Rove says Democrats don't care about 9/11

Balta1701

The Bush Administration's chief political advisor, and probably the only reason Mr. Bush is even in the White House, Karl Rove?, had some less-than-pleasant things to say about the Democratic Party and terrorism at a Republican Party meeting last night in New York. Go ahead and read it...he's about to suggest that liberals deliberately want the U.S. soldiers in Iraq to die, and don't care at all about 9/11.

Karl Rove came to the heart of Manhattan last night to rhapsodize about the decline of liberalism in politics, saying Democrats responded weakly to Sept. 11 and had placed American troops in greater danger by criticizing their actions.

"Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 in the attacks and prepared for war; liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers," Mr. Rove, the senior political adviser to President Bush, said at a fund-raiser in Midtown for the Conservative Party of New York State.

Citing calls by progressive groups to respond carefully to the attacks, Mr. Rove said to the applause of several hundred audience members, "I don't know about you, but moderation and restraint is not what I felt when I watched the twin towers crumble to the ground, a side of the Pentagon destroyed, and almost 3,000 of our fellow citizens perish in flames and rubble."

Told of Mr. Rove's remarks, Senator Charles E. Schumer, Democrat of New York, replied: "In New York, where everyone unified after 9/11, the last thing we need is somebody who seeks to divide us for political purposes."

Mr. Rove also said American armed forces overseas were in more jeopardy as a result of remarks last week by Senator Richard J. Durbin, Democrat of Illinois, who compared American mistreatment of detainees to the acts of "Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime - Pol Pot or others."

"Has there ever been a more revealing moment this year?" Mr. Rove asked. "Let me just put this in fairly simple terms: Al Jazeera now broadcasts the words of Senator Durbin to the Mideast, certainly putting our troops in greater danger. No more needs to be said about the motives of liberals."

Here is an exerpt from Democratic Senate Leader Harry Reid's response:

"I am deeply disturbed and disappointed that the Bush White House would continue to use the national tragedy of September 11th to try and divide the country. The lesson our country learned on that terrible morning is that we are strongest when we unite together, that America's power is in its common spirit of democracy and freedom.

"Karl Rove should immediately and fully apologize for his remarks or he should resign. The lesson of September 11th is not different for conservatives, liberals or moderates.  It is equally shared and was repeatedly demonstrated in the weeks and months following this tragedy as Americans of all backgrounds and their elected representatives rallied behind the victims and their families, united in our common determination to bring to justice those responsible for these terrible attacks.

"It is time to stop using September 11th as a political wedge issue. Dividing our country for political gain is an insult to all Americans and to the common memory we all carry with us from that day. When it comes to standing up to terrorists, there are no Republicans or Democrats, only Americans. The Administration should be focused on uniting Americans behind our troops and providing them a strategy for success in the war on terror and the conflict in Iraq. I hope the president will join me in repudiating these remarks and urge Mr. Rove to take appropriate action to right this terrible wrong."

The White House also stood by and defended Mr. Rove's remarks.

The White House defended Rove's remarks and accused Democrats of engaging in partisan attacks. Rove, said spokesman Scott McClellan, "was talking about the different philosophies and our different approaches when it comes to winning the war on terrorism."
Of course he's not talking about different approaches Scott. Wonderful spin. He's saying exactly what the Republicans have been saying since 9/11 - the Democrats don't care about Terrorism, and only the Republicans can protect you. It's the message they campaigned on in 2002 and 2004. Rove just said it incredibly bluntly.

Here's something to watch...which will get more coverage, Dick Durbin's remarks or Karl Rove's?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
I am sure he is just misunderstood, or didn't really *mean* what he said.  It was probably just a poor choice of words.

Did I hit all of the Durbin excuses yet?

No, you need a week of media posturing making the Republicans look bad and then an apology filled with tears before you're going to qualify.

Lets look at Manhattan who was actually struck by the terrorists. I think they can do a better job judging who stuck up for them better after the attacks than some old rich white guy.

Manhattan

Dems 82%

Repub 17%

If anyone believes any of Rove's comments...

"Conservatives saw the savagery of 9/11 in the attacks and prepared for war; liberals saw the savagery of the 9/11 attacks and wanted to prepare indictments and offer therapy and understanding for our attackers,"

sounds like something Hannity or Coulter would say, f***ing fascists

Oh yah and I don't call for an apology from Rove, there's no reason to apologize for what you believe in. Now matter how ridiculous.

Fresh off the presses, we have another one...

Rep. Joe Wilson (R-S.C.), who joined Pryce at the press conference, told Cybercast News Service that it "is just inconceivable and truly incorrigible that in the midst of the war, that the Democratic leaders would be conducting guerrilla warfare on American troops...

"The American taxpayer is already providing accommodations for detainees, who are currently more comfortable than most of our men and women in uniform..."

is just inconceivable and truly incorrigible that in the midst of the war, that the Democratic leaders would be conducting guerrilla warfare on American troops...

Someone has to remind these clowns how the Republicans "conducted guerilla warfare" against President Clinton's troops during Kosovo

"The president said if we did nothing, there would be an instability in the region. There would be a flood of refugees, Kosovars would die, and the credibility of NATO would be undermined. Well, Clinton's bombing campaign has caused all these problems to explode"

-Tom Delay

"This is President Clinton's war, and when he falls flat on his face, that's his problem"

-Richard Lugar

I also believe there were 0 US casualties in Kosovo.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 01:27 PM)
Someone has to remind these clowns how the Republicans "conducted guerilla warfare" against President Clinton's troops during Kosovo

"The president said if we did nothing, there would be an instability in the region.  There would be a flood of refugees, Kosovars would die, and the credibility of NATO would be undermined.  Well, Clinton's bombing campaign has caused all these problems to explode"

-Tom Delay

"This is President Clinton's war, and when he falls flat on his face, that's his problem"

-Richard Lugar

I also believe there were 0 US casualties in Kosovo.

Who needs little things like facts? Here's a few more -- gotta love the hypocricy of these goons.

"President Clinton is once again releasing American military might on a foreign country with an ill-defined objective and no exit strategy. He has yet to tell the Congress how much this operation will cost. And he has not informed our nation's armed forces about how long they will be away from home. These strikes do not make for a sound foreign policy."

-Senator Rick Santorum (R-PA)

"No goal, no objective, not until we have those things and a compelling case is made, then I say, back out of it, because innocent people are going to die for nothing. That's why I'm against it."

-Sean Hannity, Fox News, 4/5/99

"American foreign policy is now one huge big mystery. Simply put, the administration is trying to lead the world with a feel-good foreign policy."

-Representative Tom Delay (R-TX)

"If we are going to commit American troops, we must be certain they have a clear mission, an achievable goal and an exit strategy."

-Karen Hughes, speaking on behalf of presidential candidate George W. Bush

And let's not forget my personal favorite...

"Victory means exit strategy, and it's important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is."

-Governor George W. Bush (R-TX)

More here: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/6/18/161016/461

Important to note, Rove didn't say Democrats didn't care about 9/11 but Liberals.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/06/23/rov...h.ap/index.html

Three days after the terrorist attacks, the Senate voted 98-0 and the House voted 420-1 for a resolution authorizing Bush to use "all necessary and appropriate force" against those responsible for the terrorism. After the votes, Bush said in a statement: "I am gratified that the Congress has united so powerfully by taking this action. It sends a clear message -- our people are together, and we will prevail."

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:51 PM)
I am sure he is just misunderstood, or didn't really *mean* what he said.  It was probably just a poor choice of words.

Did I hit all of the Durbin excuses yet?

No, you misunderstood him. He said that we are doing some unacceptable things and simply quoted an FBI interrogator to make his point.

Karl Rove insulted the 48.5% of the population that voted for the Democrats in 2004. He lied too. There was absolute bipartisan support immediately following 9/11.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)
Here's something to watch...which will get more coverage, Dick Durbin's remarks or Karl Rove's?

Well, considering Karl Rove has give rise to the Bush White House and Durbin is some Senator from Illinois ( Ok he is the Minority Whip)

But I think the average American would know Rove's name more than Durbin, so he will get more vigorous coverage

---

On a side note, I love your poltical debates on this forum.

I love how every time a conservative/Republican says or does anything that the liberals think is wrong, they immediately call for their resignation. That must be because they can't defeat them in the elections.

Edited by EvilMonkey

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:21 PM)
I love how every time a conservative/Republican says or does anything that the loberals think is wrong, they immediately call for their resignation.  That must be because they can't defeat them in the elections.

I love how every time a liberal/democrat says or does anything that the right wingers think is wrong, they immediately call for their resignation.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
I love how every time a conservative/Republican says or does anything that the liberals think is wrong, they immediately call for their resignation.  That must be because they can't defeat them in the elections.

Maybe its because the people Democrats ask to resign aren't elected.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 08:21 PM)
I love how every time a conservative/Republican says or does anything that the liberals think is wrong, they immediately call for their resignation.  That must be because they can't defeat them in the elections.

That never happens from the Republican party (Grey Davis, Bill Clinton)

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
The Bush Administration's chief political advisor, and probably the only reason Mr. Bush is even in the White House, Karl Rove?, had some less-than-pleasant things to say about the Democratic Party and terrorism at a Republican Party meeting last night in New York. 

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 06:23 AM)
Aren't you the same guy who bashes Dean for what he says about Republicans at Democratic meetings?

I bash Deam for being an idiot. I don't really care what he says. He's good for my party.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
No, you misunderstood him. He said that we are doing some unacceptable things and simply quoted an FBI interrogator to make his point.

Karl Rove insulted the 48.5% of the population that voted for the Democrats in 2004. He lied too. There was absolute bipartisan support immediately following 9/11.

Of course *I* have to be wrong... God forbid these two racist idiots are both blathering partisian morons who will indict any group and imply any lie possible to try to pander to the radicals of their parties...

I know crap when I hear it. It doesn't matter if it is my party that saids it or not, its still crap.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 06:48 AM)
That's the great thing about living in Indiana... I have no idea what time it is, and it is always happy hour!!!  Look out chickens here we come!!! :drink

Well, I mean happy hour is 3:05 to be exact. (Game time, baby!) :cheers