Joe Randa - Whitesox a possibility

Southside hitmen

Randa is 35, do the Twins think he's a long term answer for them??  They are 10 games back, do they see him as a tool necessary to make a push for this year?

For THIS season, they would move Cruddyer to 2nd base. They would move him back to 3rd once Randa is gone. And yes, I could see them going after a guy like Randa. The Twins have a horrible infield, offensively and defensively, and Randa would be a guy they could actually acquire considering he is only on a 1-year, $2.15 million contract. They would only have to pay his prorated salary if they acquired him at the deadline.

Edited by Jabroni

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
I still say it's a mistake to underestimate the kind of year Crede could have , THIS YEAR.

Yes, Joe Crede had a Godawful May.  Absolutely horrid.  Worthy of being benched.

But when's the last time you looked at his performance the other 2 months this year?

BA/OBP/Slug/OPS

April: .304 .368 .456 .824  2 HR

June: .315 .383 .593 .976  4 HR

If he avoids falling into another May at any point this year, he'll hit .290 at this rate.

How long has that been said. He could hit this year, he could hit next year. He's not a good hitter.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
I heard this as well.  I also think Kenny would trade for Randa first, just to cock-block the Twins from getting him.

True. See "Freddy Garcia to the Yankees.....no White Sox."

Here is where the money is earned. This is the stat that will mean something in the postseason. How many times when you have men in scoring position and 2 outs can you drive that run in.

RISP with 2 outs(aka the clutch stat)

Randa .333

Crede .172

Hillenbrand .182

Castilla .242

Get Randa, release Timo and use Cruddy to split time spelling Randa and Konerko at 1st.

I like the idea.  Crede can still provide a good glove coming off the bench.  He can spell Randa and Kong.

Crede is not a 1B and if they used Timo ahead of him at 1B and also considered Dye and Widger ... they sure as hell wouldn't use him at 1B during a pennant race.

They do need a backup 1B though, no doubt about that.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
Get Randa, release Timo and use Cruddy to split time spelling Randa and Konerko at 1st.

Here's the deal...any time you have anyone take Timo's roster spot, things immediately look a lot better. But the fact is...it seems like Ozzie or KW don't want Timo to go - that's why they kept talking about Harris leaving when Gload comes back.

I think we're just as good with Crede at 3rd and Gload taking Timo's spot as we are with Crede and Randa both. If Gload ever heals, of course. If he doesn't, then we need another backup 1b, and I'll concede that point.

Crede is the starting 3B. He simply doesn't add enough defensively to push Crede to the bench. Crede has the edge in terms of 2nd half numbers over the past 3 yrs.

Randa only fits if there is room for him on the bench to backup 1B. He would essentially take Gload's promised spot.

Bench: Widger, Everett, Harris, Ozuna, Randa

- you have to keep Ozuna & Harris for backups in the middle IF & speed.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 04:00 PM)
Crede is the starting 3B.  He simply doesn't add enough defensively to push Crede to the bench.  Crede has the edge in terms of 2nd half numbers over the past 3 yrs.

Randa only fits if there is room for him on the bench to backup 1B.  He would essentially take Gload's promised spot. 

Bench: Widger, Everett, Harris, Ozuna, Randa

- you have to keep Ozuna & Harris for backups in the middle IF & speed.

You would put Randa on the bench over the inconsistant Crede who has a hole in his swing. The guy who even his hitting coach states will be a .240 hitter this year and hasnt accomplished anything from last year.

I would start Randa over Crede in a heartbeat. Anyone that states otherwise needs to check in their Crede's Crew application for some prozac.

Edited by southsideirish71

The guy who even his hitting coach states will be a .240 hitter this year and hasnt accomplished anything from last year.

Where was this stated? I did not see anything like this.

I'm sure you've considered the likelihood of the Sox sticking with Crede, for a number of reasons that have been discussed ad infinitum? And that posting it almost every day on SoxTalk is not gonna change their minds?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
I don't want to start another thread, because this board is already full of no information based trade ideas, but I think the Sox should look hard at Tony G.

1. Can play 3b, SS, 1b, or an OF spot if needed.

2. By the time KC is ready to compete, Tony G will be well gone, so dont tell me we cant trade in the divison

3. Wont have to worry about team chemestry. Knows Frank, Aaron, Paul,Mark Jon,Marte, Crede.

Not looking at Tony to start, just more depth.

Wasn't Graffanino really unhappy about not being a starter here before? And didn't he complain about it?

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:11 PM)
I don't want to start another thread, because this board is already full of no information based trade ideas, but I think the Sox should look hard at Tony G.

2. By the time KC is ready to compete, Tony G will be well gone, so dont tell me we cant trade in the divison

3. Wont have to worry about team chemestry. Knows Frank, Aaron, Paul,Mark Jon,Marte, Crede.

Alright i am not gonna tell you they can't trade within the divsion... but they won't. As jimh is about to tell you have have not dealt with one another for a long as time.

Tough to argue this, he would fit, he's been playing a lot of 1B for KC. Somehow I still think trading within the division is an issue. I understand the Royals being far far away from contention for this year and probably the next 2 after. But there's got to be some reason the two teams haven't dealt with one another in over 15 years. KW was on the radio about two weeks ago and basically said to scratch off any teams in the AL Central in terms of acquiring help.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
Wasn't Graffanino really unhappy about not being a starter here before?  And didn't he complain about it?

Unhappy? Not that i recall. I do recall that he would have liked a chance to start if given the oppurtunity. He also fits in with most of the royals religion wise.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:17 PM)
Tough to argue this, he would fit, he's been playing a lot of 1B for KC.  Somehow I still think trading within the division is an issue.  I understand the Royals being far far away from contention for this year and probably the next 2 after. But there's got to be some reason the two teams haven't dealt with one another in over 15 years. KW was on the radio about two weeks ago and basically said to scratch off any teams in the AL Central in terms of acquiring help.

Am i good or what. :D

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:18 PM)
Unhappy? Not that i recall. I do recall that he would have liked a chance to start if given the oppurtunity. He also fits in with most of the royals religion wise.

I'm pretty sure during one of the games vs. the Royals, Hawk or DJ mentioned that Graff's problem here was that he wasn't starting. they said he wasn't disruptive, but he still wanted a chance to be an everyday player.

QUOTE(AirScott @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
I'm pretty sure during one of the games vs. the Royals, Hawk or DJ mentioned that Graff's problem here was that he wasn't starting.  they said he wasn't disruptive, but he still wanted a chance to be an everyday player.

Maybe they meant he wasn't producing as well because he wasn't starting? Plain and simple, in my opinion anyway, he is not a starter. That is liek saying greasy forehead (ozuna) would be a good starter.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:26 PM)
Maybe they meant he wasn't producing as well because he wasn't starting? Plain and simple, in my opinion anyway, he is not a starter. That is liek saying greasy forehead (ozuna) would be a good starter.

either way, I'm sure they said he wanted to start and wasn't going to get that chance here.