leaving Horry open for an uncontested in rhythm roll out the red carpet here you go buddy 3 to lose game 5....was well pretty silly.....or maybe larussa & macquire the year he was injured in the playoffs came out to pinch hit in the bottom of the ninth with a runner on second and first base open trailing by a run?  or perhaps Ditka not giving walter the ball for the TD?  comments can be taken for what they are worth, actions can be well....... pretty questionable sometimes!    i for one would really hate to call someone or somebodys opinion as stupid, but sure comes easily to some.  after all you are talking down on your "got your back" white sox bro any time of the day or night!  do you have any idea what it is like to be surrounded at a game with just dodgers or angels or A's or Padres fans sporting the jerz and calling em all out?  just coming into this forum was to bring the love...?  look guys i might bring some weird stuff to the table but if you want me to bap myself on the head to make it in here...well here you go.... :lolhitting

Bring reality to the table(and not talking in the third person), and you will have smooth sailing from here on out.

You ask us to consider a situation in which the Cubs would "lend" us their best players because they are out of contention(which they are not). Did you expect honest "Yeah that sounds like a great idea!" responses?

What purpose would a best of 5 All-Star series serve? Not to mention the fact that All-Stars wouldnt want to play an extra 5 games a season while the rest of the league gets 5 days off, or what would happen should an All-Star get hurt while playing the All-Star series. It just doesnt have any real purpose.

Ask an honest, plausible question. Get an honest, plausible answer. Ask a stupid, theoretical question.....you get the idea.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
Ivanna Getrunover...i know it's corny.

For some reason, I thought of Fred Willards character in "A Mighty Wind". thats the kind of joke he would have told, LOL

back to the schmidt to the sox thing...well i want to know more on the status of el duque b4 i make any kind of pitching move...to me the sox starters are as strong as any team in the majors. i have already said that i think the sox are a lock on the division and that adding schmidt would be sketchy because his fastball could get rocked by good fastball hitting teams in the playoffs. a bene is the cold could help him... and he has been there b4 and done well as an ace. his attitude or character have never come into question, but i am very leary of the move and would rather just keep rollin right along without him. the only butt biter would be if some other team lands him and then he steam rolls us....that is something we don't know right now, but for sure is eatin at KW's

QUOTE(whitesoxmanager @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
a bene is the cold could help him... and he has been there b4 and done well as an ace.  his attitude or character have never come into question, but i am very leary of the move and would rather just keep rollin right along without him.  the only butt biter would be if some other team lands him and then he steam rolls us....that is something we don't know right now, but for sure is eatin at KW's

What?? I couldnt decifer half of your post. But I think you meant that getting another Ace on the staff couldnt help because he throws a fastball?

El Duque is good, but Schmidt is better, in fact he is better than everyone but Mark in my eyes. His career stats speak for themselves, and he is a legit Ace. Adding an Ace to our roster can do nothing but help the team. Our needs our in the bullpen, maybe a resever player and maybe a starter, adding Schmidt would curb the bullpen and rotation woes.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
I wouldnt say thats neccesarily true... The era will go up but 1 hitter isnt going to increase it by a whole run... most teams DH's arent even that great... you have Ortiz, Thomas, and Hafner... other than that its mostly avg. players.

It's not just that. It's the pitcher's spot being a nearly-automatic out.

When a pitcher comes up in the batting order, it's a dead spot. It's a bunt if there's runners on, which hurts the chances at a big inning. It makes sure that you have an out at any point in your inning. It also robs you of guys off of your bench because you need to PH for the pitcher's spot. It also makes you throw less pitches.

What's the ideal thing for a pitcher to do in the NL in a lineup? Start off the inning with the pitcher - because then you get the easy out, and then you're facing the leadoff man with already 1 out, and it's much harder for the other team to start a rally.

One of the guys at ESPN did the numbers on this a few months ago...I can't find the actual link, but his number was that on average, almost every pitcher who goes from the NL to the AL sees his ERA increase by over .9 runs, and the exact opposite is found when they move the other way.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
It's not just that.  It's the pitcher's spot being a nearly-automatic out.

One of the guys at ESPN did the numbers on this a few months ago...I can't find the actual link, but his number was that on average, almost every pitcher who goes from the NL to the AL sees his ERA increase by over .9 runs, and the exact opposite is found when they move the other way.

Tell that to Mark Mulder and Tim Hudson.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 06:36 PM)
It's not just that.  It's the pitcher's spot being a nearly-automatic out.

When a pitcher comes up in the batting order, it's a dead spot.  It's a bunt if there's runners on, which hurts the chances at a big inning.  It makes sure that you have an out at any point in your inning.  It also robs you of guys off of your bench because you need to PH for the pitcher's spot.  It also makes you throw less pitches.

What's the ideal thing for a pitcher to do in the NL in a lineup?  Start off the inning with the pitcher - because then you get the easy out, and then you're facing the leadoff man with already 1 out, and it's much harder for the other team to start a rally.

That might be true for an average pitcher.... But I dont consider Schmidt an avg. pitcher and i would expect his era to be in the 3's if he has returned to form.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 01:51 PM)
That might be true for an average pitcher.... But I dont consider Schmidt an avg. pitcher and i would expect his era to be in the 3's if he has returned to form.

Fully, he is an Ace of a staff that hasnt had much bullpen or other starting guys as well. I fully expect AJ to help him return to form, at least as good as he was last year.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Fully, he is an Ace of a staff that hasnt had much bullpen or other starting guys as well.  I fully expect AJ to help him return to form, at least as good as he was last year.

Does anyone know AJ's history with Jason Schmidt? I know Tomko has it out for AJ, but what other Giants pitchers "hated" him, if any?

If Schmidt/AJ's relationship was good, that could lead to something happening... former battery-mates seem to hook up if they get along, and I guarantee KW is looking into that.